i7-9700 Paired with RTX 2070 Super from EVGA. Is this a bottleneck or a bound GPU?

So I recently upgraded my GPU and when playing Need for Speed Heat or Battlefield V, I notice that the GPU load never goes past 60% yet the CPU is consistently at 100%. I crank up as many settings as I can and all it seems to do it just lower frames. In NFS, I am getting around 70-90 fps and in BF its closer to 60-70. Am I doing something wrong? I made sure to download the newest drivers after installing the new GPU. My guess is that the CPU is bottle-necking the GPU but I really don't know all the much about it. I have been researching but not coming up with anything useful. Thank you!

CPU: i7-9700(non "k" version)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super KO

SSD: Samsung Evo 970 M.2

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3ghz 2x8gb

PSU: EVGA 600 BR 600w 80+ Bronze

MOBO; ASUS TUF Gaming B365m plus

Check your GPU temps 

And try ddu 

Obviously the GPU doesn't have to be utilized at a 100% in every game but just to make sure try what I said above 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto After playing for a good 15-20 mins, it showed the highest recorded temp was about 80-83c. same goes for the CPU if I remember correctly. I am at work at the moment but when I get home I will double check. And what is ddu? Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, REETKID22 said:

Looks like a great pair

I am sure I am over reacting haha I just wanna be sure I am getting the most out of both CPU and GPU. 

Just now, GoshDamBatman said:

And what is ddu? Thanks. 

It's display driver uninstaller 

You can check a video on how to use ;)

After playing for a good 15-20 mins, it showed the highest recorded temp was about 80-83c. same goes for the CPU

That's a little toasty but not thermal throttling level

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

22 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Check your GPU temps 

And try ddu 

Obviously the GPU doesn't have to be utilized at a 100% in every game but just to make sure try what I said above 

Hey can you help me?? I’m having trouble installing windows. Check my account for the post I made about it if you can. If you can’t that’s ok

@TofuHaroto Thank you I will check that out. I am guessing the point of using the ddu is to do a clean install of the drivers? And at what temp should I be concerned? Thank you :)

I am guessing the point of using the ddu is to do a clean install of the drivers? 

Pretty much yes 

1 minute ago, GoshDamBatman said:

And at what temp should I be concerned

Anything above 90c is really high 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Anything above 90c is really high 

@TofuHaroto Ok thanks. Mind if I follow up with you later today? Thanks!

@TofuHaroto Ok thanks. Mind if I follow up with you later today? Thanks!

Yea sure no problem just mention me like the @ just do I see your reply 

Build Log: 

If you are worried about your GPU temps you can use the EVGA Precision X1 software to tune it to run cooler.

My Asus 1660 ti was set a target temps of 85c by default so I wound it back to 75c instead with the Asus software and with a bit of tinkering with the fan curves I get the same performance at less heat but a bit more noise.

3 minutes ago, Rancidpunk said:

If you are worried about your GPU temps you can use the EVGA Precision X1 software to tune it to run cooler.

My Asus 1660 ti was set a target temps of 85c by default so I wound it back to 75c instead with the Asus software and with a bit of tinkering with the fan curves I get the same performance at less heat but a bit more noise.

@Rancidpunk My concern was more over the fact that my GPU is being under utilized it seems. I dont understand why. I fidgured the GPU/CPU pair I have should be good. I was told to upgrade my monitor so maybe Ill do that eventually but hoping for another fix until then.

34 minutes ago, GoshDamBatman said:

@Rancidpunk My concern was more over the fact that my GPU is being under utilized it seems. I dont understand why. I fidgured the GPU/CPU pair I have should be good. I was told to upgrade my monitor so maybe Ill do that eventually but hoping for another fix until then.

Sorry, my mistake!

It seems strange that your CPU is struggling so much.

What cooler have you got on the CPU? It might not be boosting if temps are getting too high.

9 minutes ago, Rancidpunk said:

Sorry, my mistake!

It seems strange that your CPU is struggling so much.

What cooler have you got on the CPU? It might not be boosting if temps are getting too high.

I have a be quiet Dark Rock Slim. The CPU averages around 70c I would say. same with the GPU. I am going to try a DDU and then reinstall the drivers. I dont know what else would be preventing my GPU from its full potential. Maybe my resolution? I play 1080p at 144hz

I have a be quiet Dark Rock Slim. The CPU averages around 70c I would say. same with the GPU. I am going to try a DDU and then reinstall the drivers. I dont know what else would be preventing my GPU from its full potential. Maybe my resolution? I play 1080p at 144hz

Do you have the power limit slider set to max ?

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Do you have the power limit slider set to max ?

Is that a setting i would change in the EVGA app? I haven't really messed with anything like that cuz I don't wanna mess anything up.

Is that a setting i would change in the EVGA app? I haven't really messed with anything like that cuz I don't wanna mess anything up.

Pretty sure it's in the EVGA tuning app

Either that or nvidea control panel

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Pretty sure it's in the EVGA tuning app

Either that or nvidea control panel

Ok I will check it out. So when I get home I plan to run a benchmark. Any suggestions on which one to use? Also, how long should I run the test and what numbers do I need to pay attention to? I have an idea I just want to confirm. 

Ok I will check it out. So when I get home I plan to run a benchmark. Any suggestions on which one to use? Also, how long should I run the test and what numbers do I need to pay attention to? I have an idea I just want to confirm. 

Just benchmark with the games your currently playing 

Setting the power limit to max should fix the problem if not ddu will probably

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Just benchmark with the games your currently playing 

Setting the power limit to max should fix the problem if not ddu will probably

Ok will do... Do you have an idea on how many frames I should be expecting? Like with BFV.

2 minutes ago, GoshDamBatman said:

Ok will do... Do you have an idea on how many frames I should be expecting? Like with BFV.

Unfortunately I don't really play that game so my numbers on it are either outdated or outright incorrect

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Unfortunately I don't really play that game so my numbers on it are either outdated or outright incorrect

No problem. I google but all I ever see if the i7 9700k with the RTX 2070 Super lol. Maybe those numbers would be pretty close... not sure if there's a big difference between the OC version or the non OC version. 

5 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

@TofuHaroto So, funny story, this whole time I have been using the xbox game bar on this PC to measure CPU/GPU usage. Its been showing me those numbers I mentioned earlier. Well after I got home I downloaded MSI Afterburner and noticed there was a huge difference in usage percentage between each other. So i compared to the performance section of the taskbar and yea as you can see there was never an issue... at least that I can see. Your opinion would be appreciated and feel free to have a laugh at me haha. 

Screenshot_(7).png

6 hours ago, GoshDamBatman said:

@TofuHaroto So, funny story, this whole time I have been using the xbox game bar on this PC to measure CPU/GPU usage. Its been showing me those numbers I mentioned earlier. Well after I got home I downloaded MSI Afterburner and noticed there was a huge difference in usage percentage between each other. So i compared to the performance section of the taskbar and yea as you can see there was never an issue... at least that I can see. Your opinion would be appreciated and feel free to have a laugh at me haha

This seems about normal to me 

Your all good 

If you still want you can put the power limit slider to max 

It will give you a bit more performance 😉

Build Log: