Which GPU has high resolution GPU upscaling? (or fullscreen blur)

DinkydauSet

I have a radeon HD 6970. I'm trying to use GPU scaling to upscale lower resolutions to my screen's native resolution of 3280×2016 but it doesn't always work. Upscaling 2560×1440 and lower works. When I try to upscale any larger resolution the setting automatically changes to "centered timings" which means the image does not get upscaled. I tried it it at least 4 different driver versions and with windows 7 and windows 10. I found a forum where someone mentions that the hardware scaler is limited to 3200×1800: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/gpu-scaling-only-working-on-desktop-not-games.405503/#post-5227846

If that's the problem I need to look for a graphics card with a better scaler, but I don't know how I can tell 

The graphics card mentioned in that thread is a "290X" which was released in 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_Rx_200_series . It can't do the upscaling from 2560×1440 or higher.

My laptop from 2012 which has a firepro M4000 GPU is able to upscale 3072 × 1728, tested with Custom resolution utility. Unfortunately I was limited by single link DVI bandwidth so I'm not sure if it can go up to the full 3280×2016, but at least it's higher. Unfortunately that means I can't just buy anything newer than 2012 and be fine. Some cards can do it, then some newer ones can't.

I should mention that I'm trying to do this mostly because I like the blurry appearance of a scaled image. I had been using only CRT monitors up to a few weeks ago. Now I have a TFT monitor and I miss the blur that a CRT adds. Text especially looks softer on a CRT and is easier to look at. LCD is too sharp. I know blur works because I tried it in photoshop and it makes it look better on LCD. I already adjusted ClearType settings in windows but that doesn't make it better. Blur or scaling does.

Does anyone have an idea what would be a good GPU to buy? These are the requirements:

• handle gpu upscaling from resolutions up to 3280×2016 OR have a setting that blurs the entire screen
  • high quality upscaling or blur
  • It doesn't have to be a gaming GPU.
  • acceptable 3D performance for when I do want to play an older game like far cry
  • at least one dual link DVI port and one single link DVI port, but 2 times dual link DVI is preferred
  • color adjustment features
  • support for multiple monitors, something like eyefinity would be great.