Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Get usb wifi adapter working on ubuntu?

I bought this adapter from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T84VQ5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_8nU0EbPMBWCNZ

Could not get it working on ubuntu and now I am pretty sure it's not supported out of the box. It's a laptop I want to get internet to and the built in card is garbage. Does anyone know how to get one like this working on ubuntu? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I'd recommend checking this troubleshooting page there is on the Ubuntu website, it's very useful

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wireless-troubleshooting-hardware-check.html.en

image.png.45ae9e3861489e33768d4e1e970bc526.png

I had ran into that before but wasn't sure I was going the right direction. My device appears as realteck somthing or other 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I had ran into that before but wasn't sure I was going the right direction. My device appears as realteck somthing or other 

Realtek usually makes network cards and what not, I believe that may be the integrated ethernet on your pc. It must say Bus something something something, since it's a USB device (Universal Serial Bus), if it comes up as Bus something Device something and realtek after then you can probably get realtek drivers for the card for linux from their website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Realtek usually makes network cards and what not, I believe that may be the integrated ethernet on your pc. It must say Bus something something something, since it's a USB device (Universal Serial Bus), if it comes up as Bus something Device something and realtek after then you can probably get realtek drivers for the card for linux from their website.

The integrated is different, I know it's this one because when I unplug the card that one dissapears..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

The integrated is different, I know it's this one because when I unplug the card that one dissapears..

Well, assumming that it shows up under Bus and says it's realtek there should also be some kind of code there similarly to what I circled in the photo below, if you could tell me what code/text appears I should be able to hopefully find drivers for the device.

image.png.75d0b0c28fc8e9da3cca26cd1c324af6.png

image.png.26031be43eb7058fb9129693c2283bb5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Well, assumming that it shows up under Bus and says it's realtek there should also be some kind of code there similarly to what I circled in the photo below, if you could tell me what code/text appears I should be able to hopefully find drivers for the device.

image.png.75d0b0c28fc8e9da3cca26cd1c324af6.png

image.png.26031be43eb7058fb9129693c2283bb5.png

Here is the whole list :)

20200530_230525.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Here is the whole list

Take the stick out, wait 15 seconds, then plug it back in and do "dmesg" (obv., without the quotes) in the terminal. You'll see several lines where it says a USB-device was removed and then a bunch of lines when it was plugged in -- post those lines here.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Take the stick out, wait 15 seconds, then plug it back in and do "dmesg" (obv., without the quotes) in the terminal. You'll see several lines where it says a USB-device was removed and then a bunch of lines when it was plugged in -- post those lines here.

I will do that as soon as I'm by it again. Which will be tomorrow. I guess you want to see how the system recognizes the device in order to find the best driver. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I guess you want to see how the system recognizes the device in order to find the best driver. 

Dmesg will say what chipset it uses and whether the issue is just that you don't have the correct firmware-files installed under Ubuntu or if it's something else, so that's why.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, WereCatf said:

Dmesg will say what chipset it uses and whether the issue is just that you don't have the correct firmware-files installed under Ubuntu or if it's something else, so that's why.

Makes sense indeed :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Dmesg will say what chipset it uses and whether the issue is just that you don't have the correct firmware-files installed under Ubuntu or if it's something else, so that's why.

There you are my good sir.

20200531_094052.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

There you are my good sir.

  • Not a sir.
  • You can take screenshots or even just copypaste the text, instead of taking a picture of the screen with your phone.
  • The USB-stick you have most likely uses the RTL8822BU, which does not yet have a stable driver for Linux. You can try to install one from https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu , but I can't guarantee it'll work. Also, it might not be particularly easy for someone who has never compiled such before.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, WereCatf said:
  • Not a sir.
  • You can take screenshots or even just copypaste the text, instead of taking a picture of the screen with your phone.
  • The USB-stick you have most likely uses the RTL8822BU, which does not yet have a stable driver for Linux. You can try to install one from https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu , but I can't guarantee it'll work. Also, it might not be particularly easy for someone who has never compiled such before.

Hard to take a screenshot on and post it on a lc that had just enough internet connection to load a page in 5 mins. I shall try, annoying that it's so complicated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I shall try, annoying that it's so complicated

Aye, Realtek has never been friendly with the open-source community, so any drivers that we have have to be reverse-engineered and thus can take several years before actually stable, good drivers appear.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Aye, Realtek has never been friendly with the open-source community, so any drivers that we have have to be reverse-engineered and thus can take several years before actually stable, good drivers appear.

Know any good adapters compatible with ubuntu??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Know any good adapters compatible with ubuntu??

Most of my devices already have WiFi or I can use a PCI-e WiFi-adapter, so I haven't had much need for USB-WiFi. The only 802.11ac USB-stick I have is a single-antenna design and caps at 433Mbps -- if you want, I can go rummage around in the box later today and let you know, but I can't at the moment, as I dun' wanna wake the hubby up.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2020 at 9:32 PM, WereCatf said:

Most of my devices already have WiFi or I can use a PCI-e WiFi-adapter, so I haven't had much need for USB-WiFi. The only 802.11ac USB-stick I have is a single-antenna design and caps at 433Mbps -- if you want, I can go rummage around in the box later today and let you know, but I can't at the moment, as I dun' wanna wake the hubby up.

This old laptop has a pcie wifi adapter but it's just terrible... like my phone has full bars and decent speed but in the same spot this laptop has 1 bar that hardly stays connected. I guess I could get a new internal card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

This old laptop has a pcie wifi adapter but it's just terrible... like my phone has full bars and decent speed but in the same spot this laptop has 1 bar that hardly stays connected.

That sounds like the antenna has come disconnected from the WiFi-card. It happens sometimes, just pop the antenna back on the card and it should work. Or replace it. Intel WiFi NICs typically work great and they're not expensive on eBay or Amazon or such, like e.g. the Intel 7260HMW AN for mPCI-E slot is about 8€ and the Intel AX200NGW for M.2 slot is something around 15€.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That sounds like the antenna has come disconnected from the WiFi-card. It happens sometimes, just pop the antenna back on the card and it should work. Or replace it. Intel WiFi NICs typically work great and they're not expensive on eBay or Amazon or such, like e.g. the Intel 7260HMW AN for mPCI-E slot is about 8€ and the Intel AX200NGW for M.2 slot is something around 15€.

Oh well atlesst it's cheap to replace. It's only being used in a greenhouse side building for our staff to add/remove item stock from our square store. I normally avoid laptops myself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×