Desktop GPU in beefy laptop

Freebird7

Hi so i saw Linus's video called "Put a Desktop GPU in a LAPTOP... The CHEAP WAY" and I happen to fall into the "niche within a niche within a niche" and would love if i could figure out how to use a beast to create a ghetto gaming PC from my old laptop. but he kinda just ended the video by saying "yes, but actually no" and I am willing to work and learn how to modify the BIOS to make it work, and am fine with having to restart my computer to make it work, and might even consider buying the shielded chord if i think it will give me better results. where do i start?

my GPU price range is $300-500 and while i don't know much about BIOS yet, i'm willing to learn.

My immediate question is how do i configure my BIOS to resister the better graphics card of the one in my laptop already?

lastly, does any

.one think that it would be in the realm of possibility to take apart my laptop and convert it into a desktop? 

thanks.

what laptop do you have?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

43 minutes ago, Freebird7 said:

but he kinda just ended the video by saying "yes, but actually no" and I am willing to work and learn how to modify the BIOS to make it work, and am fine with having to restart my computer to make it work, and might even consider buying the shielded chord if i think it will give me better results. where do i start?

Yeah have fun modifying a bios with out a good understanding of coding for hardware, or finding a guide somewhere

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

what laptop do you have?

i have a modified Dell Precision M6700 that was given more CPU i think

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Yeah have fun modifying a bios with out a good understanding of coding for hardware, or finding a guide somewhere

thanks lol. why does the beast exist if no one can use it

21 minutes ago, Freebird7 said:

that was given more CPU i think

Do you mean a better cpu ? 

What 

Does it have a standard LGA cpu ?

20 minutes ago, Freebird7 said:

thanks lol. why does the beast exist if no one can use it

Well first of all bios modding and actually understanding your way around it is legitimately confusing and hard 

Getting the card to work with the laptop's chipset firmware is not possible for a casual user 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

14 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Do you mean a better cpu ? 

What 

Does it have a standard LGA cpu ?

Well first of all bios modding and actually understanding your way around it is legitimately confusing and hard 

Getting the card to work with the laptop's chipset firmware is not possible for a casual user 

yes i meant a better CPU idk why i said that

Is the BIOS coded into a computer when it is made? like every computer has a hard coded bios that can be changed but is almost never changed.

If i were to build my own desktop would i have to code the BIOS like this? Its not actually harder than building your own computer is it?

lastly I am considering 2 options. A. could i learn how to mod a BIOS in under 50 hours? if yes, is there a chance that after all that it still wouldnt work?

or B, could i hire someone to mod my BIOS for me.

one more thing, If i do go down the rabit hole on this, is there a chance my BIOS could get screwed up in the process? irriversably?

I know this is a lot of questions, im just asking whats on my mind. thanks for your time

9 hours ago, Freebird7 said:

could i learn how to mod a BIOS in under 50 hours? if yes, is there a chance that after all that it still wouldnt work?

Hahahaha.....no.

9 hours ago, Freebird7 said:

could i hire someone to mod my BIOS for me.

Lmao no.

To put it simply your laptop motherboard has a proprietary firmware that most likely won't allow you to put a new GPU in 

With a different chipset name for e.g tu104 etc 

That can not be changed lmao 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

20 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Hahahaha.....no.

Lmao no.

To put it simply your laptop motherboard has a proprietary firmware that most likely won't allow you to put a new GPU in 

With a different chipset name for e.g tu104 etc 

That can not be changed lmao 

how would this be any different from swapping a new graphics card in for the old one inside the laptop? it would have a different chipset name reguardless of wether or not it was in the computer or plugged into a beast no?

3 hours ago, Freebird7 said:

how would this be any different from swapping a new graphics card in for the old one inside the laptop? it would have a different chipset name reguardless of wether or not it was in the computer or plugged into a beast no?

I don't really thing you get it lol

The motherboard's chipset has a proprietary firmware that won't allow it to accept a discrete GPU 

If the laptop doesn't support mxm 

You won't be able to 

Build Log: 

12 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

I don't really thing you get it lol

The motherboard's chipset has a proprietary firmware that won't allow it to accept a discrete GPU 

If the laptop doesn't support mxm 

You won't be able to 

how do i know if my laptop supports mxm?

so laptops have proprietary firmware that is built in that cannot change where as a homemade desktop does not? is that closer to correct?

you are right i dont understand. thanks for answering me though

i have a NVIDIA Quadro M4000 in right now