Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laptop won't POST after RAM upgrade

Hi guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7590 that I've bought in March (the same model Alex made a video of on ShortCircuit, except that instead of a GTX 1050, it has a GTX 1650, and instead of an i7-9xxxx, it has an i5-9300H): it comes with a single 8 GB stick of Samsung DDR4 2666MHz CL19 RAM and I wanted to upgrade it to 16 GB (2x8 GB) of HyperX Impact 2666MHz CL15 RAM.

After installing the two RAM sticks, I tried to boot the laptop but the screen wouldn't turn on and the battery LED started blinking in the following repeating sequence: 2x orange, 3x white. I searched online what it meant and the description for that code is "No memory or RAM detected".

I then tried to put the old stick back in slot A and one of the new ones in slot B, but the problem persisted, so I tried swapping the new sticks, and also putting the old one in slot B and the new one in slot A, but it didn't work.

I removed the new stick and left just the old one, the computer POSTed, and the Dell Pre-Boot System Performance Check tool warned me that in the previous boot no RAM was detected, confirming what the LED "said", and then it booted to Windows.

I also tried installing the old stick in slot B alone, to check that both slots work, and they do.

Later, I tried to install the new RAM in my brother's laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad, and it worked flawlessly, so the RAM sticks are not defective, and I even installed the Thinkpad's sticks (2x8 GB Kingston DDR4 2400MHz) in my laptop, and it booted.

I tried downgrading the BIOS too, because someone in a forum said that this did the trick for him (for a desktop Dell), but for me nothing changed.

Searching online someone suggested resetting the CMOS, and when I did, something new happened: after pressing the power button, the LED turned on white for a few seconds and then it turned off, but the keyboard remained lit for some more time and the computer rebooted, and this repeated for a while until it shut down (the screen remained black all the time and in this try I had the new sticks installed). So I tried powering it back on, and it did the same thing, so I changed the stick in slot A with the old one, pressed the power button and the PC after some seconds showed the Dell logo and it booted again into the Dell Pre-Boot System Performance tool, which this time warned me that the time and date had been reset, and that the amount of system memory changed (like the warning Alex received in the ShortCircuit video when he added another RAM stick (the warning in the video)), telling me that effectively the computer detects and supports the HyperX RAM I bought. From that screen I tried to go in the BIOS to see if it detected all 16 GB or RAM, but at that point it rebooted and the orange/white LED code problem came back. I reset the CMOS another time, with the old stick and one of the new ones in, and after it did all the white LED rebooting thing, I swapped the old stick with the new one, I powered it on and this time it booted directly in the BIOS, like if it remembered that before I wanted it to go in the BIOS and it detected the 16 GB, so I exited the BIOS, but after I pressed the power button again, the LED started blinking orange and white again.

I got the computer to the Pre-Boot tool again with both the new sticks in and this time I clicked on Continue to try making it boot to Windows, but it didn't work.

Finally, I went to the Pre-Boot tool another time and I clicked on Diagnostics, it performed some checks and then it ran an extensive memory test and it worked with no problems at all, but the computer still did not boot to Windows.

In the attachments there's a photo of the system configuration from the Diagnostics tool.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this some kind of known issue? Thank you in advance for your help :)

Sorry for bad/poor English :D

TL;DR: new RAM is not detected; both slots and RAM sticks work; according to the manual the sticks are compatible with my Dell laptop's motherboard; sometimes the computer manages to detect them, but never manages to boot to Windows

IMG_20200531.jpg

Edited by bronch

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's the amount I want to upgrade it to, but in the User's Guide, at page 10, the reported maximum capacity is 32 GB

1 hour ago, bronch said:

That's the amount I want to upgrade it to, but in the User's Guide, at page 10, the reported maximum capacity is 32 GB

Is there newer bios versions for your system? Perhaps removing the newly installed memory and updating the bios first may help?

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Is there newer bios versions for your system? Perhaps removing the newly installed memory and updating the bios first may help?

Nope, I'm already on the latest version, and I already tried installing the new memory with both the old version and the newer one, but no luck

2 minutes ago, bronch said:

Nope, I'm already on the latest version, and I already tried installing the new memory with both the old version and the newer one, but no luck

Looks like the bios is written to accept only 16GB in the original configuration. Which is possible. OEMs do stuff like that to produce the "higher end" model that will utilize additional memory. 

Spoiler

Update: I managed to boot it to Windows with the old stick and one of the new ones. I just put the old one in slot B, apparently I did not try to do that, contrarily to what I wrote in the original post.

In addition this seems a common issue, because I just found a video on YouTube where a guy bought the same HyperX RAM I bought and he had my same problem and in the comments someone else reported that too.

Now I would just like to know if there's a way to use both the new RAM sticks...