How to power on and off HDD manually under Win10?

dr_narval

Dear All,

My computer uses an SSD on which I store all I need for everyday use. I also have a HDD to store backups.

Is there a way to keep this HDD powered off by default? I would like to have the option of turning it on every now and then to do the backup, but would prefer it to stay quiet otherwise. This would hopefully lengthen its lifespan too.

One option is to pull the power on it manually, but maybe there are more elegant ways to go about this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'd use an USB enclosure for the optional drive.

Though its would be better if the drive was 2.5" or smaller then.

I edit my posts more often than not

9 minutes ago, dr_narval said:

Dear All,

My computer uses an SSD on which I store all I need for everyday use. I also have a HDD to store backups.

Is there a way to keep this HDD powered off by default? I would like to have the option of turning it on every now and then to do the backup, but would prefer it to stay quiet otherwise. This would hopefully lengthen its lifespan too.

One option is to pull the power on it manually, but maybe there are more elegant ways to go about this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Disable the drive within device-manager manually.

You can then enable it whenever you like.

So you could unmount it in the disk management settings. But with desktops the thing with hard drives is that as long as the PSU is on they are always getting 5V or 12V depending on the required power. So unless you unmount then unplug the SATA power cable then your HDD will still be on.

Although you needle will be in park mode your hard drive should stop the motor after a certain amount of down time.

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd use an USB enclosure for the optional drive.

Though its would be better if the drive was 2.5" or smaller then.

Yeah, since one backup is no backup I have that too :)

I would prefer to keep this one in the computer.

1 minute ago, phoon said:

So you could unmount it in the disk management settings. But with desktops the thing with hard drives is that as long as the PSU is on they are always getting 5V or 12V depending on the required power. So unless you unmount then unplug the SATA power cable then your HDD will still be on.

Although you needle will be in park mode your hard drive should stop the motor after a certain amount of down time.

I see. I suppose that after disabling the HDD in the device manager the time after which the disks are spun down is determined by the HDD electronics. Or is there a way to set this? Thanks!

Yeah I think if you take a look into your power options you can set a timer for it to turn off.

Take this link for reference, Its quite simple:

https://superuser.com/questions/365286/how-can-i-force-an-internal-hard-drive-to-power-on-or-off-when-i-want

Good Luck! :) 

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

1 hour ago, phoon said:

Yeah I think if you take a look into your power options you can set a timer for it to turn off.

Take this link for reference, Its quite simple:

https://superuser.com/questions/365286/how-can-i-force-an-internal-hard-drive-to-power-on-or-off-when-i-want

Good Luck! :) 

Thanks a bunch, and for the others too! :)