What can be done about Asus continuing to seal their M.2 heatsink screws with Loctite red?

I currently had to return my Z490 board to have the retailer remove one screw that was attached too strongly for me, not realizing that there were two more underneath for the bottom M.2 slot, but while I was able to remove them I found Loctite RED on one of them, which is meant to be used to make permanent unbreakable bonds. On a previous Asus Z390 I was fully unable to remove the screws on the M2 heatsink even after cooking it on the hob to weaken any glue, and using pliers to grip and open a screw.

Firstly here is a picture of Loctite red used on a current M.2 heatsink screw on my Azus Z490:

kGqUcNp.jpg

Here is a photo of the screws on my Asus Z390 that would not come off even after cooking them, even with pliers / rubber band / all the solutions and tricks found online:

fpKJ3rB.jpg

Also I sent both these photos as uploads to Imgur and direct image links to Asus support as part of a letter threatening to make a small court claim - so they complained to Imgur and had my images removed, as though I didnt still have them in my sent messages outbox.

Here on Reddit is my current thread trying to discuss this:

By simply googling 'Asus M.2 Screw Stuck', you can easily find possibly over a hundred cases of this, most of which are on ROG forums:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=0zF&sxsrf=ALeKk02bhegfmtWudp3i1CF6lV7FhiIqaw%3A1590728993543&ei=IZnQXurcIIWU1fAPt8KaqAQ&q=asus+m.2+screw+stuck&oq=asus+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMggIABCRAhCLAzIKCAAQFBCHAhCLAzIKCAAQFBCHAhCLAzIFCAAQiwMyBwgAEEMQiwMyBQgAEIsDMgUIABCLAzoFCAAQgwE6AggAOgoIABCDARAUEIcCUKTqM1j_7jNgxvkzaABwAHgAgAFaiAHTApIBATWYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6uAED&sclient=psy-ab

Other than making a small court claim myself which I will be doing and it only costs me £35 to do so, I cannot make or afford, and I doubt anyone else is going to, a full civil litigation of any kind to stop Asus in particular from using the RED version of Loctite on their M.2 heatsink screws. I've had a Gigabyte Z390 in between my 2 Asus boards and every screw came off with ease and only used Loctite blue, as I am sure is the case with all the other non Asus brands. However from my personal experience, non Asus boards do not overclock my CPU or Ram anywhere near as well, so I have to continue to struggle with my M.2 cover screws having permanently sealing loctite RED on them. 

The retailers of these products typically simply claim 'you are the only customer that has had this issue, so therefore it must be a user error', the current retailer only helped because I told them about the problem before ordering, but they weren't able to remove the screws before sending me the board because of coronavirus.

IMO send feedback to ASUS feedback link?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

IMO send feedback to ASUS feedback link?

I've already fully exhausted complaining to Asus about this for over 8 months since having the issue on my Z390 board - all they do is say some variant of 'We have no contract with you, take it up with the retailer', and the retailers claim 'you are the only customer with this problem so therefore it is a user error and no RMA'.

I already had to escalate my Z390 issues to trading standards to get a refund, and now am already about to make a small claim via the court.

21 minutes ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

I've already fully exhausted complaining to Asus about this for over 8 months since having the issue on my Z390 board - all they do is say some variant of 'We have no contract with you, take it up with the retailer', and the retailers claim 'you are the only customer with this problem so therefore it is a user error and no RMA'.

I already had to escalate my Z390 issues to trading standards to get a refund, and now am already about to make a small claim via the court.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but if you keep having problems with ASUS boards and not others, and you think you have exhausted all options with getting them to change their practices, then why don't you buy a board not made by ASUS? They aren't the only ones that make good motherboards. 

Sounds like you're on a mission, probably not much is going to change your mind anymore.

However, according to the manufacturer (Henkel), threads with Red Loctite can be unbonded by heating the assembly to 290 °C which will melt (or destroy, dunno) the glue. Cooking your SSD (Edit: it's about a heatsink, not an SSD; my bad) on the hob will surely not have gone to that temperature, you're as likely to have melted all the solder on the board before realizing the screw was hot enough.

I suggest using a soldering iron to spot heat the screw to a sufficient temperature. That should do it.

You're right that ASUS shouldn't be using red Loctite. Blue should be adequate to ensure it doesn't come apart over time.

2 hours ago, The_russian said:

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but if you keep having problems with ASUS boards and not others, and you think you have exhausted all options with getting them to change their practices, then why don't you buy a board not made by ASUS? They aren't the only ones that make good motherboards. 

I already did this too, I tried a gigabyte Z390 rated for 4400+ ram, and it wouldnt overclock my ram at all.

Same ram kit:

Asus Z390 - 4000 CL18 1.48v

Gigabyte Z390 - 3400 CL16 no boot, 3300 CL16 boot but instant errors, 3200 CL 16 (rated stock setting) boot and works but eventual BSOD with 'memory management' issue.  

Asus Z490 - 4133 CL17 1.45v.

So actually yes, at least when it comes to overclocking Asus are the only valid option. Also regardless of whether I choose a different brand doesnt resolve the issue of Asus sealing their M.2 heatsink screws with Loctite red.

Also previously I bought an MSI Godlike board for whatever socket the I7 5820 / 6850 were, and it cost £450. It stopped booting in less than 6 months, and the error code shown was also being reported all over MSI's forums from loads of people with equally 'high end' MSI boards, but just like Asus now, they never accepted it, looked into it or did anything about it at all, and I already made the decision then to not use non Asus boards again. At least once I've managed to get the screws off on an Asus board, it then isnt even 10% as crap as a Gigabyte or MSI one for long term use.

1 hour ago, AcidFuchsin said:

Sounds like you're on a mission, probably not much is going to change your mind anymore.

However, according to the manufacturer (Henkel), threads with Red Loctite can be unbonded by heating the assembly to 290 °C which will melt (or destroy, dunno) the glue. Cooking your SSD (Edit: it's about a heatsink, not an SSD; my bad) on the hob will surely not have gone to that temperature, you're as likely to have melted all the solder on the board before realizing the screw was hot enough.

I suggest using a soldering iron to spot heat the screw to a sufficient temperature. That should do it.

You're right that ASUS shouldn't be using red Loctite. Blue should be adequate to ensure it doesn't come apart over time.

And how would putting a soldering iron to the screw not damage the rest of / surrounding parts of the board? Why exactly should I even need to do this? Why should Asus be using Loctite red on M.2 heatsink screws in the first place? What does it take to get them to stop?

6 minutes ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

I already did this too, I tried a gigabyte Z390 and it wouldnt overclock my ram at all.

(...)

So actually yes, at least when it comes to overclocking Asus are the only valid option.

*Tries one other board

> Asus is the only option

🤷‍♂️

It's pretty much a fact that good and bad products can be found in everyone's lineup when it comes to motherboard manufacturers.

6 minutes ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

Also regardless of whether I choose a different brand doesnt resolve the issue of Asus sealing their M.2 heatsink screws with Loctite red.

It does and it doesn't. Companies that don't sell products don't make them for very long. It won't necessary change their screw practices unless they identify that as the reason for not selling, though, which probably won't happen.

Also, it would have to be a company policy in the first place: if these are mistakes at the production line and/or QC failures, then there won't even be a policy to be changed.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

*Tries one other board

> Asus is the only option

🤷‍♂️

*Doesnt read the rest of the post

>Jumps to conclusions.

Also each manufacturer typically only makes a SINGLE mini ITX board per generation. If the other brands dont work then yes, Asus is the only option if thats the only one that works once the M.2 slots are accessible.

Also why is it so offensive to you and others that I am using an Asus motherboard?

1 minute ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

*Doesnt read the rest of the post

True, you haven't.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

True, you haven't.

If only 1% of Asus users experience this problem and therefore stop buying Asus boards, that isn't going to do anything at all either to solve the problem

So how about trying to suggest something that might actually work as per the tread topic instead of simply stating inaccurate conjectures?

28 minutes ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

And how would putting a soldering iron to the screw not damage the rest of / surrounding parts of the board? Why exactly should I even need to do this? Why should Asus be using Loctite red on M.2 heatsink screws in the first place? What does it take to get them to stop?

Because a soldering iron puts heat in a very small spot, in contrast to "cooking" the entire piece. You'd heat up the part that needs to be heated way before getting anything of the surrounding parts to any damaging temperatures. It's basically the whole point of a soldering iron...

Why you should need to do this? You're the one insisting on using those ASUS products that come with the red Loctite. I'm trying to help you with a current problem, not with doing the impossible.

