Firewire help for a massive noob

Daniboi
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Yeah, no, FireWire isn't what you want, at all.

You basically have 2 options here as said by mariushm. Powerline adapters, or run an Ethernet cable outside your house, around to your room and back in.

IMO, Power line adapters are flaky, I hear nothing but complaints from people posting about them on the forum since they rely on your home wiring and not everyone knows how good/bad theirs is.

I'd run a wire around the house with outdoor rated cable. LMG has an old video on how it's done:

So recently my dad has decied to put a crappy wifi extender outside my room so i get wifi up in my room (this wifi extender has an ethernet port which i use to get to my PC). However the latency is so bad and because it only operates on the 2.4hz band whenever someone mircowaves something the signal is pretty much useless for that time, which is proving to be more and more annoying because online lessons mean that i miss important infomation.

My solution to this would be firewire however I know only about this because it was briefly mentioned in a class i had when i was at school but wasnt told about how it works, what equiment is required for it to work and nor if it was a benefit or drawback to having my crappy solution right now. I have had a poke around online but cant seem to find anything of any help and i would really appricate some on the matter. I have no idea how firewire works but i know that it has to be on the same circuit as the router but that is as far as my very limmited knowledge on the matter goes.

1 minute ago, Daniboi said:

So recently my dad has decied to put a crappy wifi extender outside my room so i get wifi up in my room (this wifi extender has an ethernet port which i use to get to my PC). However the latency is so bad and because it only operates on the 2.4hz band whenever someone mircowaves something the signal is pretty much useless for that time, which is proving to be more and more annoying because online lessons mean that i miss important infomation.

My solution to this would be firewire however I know only about this because it was briefly mentioned in a class i had when i was at school but wasnt told about how it works, what equiment is required for it to work and nor if it was a benefit or drawback to having my crappy solution right now. I have had a poke around online but cant seem to find anything of any help and i would really appricate some on the matter. I have no idea how firewire works but i know that it has to be on the same circuit as the router but that is as far as my very limmited knowledge on the matter goes.

Firewire? Isn't that ancient macbook tech?

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

13 minutes ago, ThatOneRussian said:

Firewire? Isn't that ancient macbook tech?

From what i can read yes but it can be used today standards, from what i understand it uses the powerlines inside of the house and provides a network signal because your router is on the same circuit.

Firewire is outdated and most likely not what you need.

If you have an ethernet port on your laptop (or you're willing to add a wireless router in your room), maybe try powerline networking ... you plug one device in your room and the other in an outlet near the router/modem and the traffic goes through the power cables to your room.

It's less sensitive to microwave ovens but devices that suck a lot of power or induce "noise" into the power cables can affect the speed/latency of data.

You can get starter kits for 40-50$, here's some examples:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit, TPL-406E2K, Includes 2 x TPL-406E Adapters, Cross Compatible with Powerline 600/500/200,Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Ethernet Port, Plug & Play Install: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline Adapter, Expand Home Network with Stable Connections (TL-PA4010 KIT): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Power Saving, Ethernet Over Power, Expand Home Network with Stable Connections, Ideal for Smart TV, Online Gaming (TL-PA7010 KIT): Computers & Accessories

There's also starter kits like these where the device you put in your room is also a wireless access point

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Extender - Powerline Adapter with WiFi, WiFi Booster, Plug & Play, Power Saving, Ethernet over Power, Expand both Wired and WiFi Connections (TL-WPA4220 KIT): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: NETGEAR PowerLINE 1000 Mbps WiFi, 802.11ac, 1 Gigabit Port - Essentials Edition (PLW1010-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Firewire is outdated and most likely not what you need.

If you have an ethernet port on your laptop (or you're willing to add a wireless router in your room), maybe try powerline networking ... you plug one device in your room and the other in an outlet near the router/modem and the traffic goes through the power cables to your room.

It's less sensitive to microwave ovens but devices that suck a lot of power or induce "noise" into the power cables can affect the speed/latency of data.

You can get starter kits for 40-50$, here's some examples:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit, TPL-406E2K, Includes 2 x TPL-406E Adapters, Cross Compatible with Powerline 600/500/200,Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Ethernet Port, Plug & Play Install: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline Adapter, Expand Home Network with Stable Connections (TL-PA4010 KIT): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Power Saving, Ethernet Over Power, Expand Home Network with Stable Connections, Ideal for Smart TV, Online Gaming (TL-PA7010 KIT): Computers & Accessories

There's also starter kits like these where the device you put in your room is also a wireless access point

Amazon.com: TP-Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Extender - Powerline Adapter with WiFi, WiFi Booster, Plug & Play, Power Saving, Ethernet over Power, Expand both Wired and WiFi Connections (TL-WPA4220 KIT): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: NETGEAR PowerLINE 1000 Mbps WiFi, 802.11ac, 1 Gigabit Port - Essentials Edition (PLW1010-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

thanks for the advice but i am not sure i completely understand. Does that mean i have to run cables around my house? Just my main issue is the health and saftey risk of running ethernet cables down the stairs because unfortunatly i live on the other side of the house to the router.

Yeah, no, FireWire isn't what you want, at all.

You basically have 2 options here as said by mariushm. Powerline adapters, or run an Ethernet cable outside your house, around to your room and back in.

IMO, Power line adapters are flaky, I hear nothing but complaints from people posting about them on the forum since they rely on your home wiring and not everyone knows how good/bad theirs is.

I'd run a wire around the house with outdoor rated cable. LMG has an old video on how it's done:

1 hour ago, Daniboi said:

From what i can read yes but it can be used today standards, from what i understand it uses the powerlines inside of the house and provides a network signal because your router is on the same circuit.

Firewire is an old standard that was similar to USB at the time but fell out of favor about 10 to 15 years ago.

What you want is Powerline which sends ethernet signals of the powerlines in your home.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: