Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need to upgrade. Need some help.

So I upgraded my super crappy parts for "budget level" components a year and a half ago. I have a AMD Ryzen 3 1200, an MSI GTX 1050 2GB, MSI B350-Plus MB, and a Ballistix DDR4 8GB RAM. I'm able to play mid range games at low-medium settings. I can barely play COD MW. And will usually get FPS drops on more taxing games. I feel its time to upgrade a bit more. Now, I don't have too much dough and can pick between a medium level CPU or GPU? What should I change and with what?

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that GPU is your bottleneck here. Ryzen 3 is good but could be better, but games tend to be GPU bound, so that depends on what you're playing.

CPU will last longer but your system will still struggle with a title like COD MW unless you upgrade both. I would go with a better CPU first as that upgrade will last longer, than with 30XX series cards coming out in a few months I would keep my eyes on the used market for a decent GPU. I bought a GTX 1070 like a year to a year and a half ago, for $200 and its amazing. Honestly 16GB of RAM is also preferable but it can wait till after you improve the CPU and GPU. 

Edit: Even a GTX 1050 TI in MW would probably deliver the results you desire, but at some point your going to run into issues with the CPU/GPU.

Yeah looking into it, COD seems to use CPU pretty well too. I'd agree with what @RAM555789 says. CPU might be more valuable at this point, but you really need to upgrade both if possible

The Ryzen 1200 is really weak unless you manually overclock it. But the lack of cores and threads....

Since you can't change both, I'd do the GPU. Get a 1660 (even a non ti smoke your 1050) 

Before you buy a cpu, when you go this route, be sure to update the bios first. 

1600AE 1st gen 1600AF is 2nd gen with 1st gen part number. The AE and AF is the difference. You want the AF. 

Can't find that, get a 2600/x instead will game well with a 1660.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that GPU is your bottleneck here. Ryzen 3 is good but could be better, but games tend to be GPU bound, so that depends on what you're playing.

I want to play more triple a’s. Start shifting a little from console to pc. Go back and forth.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Ryzen 1200 is really weak unless you manually overclock it. But the lack of cores and threads....

Since you can't change both, I'd do the GPU. Get a 1660 (even a non ti smoke your 1050) 

Before you buy a cpu, when you go this route, be sure to update the bios first. 

1600AE 1st gen 1600AF is 2nd gen with 1st gen part number. The AE and AF is the difference. You want the AF. 

Can't find that, get a 2600/x instead will game well with a 1660.

I was looking into the 1660 (non ti). I was wondering, would it be the same to get an AMD RX 580? Or is there a significant difference between the two?

1 minute ago, HorridBee248 said:

I want to play more triple a’s. Start shifting a little from console to pc. Go back and forth.

Can you tell us your budget 

Kind of difficult to choose something without one 

Generally speaking for now the 1050 as a budget card will do 

Your cpu tho 

The 1200 lacks ipc has a really bad imc and you can barely oc with it because it's FCLK is really bad 

Getting something around the 100 dollar price range like a 3100 or something a little better like a 3300x would benefit you alot in the long run

The board with a bios update should work with zen 2

As for GPU if you want to upgrade something budget oriented like a 1650 super will be nice 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

Can you tell us your budget 

Kind of difficult to choose something without one 

Generally speaking for now the 1050 as a budget card will do 

Your cpu tho 

The 1200 lacks ipc has a really bad imc and you can barely oc with it because it's FCLK is really bad 

Getting something around the 100 dollar price range like a 3100 or something a little better like a 3300x would benefit you alot in the long run

The board with a bios update should work with zen 2

As for GPU if you want to upgrade something budget oriented like a 1650 super will be nice 

I’d say maximum $300

Just now, HorridBee248 said:

I’d say maximum $300

If you want both cpu and GPU upgrade 

A 3100 and a 1660 super would be good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: