Maybe it's time for journalists to learn coding - Microsoft sacks MSN employees for AI

williamcll

In what is an ongoing trend among internet new providers, companies are now replacing their journalists with computers that could write their own news articles. MSN is the latest to be hit with this change.

Staff who maintain the news homepages on Microsoft’s MSN website and its Edge browser – used by millions of Britons every day – have been told that they will be no longer be required because robots can now do their jobs.

5254.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=4363c21f5fa6a03a64cc393f152954c6

Around 27 individuals employed by PA Media – formerly the Press Association – were told on Thursday that they would lose their jobs in a month’s time after Microsoft decided to stop employing humans to select, edit and curate news articles on its homepages. Employees were told Microsoft’s decision to end the contract with PA Media was taken at short notice as part of a global shift away from humans in favour of automated updates for news. Sign up to the Media Briefing: news for the news-makers Read more One staff member who worked on the team said: “I spend all my time reading about how automation and AI is going to take all our jobs, and here I am – AI has taken my job.”

Some of the journalists now facing redundancy had longstanding experience in the industry, while for others it offered a foot in the door and a job in an industry which has seen wave after wave of cuts. They now face a tough challenge to get jobs elsewhere when the whole industry is looking to cut costs. Other teams around the world are expected to be affected by Microsoft’s decision to automate the curation of its news sites. In common with other news organisations, PA Media is facing tough financial challenges and has had to furlough some staff and ask others to take pay cuts. The company has expanded outside its traditional news agency business, recently buying stock image business Alamy shortly before the pandemic devastated the media industry. A spokesperson for the company said: “We are in the process of winding down the Microsoft team working at PA, and we are doing everything we can to support the individuals concerned. We are proud of the work we have done with Microsoft and know we delivered a high-quality service.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/30/microsoft-sacks-journalists-to-replace-them-with-robots

Thoughts: Years ago journalists made fun of programmers and other blue collar jobs about they are far less paying and not much of a contribution to society. Jump to 2019 now they get mad when twitter tells them to learn coding. This trend of human writers replaced with computers isn't likely to stop, just like the industrial revolution. I couldn't think of ethical concerns about this either.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

ears ago journalists made fun of programmers and other blue collar jobs about they are far less paying and not much of a contribution to society.

Tables a turning ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Tables a turning ...

Fuck it, I'ma laugh.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I am both amused and concerned. 

Only concerned. The protection of the privileged few is nearing full immunity. 

It might be too late to even stop this. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Only concerned. The protection of the privileged few is nearing full immunity. 

It might be too late to even stop this. 

Maybe.

I view most modern day journalists as imagining themselves of that privileged few. If I get the chance to witness the people responsible for enabling the horror that is coming realize that they themselves will be on the receiving end as well as all the people they look down upon, I'll be a little less angry about it.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Maybe.

I view most modern day journalists as imagining themselves of that privileged few. If I get the chance to witness the people responsible for enabling the horror that is coming realize that they themselves will be on the receiving end as well as all the people they look down upon, I'll be a little less angry about it.

I won't. Being paid so much to cover so little of reality. It really sickens me that we allowed them to grow and concentrate so much power in the first place. 

My only issue with this AI is how it will be trained. Will it remove literally everything leaving nothing for interpretation or will it play the fence game where "meh, I mean, sort of, on the other hand". There will be even less challenge to authority going forward. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Consumer markets mean the consumer rules the market.  There *is* a way to fight this.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I won't. Being paid so much to cover so little of reality. It really sickens me that we allowed them to grow and concentrate so much power in the first place. 

My only issue with this AI is how it will be trained. Will it remove literally everything leaving nothing for interpretation or will it play the fence game where "meh, I mean, sort of, on the other hand". There will be even less challenge to authority going forward. 

Potentially it could serve to actually do what the news should do, convey information with context, but without slant or bias all too common in the journalism of today.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Freedom of speech is important, but at the same time journalists have become far more powerful than I think the founders realized. There has got to be some way of holding them responsible for lying or misleading the public. Nothing like a "ministry of truth", where things must be approved before they are printed, but at least some form of redress should be applicable to them.

For instance, what some journalists did to those kids in DC a while back. The journalists went way over the line in calling for them to be doxxed and harassed, as well as for having their school harassed. And it turns out most of what the journalists said was complete bullshit.

Just now, Tristerin said:

Consumer markets mean the consumer rules the market.  There *is* a way to fight this.  

An important thing to remember. Although I can see them selling this on "accuracy without bias" when there is totally bias present.

