Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Task Manager shows a lot more memory being used than the Users tab

hormelspam23
 Share

Hello there,

 

First time posting on the LTT forums, but a long time LTT-watcher. 

 

I've noticed that there is an extremely high amount of memory that my system is using, as seen in Task manager, but the Users tab only shows me using a fraction of that amount. This has been a consistent observation I've seen over the past few months, and I've never really had any problem with it since it does not affect system performance (except in a few rare instances). 

 

Performance tab: Image

Users tab: Image

 

As you can see, apparently I'm using 86% of my 32gb of RAM, though my actual administrator account (the only one loaded on the system) is using about 7gb. That's quite literally only a quarter of what it says I am using. I've seen from other threads that Resource Monitor would give a more accurate reading (as it shows how much memory is actually "in use" vs. "standby"), but it gives the same 27gb "in use" reading as Task Manager.

 

Looking down the processes list, aside from a few active applications, most processes use only 0-5mb of memory, so even with a quick scan it doesn't seem to add up to the apparent 27gb usage, and 7gb seems much more reasonable. 

 

Even after restarting and closing all processes, there is about a 15-20 gb memory usage seemingly from nothing.

 

Does anyone know why this happens, and why Task Manager seems to show a lot more memory in use? I'm not necessarily looking for a fix, I'm just intrigued at why this happens. Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

First check and post screenshot of your processes tab, sorted by Memory usage. There's usually a reason, be it system reserving RAM for something or malware or memory leak.

 

E: Also screenshot from Resources tab would be nice to see.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

First check and post screenshot of your processes tab, sorted by Memory usage. There's usually a reason, be it system reserving RAM for something or malware or memory leak.

 

E: Also screenshot from Resources tab would be nice to see.

Processes tab:

image.png.e0d3de6addc46db109329cf1baebdc7f.png

Resource Monitor: image.thumb.png.2d44ecc504b46e26d902f90ba162b50e.png

There's only 3 applications using over 1gb of memory, but there's apparently 27gb in use, which is intriguing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, hormelspam23 said:

Processes tab:

image.png.e0d3de6addc46db109329cf1baebdc7f.png

Resource Monitor: image.thumb.png.2d44ecc504b46e26d902f90ba162b50e.png

There's only 3 applications using over 1gb of memory, but there's apparently 27gb in use, which is intriguing.

Yeah... I can get to half of that by taking into account possibility that pagefile and iGPU could. be paying some factor. And since it starts after booting, its something just taking better part of RAM and sitting in corner snickering with it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah... I can get to half of that by taking into account possibility that pagefile and iGPU could. be paying some factor. And since it starts after booting, its something just taking better part of RAM and sitting in corner snickering with it.

Wait wait can you put that into laymans terms for me lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hormelspam23 said:

Wait wait can you put that into laymans terms for me lol

Pagefile and iGPU? Last part was joke. And I don't know how to find out that.

 

Pagefile is virtual memory. You configure that from system settings. If you have disabled it, this might be result. iGPU is enabled for suitable CPUs by default. Motherboard reserves some part of RAM for it, usually 1-3Gb. If you don't use it, you could disable it from BIOS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pagefile and iGPU? Last part was joke. And I don't know how to find out that.

 

Pagefile is virtual memory. You configure that from system settings. If you have disabled it, this might be result. iGPU is enabled for suitable CPUs by default. Motherboard reserves some part of RAM for it, usually 1-3Gb. If you don't use it, you could disable it from BIOS.

Wait so are these directly causing these extremely high RAM usages? 1-3gb still doesn't account for the ~23gb difference between system and user memory use. I heard from somewhere else that there could be a driver memory leak? That goes way above my level of knowledge however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×