Have I won the sillicon lottery?

Just now, The_PurpleShroom said:

pls explain this, sounds very interesting

The imc is the integrated memory controller and the one on zen +  ( 2nd gen ryzen) sucks so getting this result is really REALLY good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It probably is ok. The memory I use is the good stuff. 3733mhz stable. 3966mhz benching ability. 

Weird flex but ok 🤣

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The imc is the integrated memory controller and the one on zen +

ok this makes sense, thanks. 

Can you reccomend settings for stress testing on prime95?

I can safely tick off realbench has been running for ages. I'm also getting OCCT, what settings should I use for that? 

thanks 

3 minutes ago, The_PurpleShroom said:

Can you reccomend settings for stress testing on prime95?

As @ShrimpBrime said 

Try with AVX2.0

Build Log: 

I had the exact same experience yesterday and I didn't understand it at first because other people where pushing 1.35V or more to reach 4.4Ghz. I was at 1.175V and it was still stable so I just didn't go any lower but possebly could.

Make sure to run a Prime95 test with the small FFts. The system was stable for hours on a normal stress test but with Prime95 small FFts I had to bump the voltage up to 1.25V.

5 hours ago, LM99 said:

I had the exact same experience yesterday and I didn't understand it at first because other people where pushing 1.35V or more to reach 4.4Ghz. I was at 1.175V and it was still stable so I just didn't go any lower but possebly could.

Make sure to run a Prime95 test with the small FFts. The system was stable for hours on a normal stress test but with Prime95 small FFts I had to bump the voltage up to 1.25V.

Thanks, this helps a lot. Did you happen to purchase your CPU fairly recently? 

I decided to take the advice of the r/overclocking FAQ, since my pc is my daily driver I dont want to risk degradation by going over 1.2v static. Not sure if you had heard abouut that, but it seems to get mentioned fairly often. 

11 hours ago, The_PurpleShroom said:

Thanks, this helps a lot. Did you happen to purchase your CPU fairly recently? 

I decided to take the advice of the r/overclocking FAQ, since my pc is my daily driver I dont want to risk degradation by going over 1.2v static. Not sure if you had heard abouut that, but it seems to get mentioned fairly often. 

Yes, I purchased my Ryzen 5 3600 last week. As for the 1.2V static, I did not hear about that but I've only seen it mentioned in that Reddit post. I did read a post that said people who ran 1.325V experienced degradation and that someone who had read some information on TSMC 7nm node found out that the recommended voltage for that node is 1.3V. But I couldn't find the sources of those statements. 

This is what I think:

My Ryzen 3600 can run 4.4Ghz@1.175V or even lower (temperatures around the 60's). For Prime95 small FFTs I need 1.25V. Temperatures can then spike to 96°C(!). I do not think the CPU gets this hot because of bad cooling (I have a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO) but because the 7nm process is so dense that the heat can't travel fast enough through the silicon into the IHS so it doesn't matter how much cooling you have (correct me if I'm wrong). When you run workloads like this at these temperatures, you will definitely degrade your cpu.

In AIDA 64 temperatures are around 77°C and for gaming they are somewhere in the high 60's. However I do not plan on running workloads like Prime95 so in this case it seems perfectly fine to run 1.25V if you have enough cooling. This ensures me that my system is stable for my workloads without the degradation and if I ever need the heavier workloads, I know that my system isn't just going to shutdown. I can then adjust the voltage and clock later to lower the temperatures. But I haven't had enough time to descently overclock the cpu so I will definitly try and lower those temperatures and voltages if I can.

The easier route would be to try 4.3Ghz and lower the voltage, but to me, that's less fun😜

21 hours ago, LM99 said:

7nm process is so dense that the heat can't travel fast enough through the silicon into the IHS so it doesn't matter how much cooling you have (correct me if I'm wrong). When you run workloads like this at these temperatures, you will definitely degrade your cpu.

Not sure if the reason is correct, although ur rationale definetly makes sense to me. Using Liquid metal on the die would probably increase the heat transfer, aswell as reducing the thickness of the ihs, not that I am reccomending you go ahead an do that haha. Not even sure if it is possible/worth it on AMD proccessors, I have only really heard about people doing it on intel Cpu's. 

21 hours ago, LM99 said:

My Ryzen 3600 can run 4.4Ghz@1.175V or even lower (temperatures around the 60's). For Prime95 small FFTs I need 1.25V. Temperatures can then spike to 96°C(!).

Yes, this is pretty similar to what I experienced. 

How is your pc setup thermally speaking? may potentially aid your abillity to do the p95 test, although if it is an unrealistic use case scenario, it probably is not worth your while. 

On 6/2/2020 at 1:54 AM, The_PurpleShroom said:

gtx1070 (side note, does anyone care to spectulate on australian pricing for 3000 series gpu's?) 

It is really hard to speculate given so many different factors that can impact these things. 

Most pricing went up when Covid started as the AUD tanked. The dollar has now got back to pre Covid levels, but it will take a while for that to pass through to us.

I suspect the RTX 3000 series will be at least the same as the RTX 2000 series. 

As with most launches, you'll likely see higher prices initially when demand is high and supply is low. This will then go back down after a few months. 

And nVidia will most likely launch with the highest end SKU's first and the fill out the rest of the product stack gradually.

Normally it is a good time to pickup a cheap previous gen card at the time of a new launch. With stock levels so low at the moment though, new cards may disappear pretty quickly as distributors aren't likely sitting on much inventory like they were with the GTX 1000 series when RTX 2000 launched. 

Second hand RTX 2000 cards may be a good option when RTX 3000 series comes out if you are wanting to save a few dollars. There is always a bunch of early adopters looking to flip their previous gen parts. 

I would just base your plans off what current models are priced at. Despite the AUD improving, the benefit will probably be negated by launch prices. So around $1000 for a 2070 Super, $1500 for a 2080 Super and around $2250 for a 2080 TI.