Linus finally seems to be taking the PS5's SSD (and SSDs on next -gen consoles) seriously

jasonj2232
17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Hehe.  That’s the argument the dualopolists use alright.  Sega just came out with a “console”. It’s four inches across.  They’re trying. 

There’s a term: “market dominance” The market is dominated by Sony and Microsoft with Sony in the lead.  Microsoft is big enough to challenge them. Barely. No one else is.  Game streaming could become a thing.  There’s another one: Nvidia vs Google. And a third accounted market: steam, followed by epic and GoG.

market segments and market dominance are not even remotely new things.  All this crap went down in the late 19th century.  The end game was the trust system, which was broken up and has been sort of rebuilding itself around the few remaining safety valves inserted in the early 20th century.  They’ve already closed off a few of them.

It yoyos, Atari was on top then Nintendo then sony then sony again then Nintendo again then Microsoft now it's sony again and with rumours maybe xbox next gen. As far as game sales though Nintendo dominate 12 of the top 20 of all time are Nintendo games, 6 of those 12 are for the Wii and the next closest exclusive title for a console not made by Nintendo is Kinect adventures at #30 then the last of us at #42

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

28 minutes ago, jasonj2232 said:

Yeah Microsoft so far has only focused on faster loading times.

Most developers have always taken full advantage of the consoles so it's not something I'm worried about.

But they haven’t. N64 had some interesting stuff that never got used for example. Majority though? Yeah.  It will depend.  Part of it is game companies have their own sales and market segments and competitors to consider.  Game companies don’t HAVE to write for more than 4 core, and they don’t HAVE to write for special storage systems.  They could.  Six months ago I was 90% sure most of em would.   Now not quite so much.  Part of the issue is time.  If it takes game developers say, two years to start writing for the storage system PC has two years to develop something developers can write for as well that works along side such.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

It yoyos, Atari was on top then Nintendo then sony then sony again then Nintendo again then Microsoft now it's sony again and with rumours maybe xbox next gen. As far as game sales though Nintendo dominate 12 of the top 20 of all time are Nintendo games, 6 of those 12 are for the Wii and the next closest exclusive title for a console not made by Nintendo is Kinect adventures at #30 then the last of us at #42

Nintendo is surviving well.  They sort of abandoned the console market segment though I suppose they could re enter it.  They have the tech base.  Atm they’re not console makers though.  The implication is they think the console is dead, though the other implication is they couldn’t compete there. Atari is on life support. Whether they even have the capacity to compete in the market anymore is questionable.  Right now they’re making tiny retro game things like sega.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Nintendo is surviving well.  They sort of abandoned the console market segment though I suppose they could re enter it.  They have the tech base.  Atm they’re not console makers though.  The implication is they think the console is dead, though the other implication is they couldn’t compete there. Atari is on life support. Whether they even have the capacity to compete in the market anymore is questionable.  Right now they’re making tiny retro game things like sega.

Nintendo literally made the best selling console over the last few years. Never heard of the switch? Also sega don't just make retro games, they make Yakuza for example. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Nintendo literally made the best selling console over the last few years. Never heard of the switch? Also sega don't just make retro games, they make Yakuza for example. 

Switch isn’t a console though.  It’s a portable.  It is starting to play some console games.

software vs hardware are even farther afield Than console vs portable.  PC does both desktop and portable, they run the same software, and the markets are even more closely tied.  Still not quite the same though.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Switch isn’t a console though.  It’s a portable.  It is starting to play some console games.

software vs hardware are even farther afield Than console vs portable.  PC does both desktop and portable, they run the same software, and the markets are even more closely tied.  Still not quite the same though.

The Nintendo Switch[h] is a video game console developed by Nintendo, released worldwide in most regions on March 3, 2017. It is a hybrid console that can be used as a home console and portable device.

How aren't they the same, you can either get a desktop or an overpriced jet engine that can game for 30 mins before you have to turn it into a desktop. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The Nintendo Switch[h] is a video game console developed by Nintendo, released worldwide in most regions on March 3, 2017. It is a hybrid console that can be used as a home console and portable device.

How aren't they the same, you can either get a desktop or an overpriced jet engine that can game for 30 mins before you have to turn it into a desktop. 

My understanding is that the switch is 720p, has radically less power than the other consoles, and while it can be used docked this is rarely actually done.  Game selection is both smaller and more expensive.  The games generally are less preferable.  I don’t own one though so my knowledge is limited.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My understanding is that the switch is 720p, has radically less power than the other consoles, and while it can be used docked this is rarely actually done.  Game selection is both smaller and more expensive.  The games generally are less preferable.  I don’t own one though so my knowledge is limited.

It had two of the best games ever made released as exclusives in its first year... Obviously the library will be smaller it's 4 years younger.

The screen is 720p when docked it's 1080. Less power doesn't mean worse.