Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Raspberry Pi in PS1 Slim case

Go to solution Solved by Minimalist Manta Ray,

I have never owned a PS1 slim, so I can't say anything about how easily it can fit a RPi. You could look at using the Pi Zero, it has a much smaller form factor and should be relative easier, but has way less processing power than say a Pi 3/4.

14 hours ago, RobTheRealLifeAnimoo said:

I'm sure it would fit after unsoldering the ethernet jack and the usb ports.

You can remove the ethernet port and still use the wireless networking, and solder a USB breakout to the Pi. I think a single usb port would fit in the cutout for the "A/V out" connector to which you can just connect a USB hub for expansion.

15 hours ago, RobTheRealLifeAnimoo said:

Also, would it be possible to connect the DVD reader from the PS1 to a raspberry pi as well and making the Pi boot when clicking the power button on the ps1 ?

From what I can tell looking at teardowns and images, I don't think it would be possible(or practical) to retain the DVD reader as not only does it take up a lot of space but also uses some proprietary connectors.

For the power button, it is soldered to the motherboard so you might have to desolder that from the board and use it to build another circuit that controls the power supply to the Pi via a USB connector.

It would be an interesting project to build although it would require quite some effort to maintain the outer look of the console(if it requires too much modding). Good Luck!

So, Today I was holding my old ps1 slim - broken unfortunately and I was like why won't I put a Raspberry Pi in it and install Retroarch or Steam Link. I'm really thinking about doing it, but I measured the dimensions and I'm not sure if it would fit. I'm sure it would fit after unsoldering the ethernet jack and the usb ports. So, I would have to solder them on using wires like an extension and putting them where I want in the PS1 case. I just don't know if it is worth it. Buying the Pi and soldering stuff on it. Also, would it be possible to connect the DVD reader from the PS1 to a raspberry pi as well and making the Pi boot when clicking the power button on the ps1 ? Maybe it would be better to use some alternative to Pi. I have never did anything like this before. I appreciate any help or advice.

I have never owned a PS1 slim, so I can't say anything about how easily it can fit a RPi. You could look at using the Pi Zero, it has a much smaller form factor and should be relative easier, but has way less processing power than say a Pi 3/4.

14 hours ago, RobTheRealLifeAnimoo said:

I'm sure it would fit after unsoldering the ethernet jack and the usb ports.

You can remove the ethernet port and still use the wireless networking, and solder a USB breakout to the Pi. I think a single usb port would fit in the cutout for the "A/V out" connector to which you can just connect a USB hub for expansion.

15 hours ago, RobTheRealLifeAnimoo said:

Also, would it be possible to connect the DVD reader from the PS1 to a raspberry pi as well and making the Pi boot when clicking the power button on the ps1 ?

From what I can tell looking at teardowns and images, I don't think it would be possible(or practical) to retain the DVD reader as not only does it take up a lot of space but also uses some proprietary connectors.

For the power button, it is soldered to the motherboard so you might have to desolder that from the board and use it to build another circuit that controls the power supply to the Pi via a USB connector.

It would be an interesting project to build although it would require quite some effort to maintain the outer look of the console(if it requires too much modding). Good Luck!