Why are only certain mangas compatible

I just bought a nook glowlight plus and the first volume of the ancient magus bride, intending to become a manga reader and just have a digital library. While I understand why people prefer actual books, I''ve always liked the portability and the books themselves are cheaper. But then I realized that this novel is not compatible with my device. I go to the website and realize that the compatibility list consists only of models that have a LCD display. (mine has E-ink) But this makes no sense, if you look elsewhere on the store, there are manga that can be read on this specific NOOK. So why are only certain books allowed on a E-ink display whole they force you to read others on a lcd. I don't see a technological reason. If one manga can be read on a display, then so can another. Or legal, They are already distributing digital copies. Why should it matter what device its on as long as the DRM works.

26 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

I just bought a nook glowlight plus and the first volume of the ancient magus bride, intending to become a manga reader and just have a digital library. While I understand why people prefer actual books, I''ve always liked the portability and the books themselves are cheaper. But then I realized that this novel is not compatible with my device. I go to the website and realize that the compatibility list consists only of models that have a LCD display. (mine has E-ink) But this makes no sense, if you look elsewhere on the store, there are manga that can be read on this specific NOOK. So why are only certain books allowed on a E-ink display whole they force you to read others on a lcd. I don't see a technological reason. If one manga can be read on a display, then so can another. Or legal, They are already distributing digital copies. Why should it matter what device its on as long as the DRM works.

One guess is color.  E-ink is b&w only

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

One guess is color.  E-ink is b&w only

Or shades of gray. eink may be 4 bit (16 shades) or 2 bit (just b/w), lcd is at least 6bit (64 shades) but most likely 8 bit (256 shades)

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Or shades of gray. eink may be 4 bit (16 shades) or 2 bit (just b/w), lcd is at least 6bit (64 shades) but most likely 8 bit (256 shades)

Wouldn't 2 bit be 4 shades? 00, 01, 10 and 11?

In my experience, E-Ink displays usually come in 2 bit or 4bit. Not often is it just black and white, but they do exist of course.

Plus color E-Ink is happening now too. E-Ink displays with something like Black, white, red, other shade of red already exist, but they are working on more color E-Ink display.

My guess however for OP, is that the manga is an incompatible format for the e-reader. Best bet is trying to convert it into a compatible format (e.g. .pdf or .png).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The way b&w is made into grey is through something called a line screen.  Dots of black on white to makes what looks like grey.  If the line screen used in the manga is small enough the e-ink display won’t be able to replicate it. Newsprint used to use a 60 or 80 line screen.  Pretty chunky.  If the line screen used in the original printing was too fine even a format change can’t fix it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

As long as the file format is supported the actual display shouldn't matter.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Its more about to what kind of distribution publisher has intended to books. If you buy from store with their own brand device, all those sold in the store should support those devices. This is actually pretty hot topic if you look at whether you can use Amazon books with other devices than Kindle. Or others like that. But if the publisher uses format which device also supports (lets say cbz with comics), all is good. If its sold as PDF/ACM, and device requires it to be MOBI, then you have a problem. Luckily there are software which can do conversions (and disable DRMs) to get around these stupid limitations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

As long as the file format is supported the actual display shouldn't matter.

This is true if the file is formatted correctly.  If the maga pages were merely hastily scanned as bitmaps and the line screen the publisher used was fine enough there could be a resolution problem.  A linescreen issue assumes hasty scanning without care taken to make sure stuff works at multiple resolutions. 

6 hours ago, minibois said:

My guess however for OP, is that the manga is an incompatible format for the e-reader. Best bet is trying to convert it into a compatible format (e.g. .pdf or .png).

The book was purchased by the same site (barns and noble) as the e reader. And some mangas in that site does work for the ereader. Just none of the selections I want to read. Would a single site use different formats for legal reasons?

2 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

The book was purchased by the same sight (barns and noble) as the e reader. And some mangas in that site does work for the ereader. Just none of the selections I want to read. Would a single site use different formats for legal reasons?

Not that I know of.  If I had to pick a reason it would be scanning sloppiness.  Occam’s razor and all.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not that I know of.  If I had to pick a reason it would be scanning sloppiness.  Occam’s razor and all.

The E-reader supports sideloading eBooks. Is there a way to download the ebook on another device and use adobe digital editions to convert it and side load it.

16 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

The E-reader supports sideloading eBooks. Is there a way to download the ebook on another device and use adobe digital editions to convert it and side load it.

Then just use that if you can make it go.

13 hours ago, Tedstonegenious said:

Yes. Look into Calibre. I'm just gonna say that I buy eBooks from Play Store and don't use Google Books to read them.

And it's 100% a thing where store uses their own format to favor their own hardware. Amazon and iTunes being most notable with this.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv