Do HDD's still have a use as media storage in a gaming rig?

Have I got out of touch over the last few months?

I've been talking to a guy about his 10600k gaming build on this thread 

and I want to know what you all think - is a $200 2tb SSD a better option than a 500gb nvme and a 2tb HDD for $120?

Personally I use HDD's as game drives and ssd for important programs and boot since for me the loading times doesn't matter and it's cheaper with bulk HDD storage

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I put all my media on HDDs.  Internal and external.  Everything else is SSD.  The only time it sucks is moving a bunch of music.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I currently have a 500Gb ssd as the only storage in my system. It fits my programs and I have games in a separate partition. The only modern games I play are OW and GTA V, so I have about 50GB left for older games which are the types of games I mainly play. I am thinking of getting another 500Gb ssd exclusively for games tho. 

I put most of my games on hdd.  There are a few exceptions,  total war, warhammer comes to mind.  I couldn't take the loading times so i moved it to my ssd.

I use a hdd to house movies I stream via plex and lesser played games I don't mind waiting a few more seconds to load. They're dirt cheap and work well enough for those purposes.

I'd go for the larger SSD. Games are crazy huge nowadays. He can always add a hard drive later.

There's not much noticeable difference in real world usage speed between NVMe and Sata SSDs - I think there's even a LTT video about it where people picked wrong the fastest on blind tests.