Ryzen 7 1700 OverClock

Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
44 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

1. What settings do I need to alter to get higher clock speeds?

> Drop your memory speed to 2400 MT/s so that you're sure it isn't causing the instabilities.

> Disable all forms of power management. (C-states, CnQ, CPB, PBO, etc)

> Disable all features that aren't strictly necessary.

> Exotic Cooling (Sub-ambient) allows for safer use of higher voltages

> Higher VCore.

> Install Zen+ or Zen 2 chip.

2. What settings do I need to alter to get a more stable overclock?

This is the same question as 1, except you have another option: Lower your clock speeds by the smallest increments until stability is reached.

39 minutes ago, Ami. said:

3. How do I fix the FPU issue in Aida64? 

FPU is part of your CPU. It isn't stable. See my response to Q2.

its not a silicone lottery thing..

This is very much a silicon lottery thing. You're pushing your silicon to the very limit. Just because someone else got 4.1 doesn't mean that you'll get it. It's well known among overclockers that the typical limit of an R7 1XXX with domestic cooling is 4.0 GHz, 4.1 if you're lucky, and 4.2 if you're really lucky. My R3 1200 does 3.75 GHz @ 1.45 V. That's a bad draw on the lottery, but not unsurprising for a bottom bin.

4 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

there are tons of other settings...

Do your research and experiment. Most of them have to do with power management and features.

You're overconfident in your hardware. Don't assume it can do 4.1 until you manage to get it. This is why we all say to leave it at 4.0, as it's being very clear in not wanting to go much further.

I am running 

ASROCK TAICHI X370 

RYZEN 7 1700 

24GB OF GEIL SUPER LUCE RGB

Dual Gtx 1070's in Sli 

Watercooled with 360 rad, 240 rad, cpu and 2 gpus on one loop.. temps are 30c at idle and 70's on full cpu load 

I am stable at 4.0Ghz with 1.4v, with my Ram at 3200mhz with 1.38v when i try anything higher i get instant crash in Cinebench R15... 

What bios settings should i try to alter to get it higher? 

Aida64 Extreme Passed my 25 min CPU test and 3 back to back Cinebench R15 runs, instantly failed FPU? How can I fix this.. Cache was fine also... 

Also Cinebench R20 will instantly crash for some reason? Like it refuses to run? 

You need to determine if your RAM or your CPU is unstable first by testing one at a time and then increase voltages as necessary or decrease speed. I wouldn't advise going any higher than 1.4v on the 1700 and 1.45v on the RAM.

40 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

Aida64 Extreme Passed my 25 min CPU test and 3 back to back Cinebench R15 runs, instantly failed FPU? How can I fix this.. Cache was fine also... 

Also Cinebench R20 will instantly crash for some reason? Like it refuses to run? 

> It's clearly not stable even here. 4 GHz+ is really a stretch on Zen. You likely won't get much more without dangerous amounts of voltage, or exotic cooling.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

ram is stable .... at 3200 mhz ... 1.4 is not that high .. i can do 1.45 my temps are good and i have a second triple rad coming.. Ill be running 3 rads so temps will be under control ... 

What settings in my bios do i need to tweak in order to push my cpu further? and get the fpu correct? i would imagine it is cpu related because when i drop it to like 3.6 the FPU passes.. 

1 hour ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

ram is stable .... at 3200 mhz ... 1.4 is not that high .. i can do 1.45 my temps are good and i have a second triple rad coming.. Ill be running 3 rads so temps will be under control ... 

What settings in my bios do i need to tweak in order to push my cpu further? and get the fpu correct? i would imagine it is cpu related because when i drop it to like 3.6 the FPU passes.. 

You won't be able to push your cpu any more 

Zen FCLK is really bad and getting an over clock on your cpu will most likely result on not being able to overclock your ram 

Your cpu is at it's limit 

That imc is really bad plus the interconnect

I'm surprised you even got to this point

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Guess you already reached the point where you'd need a massive amount of additional voltage to get more clockspeed out of the CPU. 
And on top it doesn't really matter how good your temps are , high voltage / too high voltage is not good for the cpu. 
If your CPU runs at (imagination) 40°C under full load with 1.5v that's still bad. 

Having reached these numbers CPU and RAM wise I'd already consider lucky and very solid. 

1.4v @ high 20c and 30c idle. You guys keep saying the same thing but are not answering my question. I need to know what other settings to add rather than pushing more vcore/cpu voltage ... there are tons of other settings... I can get 4.1ghz. Others have done it with Ryzen 7 1700. If I have to drop my Ram Speed down, I will ... 

Hi,

The fact is, if you drop your ram speed, your CPU effective speed will drop as well. Zen cores depends a lot on ram speed.

If you're stable at this point and not further with the parameters that you mentionned, then I consider, like the others, that you most likely reached the limit point, and trust me as well, 1.4 v at this temperature on that clock speed and that ram speed is really impressive for a ryzen 7 1700.

You won a gold chip at the silicon lottery.

Regards.

1 minute ago, Ami. said:

Hi,

The fact is, if you drop your ram speed, your CPU effective speed will drop as well. Zen cores depends a lot on ram speed.

If you're stable at this point and not further with the parameters that you mentionned, then I consider, like the others, that you most likely reached the limit point, and trust me as well, 1.4 v at this temperature on that clock speed and that ram speed is really impressive for a ryzen 7 1700.

You won a gold chip at the silicon lottery.

Regards.

Welcome to the forums 

Please quote people using the little arrow icon so they can see your reply ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

37 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Welcome to the forums 

Please quote people using the little arrow icon so they can see your reply ;)

Hi,

Thank you ahah, I will !

1 minute ago, dfsgsfa said:

disable smt , you may get more clock

that will kill performance .... its not a silicone lottery thing... Ive seen a youtuber who got 4.1ghz .... cooling is usually the issue with overclocking... I am not interested in whether or not people think i should do it or not... lol I am going to figure it out and I will probably eventually get 4.1ghz if not higher... I got 4.0ghz stable and could never do that before and everyone said the same thing when I asked about 4.0 ghz... 

What I am asking is to an "EXPERIENCED" overclocker,

2 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

that will kill performance .... its not a silicone lottery thing... Ive seen a youtuber who got 4.1ghz .... cooling is usually the issue with overclocking... I am not interested in whether or not people think i should do it or not... lol I am going to figure it out and I will probably eventually get 4.1ghz if not higher... I got 4.0ghz stable and could never do that before and everyone said the same thing when I asked about 4.0 ghz... 

Every chips are differents, some can't get above 3.7 even with high voltage and low ram speed.

That's the silicon lottery.

Regards.

Just now, Ami. said:

Every chips are differents, some can't get above 3.7 even with high voltage and low ram speed.

That's the silicon lottery.

Regards.

And the FCLK with zen sucks 

Running an over clocked ram ( especially with like hynix ram which is not known to over clock very well ) and a very HEAVILY over clocked chip 

The Interconnect will choke 

It has really bad FCLK as said above and with the obert clocked 

Finishing up with the terrible imc it's a mess 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

And the FCLK with zen sucks 

Running an over clocked ram ( especially with like hynix ram which is not known to over clock very well ) and a very HEAVILY over clocked chip 

The Interconnect will choke 

It has really bad FCLK as said above and with the obert clocked 

Finishing up with the terrible imc it's a mess 

17 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

FPU issue is due to instability, at this point you need lowering CPU clock speed, start a test after lowering every 0.025 ghz until you pass it without error, then use something like Prime95 on SmallFFT, you can call it solid if it don't crash for about 24 hours.

there was a survey on %of 1700 can reach how high

cant remember the exact numbers

sth like

over 95% reach 3.7g

70% reach 3.8g

50% reach 3.9g etc

> Drop your memory speed to 2400 MT/s so that you're sure it isn't causing the instabilities.

> Higher VCore.

This is the same question as 1, except you have another option: Lower your clock speeds by the smallest increments until stability is reached.

39 minutes ago, Ami. said:

its not a silicone lottery thing..

This is very much a silicon lottery thing. You're pushing your silicon to the very limit. Just because someone else got 4.1 doesn't mean that you'll get it. It's well known among overclockers that the typical limit of an R7 1XXX with domestic cooling is 4.0 GHz, 4.1 if you're lucky, and 4.2 if you're really lucky. My R3 1200 does 3.75 GHz @ 1.45 V. That's a bad draw on the lottery, but not unsurprising for a bottom bin.

there are tons of other settings...

Do your research and experiment. Most of them have to do with power management and features.

You're overconfident in your hardware. Don't assume it can do 4.1 until you manage to get it. This is why we all say to leave it at 4.0, as it's being very clear in not wanting to go much further.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

> Higher VCore.

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

> Higher VCore.

Exactly what I wanted to write just now. :'D Good I discovered that before starting to type :P

1.4v @ high 20c and 30c idle. You guys keep saying the same thing but are not answering my question. I need to know what other settings to add rather than pushing more vcore/cpu voltage ... there are tons of other settings... I can get 4.1ghz. Others have done it with Ryzen 7 1700. If I have to drop my Ram Speed down, I will ... 

Totally overseen this. Idle temperatures dont matter unless they are exceptionally high. What matters is the temperature under normal day use, and under full - benchmark (r20/r15) load... 

14 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

I am running 

ASROCK TAICHI X370 

RYZEN 7 1700 

24GB OF GEIL SUPER LUCE RGB

Dual Gtx 1070's in Sli 

Watercooled with 360 rad, 240 rad, cpu and 2 gpus on one loop.. temps are 30c at idle and 70's on full cpu load 

I am stable at 4.0Ghz with 1.4v, with my Ram at 3200mhz with 1.38v when i try anything higher i get instant crash in Cinebench R15... 

What bios settings should i try to alter to get it higher? 

3 minutes ago, C17H23NO2 said:

Totally overseen this. Idle temperatures dont matter unless they are exceptionally high. What matters is the temperature under normal day use, and under full - benchmark (r20/r15) load... 

I assume he got 70's on full load as wrote on his first post, which is very correct.

6 minutes ago, Ami. said:

I assume he got 70's on full load as wrote on his first post, which is very correct.

And overseen this too...damn it's too hot in my flat.. Thanks for pointing out. :D 

let me ask same question

1700 on b350F 1.425v 3.9ghz on air, 85c max load

aida64 says error

how to get more?

well then heres my question what can i do to stabilize my 4.0 to pass Fpu ? without lowering the clock speeds?  low ram and test .. because whatever will help stabilize 4.0 help get me to 4.1... 

what i am saying is i have voltage and temp under control which are two factors in not having high clocks ... 

I do not think i need more voltage, i am pretty sure some other voltage needs to be raised to stabilize it..  

Alot of Good responses though :) i am not going to lower my clock speed... its working fine on everything but the Fpu test in Adia64 which means it is some what stable ... 

8 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

well then heres my question what can i do to stabilize my 4.0 to pass Fpu ? without lowering the clock speeds?  low ram and test .. because whatever will help stabilize 4.0 help get me to 4.1... 

what i am saying is i have voltage and temp under control which are two factors in not having high clocks ... 

I do not think i need more voltage, i am pretty sure some other voltage needs to be raised to stabilize it..  

Alot of Good responses though :) i am not going to lower my clock speed... its working fine on everything but the Fpu test in Adia64 which means it is some what stable ... 

You need more voltage or to lower your clock speed those are the two options, how can you not understand this?? Please raise your vcore voltage further and kill your CPU for the sake of all of us that have tried to educate you.