PC Noob - Travel build

Emizaquel

So, I've been having some trouble with my laptop lately, and if I can't sort it out I've been considering using the opportunity to build an actual rig.

That said, I travel a lot.

To the point that it has been the deciding factor in choosing between a tower and a laptop.

That said, I had an idea for a case that I wanted an opinion on.

Assuming that I can buy or fabricate a case similar to the one used on Max's first pc build, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw7TsIbmeM) where everything is bolted to the case  would it be a safe case to travel with? In carry-on for example.

My assumption is that having the GPU mounted to the actual case and maybe even having extra retaining mechanisms for the RAM would mean that as long as I had it in my carry-on, I would be able to transport it relatively easily.

Does that hold true? Or would that be a bad idea and I should just get another laptop?

Maybe this will do the job 

It's small and will fit a flex atx PSU with a mini itx board and a small GPU ( the ones that come with less power phases) 

It's portable and will for anything 

If your a heavy used this will do 

But if you travel and is a light user

Do you just use the internet or watch YouTube or maybe work a bit ( like word or Excel etc ) 

A laptop isn't the worst idea and it's a complete setup by it self 

But if your a heavy user something like the case above maybe should do the job 

Edited by TofuHaroto
correction : sfx PSU / flea atx

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto

I'm more on the heavy user side of things? I do a lot of programming work and I have some work lined up in AI-related tasks, so I'm probably going to need the horsepower. I also game on and off, so I'll need a bit on that end.

I'm not too worried about the weight, I usually travel fairly light - my carry on is usually my laptop + accessories and a couple changes of clothes.

2 minutes ago, Emizaquel said:

@TofuHaroto

I'm more on the heavy user side of things? I do a lot of programming work and I have some work lined up in AI-related tasks, so I'm probably going to need the horsepower. I also game on and off, so I'll need a bit on that end.

I'm not too worried about the weight, I usually travel fairly light - my carry on is usually my laptop + accessories and a couple changes of clothes.

Then maybe that case will be good 

It's small and will only fit a flex atx PSU which is kinda meh but if you want something compact  maybe it will do the job 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto

Small isn't really the name of the game for me, I'm more interested in transportable. I was wondering if having things screwed into the case would mean that I could take it as a carry on without worrying about damaging the computer in transit.

4 minutes ago, Emizaquel said:

@TofuHaroto

Small isn't really the name of the game for me, I'm more interested in transportable. I was wondering if having things screwed into the case would mean that I could take it as a carry on without worrying about damaging the computer in transit.

Oh so something flat 

Hmm maybe the case max built the computer in would make sense but I'm pretty sure it's a little too big for travel I could be wrong 

Either way maybe check case labs for something like it 

Edit : no way... When did case labs go bankrupt ?!?!?!

NOOOOO I USED TO LOVE THEM SO MUCH

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

Just now, Emizaquel said:

@TofuHaroto

Thank you for the help!

Any time but still something like that case that I mentioned above 

Could be transported with you anytime 

I don't think "screwing" things into place would really help since that case is still very tight nothing can move in it 

Build Log: