instaling windows on new pc with reused ssd

cigias

Hello, I will be changing most of my computer but reusing the drives and I was wondering how will the windows instalation work if I use an ssd with windows already on in. Will the pc just boot up in windows automatically? Or will I have to do a new instal? Or others?

You can certainly try to use the same drives. (You should BACKUP your data before!)

But if you Change most parts you have a high Chance of running into problems.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

You should do a clean install if you want windows to work properly without issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do a clean install of Windows 10 else you'll have several more threads asking for fixes to random issues that will appear

With Win10 it should work fine. Though if the jump is big or OS is 5+ years in use, I would say it's better to start fresh.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just boot and check.

If you have a plan to made clean install anyway, checking "what happens" is really good idea - you may learn something (for example that you don't must reinstall system).

In case ANY mythical "issues" - let us know. I really, after years of adjusting operating systems to different hardware (sometimes extremely different like switch from 8th gen i7 uefi to core quad legacy), want to know that. :)

@NZgamer - even more! Don't limit yourself to remove all partitions (no matter if they contains data or system I assume?). OP probably should (or must) also delete all data from all hard drives he has (and his family too), change internet provider, replace electrical outlets (all of them), change keyboard and replace monitor. New clean clothes can help too.

I really hope some day this tech forum becomes place when people can get serious answer, based on users' experience, not on some beliefs not supported by any evidence. Every day someone asked on this forum for help, because he tries to made clean install. If I jump to conclusions without thinking, I would say that clean install is very dangerous and causes many problems.

This post was written on win10 system that was imaged and restored at least 4 times to different drives (when I upgraded my drive to faster and bigger ones) on computer that was changed without reinstallation from 3rd gen i5 to 8th gen i7, from legacy to uefi, installed years ago, with lot of software and tools installed, reinstalled and uninstalled all the time, without reinstallation and with updates and upgrades that are installed without any problem (now it's 2004 version). No freezes, no crashes, no bluescreen, no problems with any software, no slowdowns. Magic. I think I must wait another 10 years to see these mythical issues.