What’s the extra CPU?

I’ve been out of the game in terms of what’s the best and fastest CPU. 

That said, let’s talk about multi-tasking for a moment and the demands of browsers or other “daily use” programs. 

Which CPUs would constitute as absolutely unnecessary for multi-tasking? If someone wants longevity or future proofing - is the 10900 or 3950x in the realm of too much? 

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

2 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Quad-core is more than enough for web-browsing etc.

Yeah but Chrome + Discord video chat is like the ultimate challenge. 

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

This type of content is for status updates - if you want to buy a CPU, fill our a form and tell us what you need. There is not such thing as "best" in general.

1 minute ago, kewtz said:

No ? 

It's not lmao 

I don't know how out of the game you have been but even r3 3100's have really good ipc and really good imc's and a decent fclk and decent chache latency 

It's pretty good and it's pretty cheap

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

35 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Not at all, not even close.

My work laptop has a i5 6300U, I'm a sys admin and I have all of this running at once ; Google Chrome with a minimum of 5 tabs open, an IP phone for making and taking calls, Teams for internal meetings and video conference and presentations, RDM with a minimum of 5 remote sessions opened, Outlook, Keepass, Notepad++ ... And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I have no issues with that dual-core CPU, appart from my slow Internet connection I'm ok with my office daily tasks.

So, if a dual-core mobile CPU is enough for all that, I'm guessing a quad-core CPU is more than enough for browsing and Discord ;)

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Not at all, not even close.

My work laptop has a i5 6300U, I'm a sys admin and I have all of this running at once ; Google Chrome with a minimum of 5 tabs open, an IP phone for making and taking calls, Teams for internal meetings and video conference and presentations, RDM with a minimum of 5 remote sessions opened, Outlook, Keepass, Notepad++ ... And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I have no issues with that dual-core CPU, appart from my slow Internet connection I'm ok with my office daily tasks.

So, if a dual-core mobile CPU is enough for all that, I'm guessing a quad-core CPU is more than enough for browsing and Discord ;)

Discord vs discord with video chat are very different animals in terms of CPU usage. Granted I’m using an FX-3600 which wasn’t good when it came out. 

In general though, I agree. 

Potato Revamp

3 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Discord vs discord with video chat are very different animals in terms of CPU usage. Granted I’m using an FX-3600 which wasn’t good when it came out. 

In general though, I agree. 

No they are not different

A dual core cpu will not just be more than enough 

It will be enough for it chrome and even Spotify ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

50 minutes ago, kewtz said:

No problem for even a dual core

48 minutes ago, kewtz said:

xD My budget CPU can do that even with it's frequency cut in half by power save plan. Why on earth would you even say that? 🤔

This is what I routinely deal with - Firefox had Twitch open (and a handful of other tabs) and Discord had video chat going between myself and a few friends.

The missing 25% is the broken out Discord process that seems to be handling the video.

photo_2020-05-27_19-54-49.jpg

Potato Revamp

1 minute ago, kewtz said:

This is what I routinely deal with - Firefox had Twitch open (and a handful of other tabs) and Discord had video chat going between myself and a few friends.

The missing 25% is the broken out Discord process that seems to be handling the video.

Yes your older cpu 

Is weaker a dual core is not the same as another dual core 

Build Log: 

So apparently browsing and discord isn’t hard - doesn’t answer the question. What CPU would be excessive for these types of daily activities? 

Potato Revamp

3 minutes ago, kewtz said:

So apparently browsing and discord isn’t hard - doesn’t answer the question. What CPU would be excessive for these types of daily activities? 

Get a ryzen 3 3100 

With a gpu 

If you want a laptop something like a Y sku should do the job

If you want a cpu but not a gpu get a 1200 af

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, kewtz said:

I’ve been out of the game in terms of what’s the best and fastest CPU. 

That said, let’s talk about multi-tasking for a moment and the demands of browsers or other “daily use” programs. 

Which CPUs would constitute as absolutely unnecessary for multi-tasking? If someone wants longevity or future proofing - is the 10900 or 3950x in the realm of too much? 

Well most games dont scale past 8 cores or threads. 

So to future proof my threads, I turn on SMT.

Yes, my 2700 should last a few years in the "enough threads" department. 

For some people, the need more. 3900x or perhaps a TR like @Den-Fi for example can utilize multiple TR rigs and may always be in need of more threads.

Average user 6/12ct or 8/16 would be a pretty average purchase in 2020. Lots of 3600x/3700x chips sold.

A Ryzen 3100 would be overkill for only doing those things, probably something like the 3200G would already be overkill.

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you want a cpu but not a gpu get a 1200 af

I don't think that the Ryzen 1200 would work without GPU, only "G" CPUs from AMD got iGPUs right?

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

I don't think that the Ryzen 1200 would work without GPU, only "G" CPUs from AMD got iGPUs right?

Look again 

I said the 1200 af 

It's basically a 2200g but cheaper

It costs 50 bucks and I'm pretty sure it has Vega 8

Edit : just checked and it looks like it does not 

My bad

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Look again 

I said the 1200 af 

I think that the R3 1200AF is just a lower clocked R3 2300X which is basically a 2200G without a iGPU, clocked higher and more L3 Cache, I wasn't able to find anything that indicates that the R3 1200AF got a iGPU or that it would work in case it was included.

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Look again 

I said the 1200 af 

Edit : just checked and it looks like it does not 

My bad

I have a few low end chips. They are not good in performance. 

So a 4790K quad core is going to spank a ryzen 3 1200 or maybe Ryzen Athlon and 3000g also.

Not always about thread count, but if we are talking about low end chips, we must also recognise the low frequency and lower IPC as well.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

and lower IPC as well.

Yep I agree that's but a 1200 af has decent ipc and a Meh imc but it does the job and it has 4 cores 

But I agree with you ;)

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

I think that the R3 1200AF is just a lower clocked R3 2300X which is basically a 2200G without a iGPU, clocked higher and more L3 Cache, I wasn't able to find anything that indicates that the R3 1200AF got a iGPU or that it would work in case it was included.

Yea I was wrong I edited my post lmao 

Build Log: 

26 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Difference in IPC (instructions per cycle) means that I could go from FX-8350 (8-core) to Ryzen 5 (6-core) and still get I dunno.. 3 times the performance? My FX was overclocked while my Ryzen 5 is completely stock. If your budget is really low then a FX-8 or 9 will handle your Discord and browsing but still not good IPC so a low-end Ryzen would be better but you'd also need new RAM and mobo.

21 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well most games dont scale past 8 cores or threads. 

So to future proof my threads, I turn on SMT.

Yes, my 2700 should last a few years in the "enough threads" department. 

For some people, the need more. 3900x or perhaps a TR like @Den-Fi for example can utilize multiple TR rigs and may always be in need of more threads.

Average user 6/12ct or 8/16 would be a pretty average purchase in 2020. Lots of 3600x/3700x chips sold.

YOU HAVE MORE CORES?! WHERE?! GIBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yep I agree that's but a 1200 af has decent ipc and a Meh imc but it does the job and it has 4 cores 

But I agree with you ;)

:D

For sure great power saving chips though. Lets say not quite as fast right..... but they save tons of power. 

Sub 50w can cool passively easily with the right heat sink and case flow. thumbs up!

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I have a few low end chips. They are not good in performance. 

So a 4790K quad core is going to spank a ryzen 3 1200 or maybe Ryzen Athlon and 3000g also.

Not always about thread count, but if we are talking about low end chips, we must also recognise the low frequency and lower IPC as well.

The Ryzen 3 2300X(likely similar to a OC'd 1200AF) is about the same as the i5 7600, so while it got less threads than the 4790K it isn't as slow as you would think. The lowest end 7nm Ryzen 3 3100 beats the 4790K pretty easily and also matches the 6700K/7700K.