ASUS TUF Gaming x3 RX5700xt - can you actually use it?

uberas
Go to solution Solved by uberas,

To anyone in market for discounted one, you can fix it by two ways:

1) custom aggressive curve, as the card needs airflow and fan goes up and down - we need stable, at least 32% - good temps around 82-90C

2) Wattman often crashes the settings so for ease of my mind I’ve installed case fan blowing directly at memory, zip ties to cpu cooler. It’s not perfect, but you’ll get 86-94C

D2F37319-6B81-4644-A0B5-66F3765D6E6D.jpeg

065A30E0-4B74-4F80-8F28-151FE93D1EC8.bmp

ASUS itself was pissing me for like 2 weeks now. They won’t help, just refer to retailer, sad but avoid this company at any cost. Laughable 

Hello,

i have successfully swapped my reference 5700 for rx5700xt from ASUS. Yes, I am aware of risks, but it’s brand new card under 3 years warranty. It haven’t yet arrived, amazon UK does not seem to know whenever it’s EVO or not (in fact their desc says 5700 but.. CS assured me it’ll be XT)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Space-grade-Resistance-Auto-Extreme-Compatibility/dp/B07WFQPLMX

I mean.. ASUS stopped producing those and it’s new drop? I can’t find EVO version elsewhere on amazon.

Nevermind, EVO is fixed but my question is aimed to Non-evo users - can you actually use this card? Hardwareunbox showed 105C on memory, but other less popular channels shows around 85/95C which is way better and would make this card useful.

ASUS also have published efficiency BIOS available here:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/TUF-3-RX5700XT-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Haven’t seen any reviews with new version, it might help but I don’t really see any voltage or frequency difference?

Well if it does turn out to be the original TUF X3, best case scenario it dies, you RMA it and get the TUF X3 EVO.

The EVO actually has its cooler have direct contact with the memory, therefore solving the whole card dying problem. It's still a little louder than other 5700XT models (you can turn the fans down but it will perform worse cooling wise), but it works.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

There were reports of premature failure on these cards owing to the very high GDDR6 temperatures. HWUnboxed's one was one of those that ran beyond safe spec. 

I personally wouldn't buy a 5700XT from ASUS. Even though the TUF EVO has resolved the terrible VRAM cooling performance and the STRIX has somewhat fixed the mounting pressure debacle, the way ASUS has handled them really made me lose faith in their 5700XTs. I'd be more likely to buy a Sapphire Pulse or Powercolor Red Dragon or a Sapphire Nitro+ at the top end of the stack. 

Regardless, if your card is indeed the original, I'd suggest asking if it can be replaced with the Evo free of charge. The TUF Evo isn't terrible, just kind of meh in the sea of 5700XTs. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well if it does turn out to be the original TUF X3, best case scenario it dies, you RMA it and get the TUF X3 EVO.

The EVO actually has its cooler have direct contact with the memory, therefore solving the whole card dying problem. It's still a little louder than other 5700XT models (you can turn the fans down but it will perform worse cooling wise), but it works.

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

There were reports of premature failure on these cards owing to the very high GDDR6 temperatures. HWUnboxed's one was one of those that ran beyond safe spec. 

I personally wouldn't buy a 5700XT from ASUS. Even though the TUF EVO has resolved the terrible VRAM cooling performance and the STRIX has somewhat fixed the mounting pressure debacle, the way ASUS has handled them really made me lose faith in their 5700XTs. I'd be more likely to buy a Sapphire Pulse or Powercolor Red Dragon or a Sapphire Nitro+ at the top end of the stack. 

Regardless, if your card is indeed the original, I'd suggest asking if it can be replaced with the Evo free of charge. The TUF Evo isn't terrible, just kind of meh in the sea of 5700XTs. 

Yeah, I’m aware of this issue. Okay, let’s see what’s gonna actually arrive and what are the temps plus ASUS response 

1 minute ago, uberas said:

Yeah, I’m aware of this issue. Okay, let’s see what’s gonna actually arrive and what are the temps plus ASUS response 

Best of luck. Keep us updated. 

IMO, ASUS should be replacing it as the original is a product of severely deficient design that significantly affects its performance and especially lifespan. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

IMO, ASUS should be replacing it as the original is a product of severely deficient design that significantly affects its performance and especially lifespan. 

I will, however seen the stories that they don’t really care

should be with me on Saturday

11 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Actually, I’ve just read that it’ll take 20-30 days for RMA and shipping around £20 which would buy me PowerColor model - so if I’m not getting EVO AND temps on memory above 90C I’m just sending it back to amazon 

On 6/3/2020 at 8:30 PM, D13H4RD said:

Apparently nothing to do with ASUS:

"ASUS do not handle the warranty process for your product directly and we advise that you contact your retailer who will support you during the full warranty period of your product and will be able to arrange a repair/replacement or refund via their distribution channels if the product is still within its warranty period."

Card just appeared. So, 20 mins testing OCCT 3D maxed 22C ambient and:

gpu:72C

hotspot 97C

vrm: 75C

mem: 82C

fan:50%

little worried about hotspot but AMD claims 110C is max so it’s within specs 

AND I haven’t even checked efficiency bios yet, also had a thought to install another fan to blow directly onto card from side? Don’t have window

Okay, so 4K results in 98+C on memory. If you play 1080p it’s fine. Gonna return

43 minutes ago, uberas said:

Okay, so 4K results in 98+C on memory. If you play 1080p it’s fine. Gonna return

Yeah, that's far from ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone in market for discounted one, you can fix it by two ways:

1) custom aggressive curve, as the card needs airflow and fan goes up and down - we need stable, at least 32% - good temps around 82-90C

2) Wattman often crashes the settings so for ease of my mind I’ve installed case fan blowing directly at memory, zip ties to cpu cooler. It’s not perfect, but you’ll get 86-94C

D2F37319-6B81-4644-A0B5-66F3765D6E6D.jpeg

065A30E0-4B74-4F80-8F28-151FE93D1EC8.bmp

ASUS itself was pissing me for like 2 weeks now. They won’t help, just refer to retailer, sad but avoid this company at any cost. Laughable