16 hours ago, williamcll said:

I couldn't think of ethical concerns about this either.

More than ethical, I have a quality concern. There is no AI capable of good journalism. Therefore, the number of journalists being successfully replaced is an indication of the amount of cklickbait, copy-pasta, regurgitated press release, Twitter-embedding garbage being produced everyday and sent away to spam the world. 

Like, we would all be better off if this AI itself was replaced by absolutely nothing, just silence - I really don't need the clutter of Justin Bieber "news" on my way to the webmail login screen. Whether human- or robot-made. 

44 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Potentially it could serve to actually do what the news should do, convey information with context, but without slant or bias all too common in the journalism of today.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Freedom of speech is important, but at the same time journalists have become far more powerful than I think the founders realized. There has got to be some way of holding them responsible for lying or misleading the public. Nothing like a "ministry of truth", where things must be approved before they are printed, but at least some form of redress should be applicable to them.

For instance, what some journalists did to those kids in DC a while back. The journalists went way over the line in calling for them to be doxxed and harassed, as well as for having their school harassed. And it turns out most of what the journalists said was complete bullshit.

An important thing to remember. Although I can see them selling this on "accuracy without bias" when there is totally bias present.

I mean there is sorta already something like that on Twitter and YouTube. Anything they think isn't true they autoban it. I mean they banned a biomedical engineering company that talked about one of trumps statements being true because they had a new device that they would put down your throat into your lungs to shine uv light to destroy bacteria or something along those lines. Twitter instantly banned them thinking it was fake new only later to retract it. Also I remember when CNN blackmailed a person threatening to doxx them for making a meme about them with trump wwe slamming them. They ended up regretting it after 4chan reacted and tought them why you never mess with 4chan users. 

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

In what is an ongoing trend among internet new providers, companies are now replacing their journalists with computers that could write their own news articles. MSN is the latest to be hit with this change.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/30/microsoft-sacks-journalists-to-replace-them-with-robots

Thoughts: Years ago journalists made fun of programmers and other blue collar jobs about they are far less paying and not much of a contribution to society. Jump to 2019 now they get mad when twitter tells them to learn coding. This trend of human writers replaced with computers isn't likely to stop, just like the industrial revolution. I couldn't think of ethical concerns about this either.

This isn't an accurate statement.

Microsoft is replacing people who curate and edit articles, not people who write articles.  Now, there are AI projects meant to write articles from scratch, but they're not really ready for situations like this.

Also, there are definitely ethical concerns.  You do know algorithms can be biased, right?  Intentionally or otherwise.  One of the main concerns about face recognition is that the AI can have problems detecting non-white faces, frequently because it's trained on skewed data sets.  You could skew an article-curating AI to favor stories on certain subjects, from certain outlets, with particular spins... AI is no guarantee of objectivity.

23 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean there is sorta already something like that on Twitter and YouTube. Anything they think isn't true they autoban it. I mean they banned a biomedical engineering company that talked about one of trumps statements being true because they had a new device that they would put down your throat into your lungs to shine uv light to destroy bacteria or something along those lines. Twitter instantly banned them thinking it was fake new only later to retract it. Also I remember when CNN blackmailed a person threatening to doxx them for making a meme about them with trump wwe slamming them. They ended up regretting it after 4chan reacted and tought them why you never mess with 4chan users. 

The problem is information overload. By the time a retraction occurs, a significant portion of those who viewed the information will continue behaving as though it is true, and the longer they continue that way, the more deeply believed in the information will be.

There's a lot of examples for this.

I used to spend hours a day reading news, magazines, papers. That was a decade or more ago. 

Now I can't even bring myself to head the titles of the front page of a couple news sites before feeling like I might vomit. 

Journalism doesn't exist anymore, it is just trash propaganda one way or another. There is no investigation, no revealing, no fighting the good fight. And also there is no informing without bias. I can't read news about men going to space without political and ideological ideas being shoved down my throat. I can't read Corona vírus news without politics. 

Even natural disasters and everyday accidents are reported like Soviet propaganda out of 1984. 

I say good riddance, I won't miss you. 

half the news reports I see on CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc are all  AP reposts. I'm pretty sure a bot can ( and does ) do that. 

A lot of the other "news" articles I see anyways are based on one source ( usually a tweet or the like ) and I feel that eventually bots will take over that anyways. Think about a bot that takes a social media post from a well known person about a current event and uses a template to create an article. It seems very familiar to what current "news" is anyways, and I doubt it would be too hard to execute

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler