Summer Folding Sprint of 2020

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

PRIZES!!!!!

With the posting of this, we have now concluded the event. If you would like to continue folding I ask that you pop over to the Folding Community Board!

@TVwazhere or @leadeater can one of you guys lock this thread please now. 

Thank you everyone, see you again soon!

Happy folding,

Spec.

And here it is, just a list mind you

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hype to kick this one off! Heat in my office is gonna kick my ass, but in all fairness to me it was even without the spicy components spun up for folding 😛

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 6/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, SenKa said:

Another event for me! Have a bit more compute this time, been folding with my GTX670 24/7 since the COVID event started, and still going as strong as it started. Which... isnt very, but hey, better than nothing. My setup has gotten much better since the last event, 280MM CLC on top of my 3900X and a hybrid 2080 super :D 

All full tilt for #TeamLTT

What sort of temps are you getting on your 3900x after it's been folding for a while? 
I just got my first rig built and have a 3900x with a H115i aio cooler and so far I'm not impressed. Idle it's 40-50 and it gets up to about 90 after running full tilt for 24 hours. Water temp only gets up to about 34, idles at 31. And I've got 3 LL120 fans up front on intake, 2 LL120's on the bottom of the case also on intake, a rear LL120 for exhaust and the x2 140mm fans on the radiator up top on exhaust duty. 

20200603_224942.jpg

20200604_152617.jpg

After Thermal Paste @ 9pm.png

Folding Stats

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x,  GPU- NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super , Case- Corsair 680X , RAM -Corsair Vengeance RGB (x2) 16GB 3200MHz

AIO- Corsair H115i Platinum RGB Cooler,  PSU-Corsair HX750i  , MOBO- MSI X570 MEG Unify  , And (x6) Corsair LL120 fans

Corsair K95 Platinum Keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse , Samsung Curved 65" 4K TV & (x2) 32" curved Samsung Monitors (currently sitting in their boxes as I've got nowhere to put them)

FAQ: 

1. Yes, I've got the 'beetus

2. No, I'm not fat. It's Type 1, not Type 2

3. Yes, I can in fact eat sugar and not die. That's what Insulin is for. 

2 hours ago, MISTERDIEABETIC said:

What sort of temps are you getting on your 3900x after it's been folding for a while? 
I just got my first rig built and have a 3900x with a H115i aio cooler and so far I'm not impressed. Idle it's 40-50 and it gets up to about 90 after running full tilt for 24 hours. Water temp only gets up to about 34, idles at 31. And I've got 3 LL120 fans up front on intake, 2 LL120's on the bottom of the case also on intake, a rear LL120 for exhaust and the x2 140mm fans on the radiator up top on exhaust duty. 

My 3900X hits 88C (tdie avg) on 22 threads of FAH on an H110i GT, water temp usually peaks at 38C with these early summer ambients. Stock clocks other than -0.1V offset. Hits 79C in Linux without the AIO profile.

Edit: ran a quick 1h WU for verification

Spoiler

image.png.e18e048f8c53b71ebc01109b1e157dce.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I TOTALLY forgot to turn on the 1080ti and release the 1070ti's last night.... Well its okay I'll just be a bit more behind on PPD than I usually am 🙄

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

My 3900X hits 88C (tdie avg) on 22 threads of FAH on an H110i GT, water temp usually peaks at 38C with these early summer ambients. Stock clocks other than -0.1V offset. Hits 79C in Linux without the AIO profile.

Edit: ran a quick 1h WU for verification

Hide contents

image.png.e18e048f8c53b71ebc01109b1e157dce.png

Thanks for the reply!
I just keep thinking that these temps should be a bit lower, especially sine the water temp only raises 3° while the CPU raises 30°-40°. I even went ahead and replaced the TIM that came on the AIO with some Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut and that didn't seem to change much of anything, maybe a degree or two at best. I mean even at idle I've got all 6 120mm fans, the x2 radiator fans and the pump all on maximum and still can't get the idle temps to drop below 49° (avg). Also, those temps are from only running 20 threads on F@H (still gotta watch anime while PC is doing it's thing)

Btw, what program is that  you're using to plot the CPU temps?

