Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Display After Knocking Into Tower

Hi guys, 

Having a bit of a head scratcher here. I'm running a triple monitor setup on an FX 8350 CPU with Vega 64 GPU. All's been well until today. 

I accidentally knocked into my desktop tower with my knee quite hard by accident when it was still running. Immediately after that my three monitor screens all lost signal, with signal returning to only one (the one connected via display port). Unplugging the monitors and plugging them back in didn't work (the other two are plugged into the HDMI ports). The second display port on the GPU also works if I switch my DP cable to that. Seems only the HDMI ports are affected. 

I proceeded to reseat everything thinking it's a loose component:

1) GPU - didn't work

2) RAM sticks - didn't work

3) Removing the heatsink and reinstalling the CPU - finally worked

So the last step solved my problem, albeit temporarily only. When I rebooted, the system did display on all 3 monitors, but was only reading 1 out of 2 8GB RAM sticks. 

Thinking I hadn't reseated them properly, I went ahead to remove and reseat the RAM. But since doing that, my original display issues came back.

It's not a GPU problem as far as I can tell as it's brand new, and it works when I transferred it over to another computer to test.

Here are my system specs :

AMD FX 8350 not overclocked

Powercolor Red Devil AMD Vega 64 8GB

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard running bios version 2.7 

2 x Kingston 1600MHx 8GB DDR 3 RAM

1TB Verbatim SSD

4TB Seagate 3.5inch 7200RPM HDD 

750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ Bronze PSU

3 x Dell S2340L 23inch 1080p monitor

3 hours ago, zakilhussein89 said:

Hi guys, 

Having a bit of a head scratcher here. I'm running a triple monitor setup on an FX 8350 CPU with Vega 64 GPU. All's been well until today. 

I accidentally knocked into my desktop tower with my knee quite hard by accident when it was still running. Immediately after that my three monitor screens all lost signal, with signal returning to only one (the one connected via display port). Unplugging the monitors and plugging them back in didn't work (the other two are plugged into the HDMI ports). The second display port on the GPU also works if I switch my DP cable to that. Seems only the HDMI ports are affected. 

I proceeded to reseat everything thinking it's a loose component:

1) GPU - didn't work

2) RAM sticks - didn't work

3) Removing the heatsink and reinstalling the CPU - finally worked

So the last step solved my problem, albeit temporarily only. When I rebooted, the system did display on all 3 monitors, but was only reading 1 out of 2 8GB RAM sticks. 

Thinking I hadn't reseated them properly, I went ahead to remove and reseat the RAM. But since doing that, my original display issues came back.

It's not a GPU problem as far as I can tell as it's brand new, and it works when I transferred it over to another computer to test.

Here are my system specs :

AMD FX 8350 not overclocked

Powercolor Red Devil AMD Vega 64 8GB

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard running bios version 2.7 

2 x Kingston 1600MHx 8GB DDR 3 RAM

1TB Verbatim SSD

4TB Seagate 3.5inch 7200RPM HDD 

750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ Bronze PSU

3 x Dell S2340L 23inch 1080p monitor

Seeing as the symptoms are quite random (involving both GPU, RAM and CPU), did you check the power connectors to all components are still plugged in correctly? And the connectors into the PSU themselves, since you have a modular PSU... ?

Other than that, not really sure what it could be. If the GPU runs fine on a different system, and you are also having memory problems all of a sudden, sounds like the motherboard is having an issue? Perhaps something shorted out briefly while knocking it?

Good luck!