Game Graphics looks so bad now after i have played red dead 2

Gustavo Dutra

I do enjoy quite a lot the visual aesthetics of  games.

After i played the new cowboy game, the other games i used to play looks way bad visually.

Of course i'm playing some older games compared to red dead 2. BUT i feel like when playing far from my monitor makes the games look a lot better. Not just sharpening but the textures as well.

Since i can't play like 2 meters from my monitor everyday, i would like to know. Is it possible to recreate this "effect" from playing far from the tv ? Like playing in 4k would be the same as 2 meters away ?

That is why games should focus on a great look that does not depend on 'great graphics'. Graphics fade away, style does not.

1 minute ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Is it possible to recreate this "effect" from playing far from the tv ? Like playing in 4k would be the same as 2 meters away ?

I suppose you could play in (borderless) windowed mode in a lower resolution (e.g. if you have a 4K screen, play at 1080p windowed). That way the game takes up less space on your monitor and could 'feel' further away.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

That is why games should focus on a great look that does not depend on 'great graphics'. Graphics fade away, style does not.

I suppose you could play in (borderless) windowed mode in a lower resolution (e.g. if you have a 4K screen, play at 1080p windowed). That way the game takes up less space on your monitor and could 'feel' further away.

Why lower resolution ?

10 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

After i played the new cowboy game, the other games i used to play looks way bad visually.

Of course i'm playing some older games compared to red dead 2. BUT i feel like when playing far from my monitor makes the games look a lot better. Not just sharpening but the textures as well.

Since i can't play like 2 meters from my monitor everyday, i would like to know. Is it possible to recreate this "effect" from playing far from the tv ? Like playing in 4k would be the same as 2 meters away ?

Sounds like Minecraft is not for you.

I was playing deus ex GOTY recently.  Verrry old game standard Rez was 640x480.  It was... blurry.  If you ignore the graphics it was a great game though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like Minecraft is not for you.

I was playing deus ex GOTY recently.  Verrry old game standard Rez was 640x480.  It was... blurry.  If you ignore the graphics it was a great game though.

Yep, even on rtx on doesnt appeal to me.

6 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Why lower resolution ?

Because then the game will take up less space on your screen and it will feel further away.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Because then the game will take up less space on your screen and it will feel further away.

Thanks man. It actually worked. I tho this was a stupid idea.

Just now, Caroline said:

still waiting for the crack so when it comes out, if it ever does it's gonna look like a playstation 1 game compared to what new games will look.

This game is worth FULL FACKING PRICE. I'm not lying.

I play lots of older games and I use mods and resolution to get them to looking good. I also use two gaming computers, one on a 4k 55" OLED TV and the other with an ultra wide.

If the games has bad lighting I use ENB or Reshade. Sometimes I use both. With ENB I can use crazy depth of field so I can hide draw distances. I also use weather mods that add effects like ground fog.

Some games just look better at 4k because they usually have design elements that do not work well at lower resolutions.

Fallout 4 is like that. The game has lots of leafless trees and there is not enough pixels at 1080p or 1440p to render them properly. 

With the Mass Effect games(1,2,3) it is adding ENB, higher res textures and 4k ultra to get them looking good.

Skyrim is the game I use the most visual mods but most of it is to get better lighting for characters.

I play RDR 2 at 3840 X 1600 on a 38" ultra wide because the snowy expanses look better that way to me and I can keep the frame rate close to the monitors refresh rate. At 4k I average about 60fps but 16:9 feels cramped. It is not a game that benefits much from 4k so i don't miss it.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Realistic graphics always age the worst. 

I'm actually not impressed by some of the graphics in RDR2. Granted, I run the game mostly on medium with textures on ultra, but still, human models look waaaaaaay better in other games such as Jedi Fallen Order, Tomb Raider, Doom Eternal, etc. 

Also, I can run those other games on high-ultra settings no problem, so it's RDR2's fault for having crappy optimization.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I recently played Stalker Oblivion Lost, which reminded me how artwork and style beat Graphics anytime.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

I recently played Stalker Oblivion Lost, which reminded me how artwork and style beat Graphics anytime.

And story. Imho a well written good game beats a badly written prettier one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/2/2020 at 12:22 AM, Gustavo Dutra said:

I don’t think it’s the best looking of games tbh, SoTR is amazing with ray tracing and HDR. Batman Arkham knight is 5 years old and still is pretty and the enhanced rain effect still baffles me plus the effect on the sea.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?