Folding Stats

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x,  GPU- NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super , Case- Corsair 680X , RAM -Corsair Vengeance RGB (x2) 16GB 3200MHz

AIO- Corsair H115i Platinum RGB Cooler,  PSU-Corsair HX750i  , MOBO- MSI X570 MEG Unify  , And (x6) Corsair LL120 fans

Corsair K95 Platinum Keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse , Samsung Curved 65" 4K TV & (x2) 32" curved Samsung Monitors (currently sitting in their boxes as I've got nowhere to put them)

FAQ: 

1. Yes, I've got the 'beetus

2. No, I'm not fat. It's Type 1, not Type 2

3. Yes, I can in fact eat sugar and not die. That's what Insulin is for. 

13 minutes ago, MISTERDIEABETIC said:

Thanks for the reply!
I just keep thinking that these temps should be a bit lower, especially sine the water temp only raises 3° while the CPU raises 30°-40°. I even went ahead and replaced the TIM that came on the AIO with some Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut and that didn't seem to change much of anything, maybe a degree or two at best. I mean even at idle I've got all 6 120mm fans, the x2 radiator fans and the pump all on maximum and still can't get the idle temps to drop below 49° (avg). Also, those temps are from only running 20 threads on F@H (still gotta watch anime while PC is doing it's thing)

Btw, what program is that  you're using to plot the CPU temps?

I think 3950Xs tend to run slightly cooler, might be due to precision boost algorithms. 40-50C on idle seems to be the norm.

HWInfo to log sensor data and excel to plot the graph.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

7 hours ago, MISTERDIEABETIC said:

Keep in mind that for 24/7 sustained load that air coolers will work more effectively than AIOs as the liquid will saturate with heat at a certain point to a level where the size of the rad and flow through it can not keep it lower.

Also important, Ryzen CPUs with an X differ from say Intel CPUs as they report temps almost + 20c due to an AMD built in offset in most hardware monitoring tools.   (This post is older, but seems to still track for my Threadripper and 3700x.

Best to use Ryzen master to see what the real die temps are on the CPU as OS / 3rd party tools like those bundled with AIOs will pretty much always report the CPU as being on fire while the coolant temp is where you expect it to be.

At a glance in the OS, best way to see if you're cooling your Ryzen chip well is the clock / boost speed as if you're boosting the chip is running in spec and cool enough... if it's running a low boost or at base you're thermal throttling and too hot.  

Cooling Ryzen AM4 and TR4 CPUs is not always what it appears to be. 

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I TOTALLY forgot to turn on the 1080ti and release the 1070ti's last night.... Well its okay I'll just be a bit more behind on PPD than I usually am 🙄

You still got a few hours till sprint starts AFAIK 🙄

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

4 minutes ago, Favebook said:

A little over 5 30 mins in fact

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

A little over 5 40 mins in fact

Oh I thought it started. 

Well, good news is ITNOS ad main rig are now at full power so I'll have an extra 12 hours of WU's created which isnt a bad thing to anyone except my electricity bill. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, marknd59 said:

I hope you told Den-Fi that the sprint starts on Monday to give all a head start.

Nope. He's already at 18m PPD

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=738995

sigimage.php?u=738995

Final testing of the sheet is complete, all behaviour within expected parameters. 

Looks like we are go for event. 

I know by this point the tests are most probably unnecessary but I like to check everything still works as expected regardless. 

It is 5 hours 15 minutes till the event starts, happy folding everyone and have a good event.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I also get around 40C idle. I'm using Noctua NH-D15 as my cooler. I have 3 more fans in the case, 2 intake fans in the front, 1 exhaust fan out the back.

When I run F@H without any adjustments overnight, the CPU sits at 87C at 3.9-4.0GHZ.  CPU uses up 113 Watts.

I use Ryzen Master to underclock my 3900X just to keep the temps down in my office 🥵.  After all night folding on 22 threads it is sitting at around 73.5C. Clock speed is at 3.75GHz. CPU uses 75 Watts.

It makes a difference in the temperature in the office, but its still warmer than anywhere else in the house.

All numbers come from the Ryzen Master Application, I read that it's possible the power numbers are wrong depending on which x570 motherboard you use.

Just now, Macaw2000 said:

Start your engines! 

@Den-Fi @GOTSpectrum @rodarkone

Trolling1.jpg

I fold full power 24/7 minus power limiting cards for efficiency, you won't see much if any higher production outta me for the most part. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

24 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

Start your engines! 

@Den-Fi @GOTSpectrum @rodarkone

Trolling1.jpg

this is great im still laughing at the SS Den-Fi!😆

ive been warming up engines for 3 days now, it takes alot to get this many cards and rigs up and stable lol

Well in final prep I've managed to slice my finger on a damn heatsink, luckily I'm still choch full of antibiotics so I'll be fine!

I really need to be taking it easy geez.

IMG_20200612_205016.jpg

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

can everyone thank @Jawa_Juice for their generous donation of two 20USD steam keys to the prize pool!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

can everyone thank @Jawa_Juice for their generous donation of two 20USD steam keys to the prize pool!

Thanks Spinning Cookie Gif

animatedcookie.thumb.gif.2e3fa2d6f1d1253d35a046ae20e59d84.gif

Good thing I came back to look at this thread again.  I didn't look at the time zone originally so I was going to start folding based on local time, instead of in sub-3 hours.