Anyone got experience resetting a Dell MD3000I?

Enekuda

Hey all,

I recently came across a hell of a deal on an MD3000I and MD1000.....

I have dug and dug and dug to try and figure out how to change the IP on it as it is still set from the previous owner, and getting the info seem to be a no response situation.

I do have the management port cable, and have tried a multitude of things suggested online and on the dell forums to try and get into the settings or factory reset, but when i follow the steps others have laid out they either don't work (like trying the break during boot) or the default password doesn't work "supportDell" when you get that far.

i read somewhere about a different default password for the older firmware?? though i cant find any of said password....

if anyone has experience or can help at all id appreciate it!!

Have you tried simply not putting in a password? Some quick googling shows that the default might be nothing at all.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

NOTE: The RAID controller module network configuration can be assigned using a DHCP server (the default setting). If a DHCP server is not available (time-out is 10 seconds) then the RAID controller modules uses the static IP addresses of 192.168.128.101 for controller 0 and 192.168.128.102 for controller 1.

Sourced from: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1197841-default-serial-ip-of-dell-powervault-md3000

powervault-md3000i_Reference Guide2_en-us.pdf

On 6/1/2020 at 11:40 PM, SenKa said:

Have you tried simply not putting in a password? Some quick googling shows that the default might be nothing at all.

I have, it gives me an "SPRI login failed" message. Ive seen reference to there being a different password on firmware 6.x machines, but no where lists that password. and of course without having the password i dont think i can see what firmware it has to figure out which password i would need lol.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:55 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

NOTE: The RAID controller module network configuration can be assigned using a DHCP server (the default setting). If a DHCP server is not available (time-out is 10 seconds) then the RAID controller modules uses the static IP addresses of 192.168.128.101 for controller 0 and 192.168.128.102 for controller 1.

Sourced from: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1197841-default-serial-ip-of-dell-powervault-md3000

powervault-md3000i_Reference Guide2_en-us.pdf 1.18 MB · 1 download

I am not sure if DHCP is enabled on the MD3000I or if it was set to a static IP before i received it, which i why i want to factory reset it....which appears to be difficult without the password lol. I have DHCP enabled on my router, and when i plug the MD into my D-link switch i can see there is a connection, but no matter what i try i cant seem to find a way to get to the device.

My network runs on 192.168.1.x and being a networking noob i cannot figure out for the life of me how to get over to the 192.168.128.x subnet to see if i can connect to the default IP without ruining all the settings i have for my current network.

Again any and al help is super appreciated :)

figured it out everyone!!!

I was NOT connecting the management port as well as the ISCI lan ports!! I figured the management was like the IDRAC where you really dont have to have it connected lol

all good now!!!

27 minutes ago, Enekuda said:

ok....so after rebooting the network as well, i have a device on my network that lists itself as:
IP Address (wireless)-1: 192.168.1.78
but then it lists a secondary
IP address (LAN)-2: 192.168.128.75

I cannot seem to connect to either one, and it is hard wired not wireless so no clue what is happening.

I'm not familiar and really my brother handles my networking needs. 

I'll have some more google searching for ya, but last time, what I linked was the best I could find. 

You always could phone Dell and see what they have to say about the issue.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm not familiar and really my brother handles my networking needs. 

I'll have some more google searching for ya, but last time, what I linked was the best I could find. 

You always could phone Dell and see what they have to say about the issue.

i appreciate your help!! it was my own short shortsightedness of not just plugging ALL the LAN ports in the back in lol

now i just have to run 2 more cables from my switch to the bottom of my rack 😄

4 minutes ago, Enekuda said:

i appreciate your help!! it was my own short shortsightedness of not just plugging ALL the LAN ports in the back in lol

now i just have to run 2 more cables from my switch to the bottom of my rack 😄

Oh great!! you got it sorted!! Good deal. My pleasure to help :)