First time and I don’t know much

I have an old dell power edge , dual Xeon something I don’t remember much off the top of my head as I’m writing. But what I would like to do with this server is make a home steam cache , along with epic games (GTA5). how would I go about doing this ? 

i download gta5 the day it came out free , and went to play 2 days ago and all epic games are saying install , but I can go and look at the gta and fort it’s files and they are all there , just not being detected. So After contacting support , support basically said go fuck yourself just re download them . Well shit if I’m going to have to redownload them every time I’ll just have them on a server . Rant over lol 

im also planning on using this server to run scripts a buddy has written, and were planning on making a bot for one of the games we play , and the point of the bot is to combat the other bots present in the game . So even though what I’m doing is somewhat morally right , in the video game creators eyes , it’s probably still frowned upon and I will get banned on the other accounts I use on the same IP address. So how would I go about setting up the server , as it’s own separate thing ( like a VPN ) and not have my casual play affected? 

4 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

But what I would like to do with this server is make a home steam cache , along with epic games (GTA5)

I don't know about epic games, I would research how to do that, but for steam games LTT made a video on this:

4 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

im also planning on using this server to run scripts a buddy has written, and were planning on making a bot for one of the games we play , and the point of the bot is to combat the other bots present in the game . So even though what I’m doing is somewhat morally right , in the video game creators eyes , it’s probably still frowned upon and I will get banned on the other accounts I use on the same IP address. So how would I go about setting up the server , as it’s own separate thing ( like a VPN ) and not have my casual play affected?

I'm not going to provide much commentary on how to do this because I don't personally support this, but there are ways to do it.

As for an OS, there are lots of ways to go about it. First off, I highly recommend learning linux, even if you have to start with a GUI first (however, with certain older dell servers there are some weird hoops to jump trough to install certain versions of Linux, just come back here and start a new topic if you need help with that). Or if you want more modular with your deployment you could run a hypervisor (which is just an OS that runs virtual machines) as your OS like proxmox. This lets you run all your services in it's own contained environment and let you shut down ones you don't need at the moment without messing up any of the other stuff you have running.

If your new to servers in general I would recommend the simpler solution of running a desktop distribution of linux like ubuntu or mint to get you started. If you know command line linux well enough running a lighter-weight distro like Ubuntu server or Centos would probably give you more performance to play with on these older servers.

I find command line very difficult to learn , but I can try . I was planning on using proxmox and Virtual machines with windows 7 on the vms . Total of 3 vms . From what I’ve managed to to learn about proxmox it seems like something id be able to understand and learn with a bit of ease. i wanted the three vms running the bot scripts , and then the main OS would be like my home media server . I’ve been doing a lot of downloading of the same programs . So how would I go about getting those programs on the server and then ready to be grabbed. 

Ouh and this server came with Ubuntu on it , but it’s got a password ? The person I got I from didn’t know the password , so I was just going to install windows 7 through a disc I have , then download proxmox that way . Is that could to create any issues ? 

A bot to battle other bots?

Press X for doubt.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Bot busting is a thing ? Why is so hard to believe that I want my game to be clean of bot ? And me being one person , I can’t single handily stop the issue , but a bot , running like 3 accounts full 24/7 , they might be able to make the smallest chunk in the botters and maybe deter them ? I dunno it’s an experiment 😂 coronas got me board as shit Ouhkay 

And how would your bot battle other bots? WoW has, like many other mmo´s, thousands and thousands of bots running around. How do you want force a fight upon them? 

You have no chance to do anything about them. Zero, Nada, Nothing.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

If you have just 1 game....just re-download it and then when you confirm its working, make a backup copy of that folder. Then just run regular backups....

There's no need to build a LAN cache for 1 game, and 1 computer. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

No it’s not just for one game and one computer . I was just giving the example that pushed me to make this conclusion lol I build computers for my friends and sell them to them, so I’m the long run it would save me a lot of download time , while I’m just trying to download quick to run a game as a benchmark sorta thing. I’ll download a game and as soon as I start to see frames drop , I mark it down , and then again when it’s completely unplayable, then the game that it unplayable (because I test a few) is my baseline , and then if the game came out in say 2015 , I won’t try and run games after 2015 on the hardware and when selling it to my friends , That’s what I can tell them . 

Ummm ok....well Lancache by Monolithic is going to be your best option. 

You can install it in Docker which makes it easier to manage, pretty sure they have support for Epic Games. 

Theres an entire discussion thread on it started by Jake. The instructions on the OP are out of date, but Monolithic have a pretty detailed installation guide

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA