Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU + Motherboard overheat

Weird things has been happening to me today... First of all, I wanted to increase RAM for my wife's desktop computer. It has following specs: i3 540 (first generation of i processors), 4GB (2+2GB) DDR3 RAM 1333mhz, P7H55-M LX and SSD. She plays some browser game that needs a lot of open tabs in browser and we all know it consumes more RAM, so I decided to upgrade her RAM and instead of two 2GBs, replace them with two 4GBs. First I bought Team Elite 1600mhz RAMs (in the past this computer was mine and I had 4+4GB G.Skill Ripjaws with 1600mhz perfectly working in this system. So, I didn't think it would be a problem, but these Team Elite RAMs didn't work. computer was restarting over and over after boot screen. I got returned these memory sticks to the shop and they gave me refund. Then I went to another place. This guy had a lot of RAMs. We tested G.Skill Ares 1600mhz, didn't work, then G.Skill Ripjaws (but different models that I had in the past), still same problem. Then he put one 8GB 2400mhz memory, still nothing. Then I visited another place. That guy also had 1333mhz memory sticks. Few of them. None of them worked! Same problem, mb logo, rebooting... I gave up and went home. Then, I decided to check if my memory sticks would work there. I have G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz. I didn't have any hope, they would work, but holy shit, they worked! I even tested two of them, 4GB+4GB and they still worked! So, my wife's computer is so picky damn, from all of these, so many memory sticks only my RAMs worked, lol. So, I'm planing to give my 4+4GB memory sticks to her and rest 4+4GB (I have 16GB in total) will give to my mom's computer and I'm planning to buy whole new memory sticks for myself (four 4GBs). But real problem started after this. I put my memory sticks back to my computer. It didn't boot, only keyboard lights, but no signal on monitor. I don't remember if I turned off PC and turned on again or took out and put back memory sticks, but it started working. Seemed everything okay. We started watching TV show in in Plex. Soon, I noticed that my computer was louder than usual. I checked and it was quite hot. I checked temperatures and holy cow, CPU and mobo were on 100 degree celsius! I turned my PC off. Took out those 2 sticks, then put them back, but same. Then I turned off my PC and took out all memory sticks and went to have a shower. I came back, put all memory sticks back in slots, turned on my PC and I noticed that problem is gone and temperatures are okay now. I even tested with CPU stress test and it didn't reach 100 degrees. Maximum was 75 which is absolutely normal. So, my question is what happened before and why it was having such horrible temperatures? Is it possible that I put memory sticks not well? Could this cause such temperatures and overheating? I was so worried... I started thinking maybe I needed new cooler, which isn't big disaster, they're not very expansive, but what if something happened to my cpu which is i7 (3770k). CPU's are very expansive, especially i7s and finding such an old model would be even harder... You can't believe, how relieved I feel now that this problem is gone, but I wanna know what was causing this.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 32GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: Trust GXT 410 Rune Illuminated | OS: Windows 10 64bit

Wait what happened?

Certain memory ddr3 modules do and don't work on Intel platform.

Your best bet would have to visit the motherboard memory qualified vender list. Would have made your life much easier.

Some memory modules where specific to AMD and to Intel. 

Just because it says ddr3, doesn't mean it's just going to work.

But, glad you got it sorted out. 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Wait what happened?

Certain memory ddr3 modules do and don't work on Intel platform.

Your best bet would have to visit the motherboard memory qualified vender list. Would have made your life much easier.

Some memory modules where specific to AMD and to Intel. 

Just because it says ddr3, doesn't mean it's just going to work.

But, glad you got it sorted out. 

It's not about AMD and Intel, because when I first put those Team Elite memory sticks in P7H55-M LX and they didn't work, then I put them in my motherboard which is also intel motherboard (MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming) and they worked perfectly.

But what about this overheating? Why it happened?

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 32GB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: Trust GXT 410 Rune Illuminated | OS: Windows 10 64bit