Your third question, reread the last sentence of my previous post.

Your last question: probably nothing that you can realistically do. Really want a suggestion? Buy the company and change the production. There, solved. You asked for it.

You might want to reconsider your attitude towards people helpfully replying to your thread. You haven't given them any money, so you can't possibly feel entitled to anything from them. Rage against ASUS as much as you want for all I care. Curious how far it'll get you. Imo, it's a case of vote with your wallet.

Things get hot, expand, contract, screws fall out. Thats what Loctite is used for.

40 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Things get hot, expand, contract, screws fall out. Thats what Loctite is used for.

Yes but you don't use red in this case.

1 hour ago, StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws said:

If only 1% of Asus users experience this problem and therefore stop buying Asus boards, that isn't going to do anything at all either to solve the problem

So how about trying to suggest something that might actually work as per the tread topic instead of simply stating inaccurate conjectures?

RMA the board over and over until you get one that doesn't have red. It will cost them each time and they'll eventually look into why. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes but you don't use red in this case.

RMA the board over and over until you get one that doesn't have red. It will cost them each time and they'll eventually look into why. 

Are they actually meant to be user removable?

Well, maybe it makes sense to someone to sell a board with an m.2 slot you can't use, but...

Read the topic maybe?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Loctite red = for shit you don't want to ever come apart

Loctite blue = for shit you don't want coming apart unless you make it come apart

Asus screwed up with this.  Hope you find a solution.  This type of stuff shies me away from a company for long time. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Built 2 similar system with the same board. Also had red loctite, found it a little odd but didn't think any of it. From my automotive experience (I have encountered many many bolts with loctite/rusted bolts etc.) I ditched the screwdriver I was using and grabbed my small socket wrench with the right bit for it. Came loose without a hitch after that!

7 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Are they actually meant to be user removable?

Are M.2 slots meant to be usable? If I buy a board with 2 M.2 slots and have 2 M.2 drives, am I meant to be able to install them?

Hmmmm, this is really very hard to understand! Lemme check the manual real quick .....

Ok I checked the manual (again):

lQ9Wpfa.jpg

Step 4 was the screw that I couldn't get off and already sent the board back to the retailer to ask them to remove it. One of the two screws in step 13 was then the one that I found that had loclite red, but fortunately somehow it still came off easily. This time. The 2 M.2s slots are on each side of the daughterboard, and the integrated sound is on the rest of that board, a rather clever design, except they always seal it all down with loctite red!

37 minutes ago, XHD600X said:

Built 2 similar system with the same board. Also had red loctite, found it a little odd but didn't think any of it. From my automotive experience (I have encountered many many bolts with loctite/rusted bolts etc.) I ditched the screwdriver I was using and grabbed my small socket wrench with the right bit for it. Came loose without a hitch after that!

Can you advise me on what kind of wrench and how to find one with micro phillips heads? Currently I bought a T Bar handle with such ends.

Or ideally are there wrenches / handles that will already work with my 1/4 inch bits:

2DPuJnm.jpg

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GZPGMPF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Because it seems it will work with both the screw bits and the nut bits too.

3 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Loctite red = for shit you don't want to ever come apart

Loctite blue = for shit you don't want coming apart unless you make it come apart

Asus screwed up with this.  Hope you find a solution.  This type of stuff shies me away from a company for long time. 

Forgot about the gold ole green. 

Also, @StopLoctiteOnM.2Screwsbe happy they are using it the way they are and not using primer or the curing agent. If you think just red is bad wait till you come across properly used Loctite...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

It honestly just sounds like you've been unlucky twice. I've never heard of anyone having this issue. 

Shit happens. Like others have said, if you're having problems with them, move on to something else. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, AcidFuchsin said:

Don't think there was any doubt of that considering his name is "StopLoctiteOnM.2Screws". It's like op created this account solely for this one thing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

36 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It honestly just sounds like you've been unlucky twice. I've never heard of anyone having this issue. 

Shit happens. Like others have said, if you're having problems with them, move on to something else. 

I've never heard of anyone that has had a PSU die so I suppose it never happens.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=asus+m.2+screws+stuck&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Just because you are personally ignorant of something as such doesnt mean that it isnt happening. Moving onto something else doesnt stop the issue happening, and as I already said I tried it and other brands have worse problems than this.