Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with AMD and Apollo Twin MKII

Hey guys, hopefully someone can give me some insight.  I recently went from my macbook pro to a custom built pc for my audio and gaming. But for some reason I can't get my pc to recognize my Apollo Twin MKII. I have tried three different thunderbolt to usb c adapters, downloaded drivers, watched videos on youtube and still nothing.  I have the amd ryzen 7 and my motherboard does not have a thunderbolt 3 slot. There are no available motherboards or pcie cards that I find that is compatible with amd and thunderbolt 3 Any tips? Has anyone experienced this issue? I really don't want to have to buy a new interface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need a thunderbolt port. You cannot adapt a thunderbolt port to USB C. The thunderbolt port uses different protocols to transmit data. There are definitely AMD motherboards that have TB3 but they are kind of expensive and I'm assuming you don't want to buy a new motherboard. What motherboard do you currently have? a limited amount of AMD boards can support add in cards, but you still might just need to buy a new motherboard

My life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, gofigure715 said:

Hey guys, hopefully someone can give me some insight.  I recently went from my macbook pro to a custom built pc for my audio and gaming. But for some reason I can't get my pc to recognize my Apollo Twin MKII. I have tried three different thunderbolt to usb c adapters, downloaded drivers, watched videos on youtube and still nothing.  I have the amd ryzen 7 and my motherboard does not have a thunderbolt 3 slot. There are no available motherboards or pcie cards that I find that is compatible with amd and thunderbolt 3 Any tips? Has anyone experienced this issue? I really don't want to have to buy a new interface.

You bought a thunderbolt audio interface and are using a platform that does not support thunderbolt...
I really don't understand why you would do that, there are so many great USB options for far cheaper but I guess you just decided you had to spend the money on something that isn't at all compatible. Other people haven't experienced this issue because it's not an issue, they just arent compatible.

There are three ways to solve this problem,
1, Get a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard (many x570 motherboards support TB3)
2, Get a thunderbolt PCI card (not officially compatible but unofficially it works great, your mileage may vary)
3, Buy a USB interface like a normal person

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Flying Sloth said:

You bought a thunderbolt audio interface and are using a platform that does not support thunderbolt...
I really don't understand why you would do that
 

Because Apple

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Flying Sloth said:

there are so many great USB options for far cheaper

Is there? the UA stuff has really good software integration with their plugins. Like their unison preamps are really good if your recording live audio. Its literally direct monitoring with plugins. And on top of that it's competive with other 1000$ audio interfaces in terms of quality. 

My life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Is there? the UA stuff has really good software integration with their plugins. Like their unison preamps are really good if your recording live audio. Its literally direct monitoring with plugins. And on top of that it's competive with other 1000$ audio interfaces in terms of quality. 

I didn't say "better", I said "great"
There's a big difference.

Ignoring the fact that there is a USB Apollo Twin,
RME, MOTU and Antelope are in a very similar price range with many more channels (and some of which having DSP like the UA), as is some of the Clarett stuff and IMO I'd take a 24AI over an Apollo Twin any day

Even if I did say "better" your point comes down to assuming someone wants to spend the extra cash on UA plugins as opposed to say Waves, Fabfilter, Kontakt or Izotope. I own products from all the aforementioned options and while UA has some great stuff I reach for it far less than the others. Besides, people who've seen me go off on Apple before know I'm not a huge fan of ecosystems, my studio is based around ADAT because it doesn't lock me in to any one hardware or software ecosystem, I can expand in any direction I wish.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, gofigure715 said:

Hey guys, hopefully someone can give me some insight.  I recently went from my macbook pro to a custom built pc for my audio and gaming. But for some reason I can't get my pc to recognize my Apollo Twin MKII. I have tried three different thunderbolt to usb c adapters, downloaded drivers, watched videos on youtube and still nothing.  I have the amd ryzen 7 and my motherboard does not have a thunderbolt 3 slot. There are no available motherboards or pcie cards that I find that is compatible with amd and thunderbolt 3 Any tips? Has anyone experienced this issue? I really don't want to have to buy a new interface.

Short answer - it won’t work. 
 

In that generation of UAD interfaces they made extremely stupid decision to make Thunderbolt version which works only on Mac and USB which works only on PC. 
 

Only Twin X with USB C works on both Mac and PC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Short answer - it won’t work. 
 

In that generation of UAD interfaces they made extremely stupid decision to make Thunderbolt version which works only on Mac and USB which works only on PC. 
 

Only Twin X with USB C works on both Mac and PC. 

This hasn't been true since at least 2017 2016

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Flying Sloth said:

This hasn't been true since at least 2017 2016

I was looking when mk 2 was just released and found it stupid that I could not use it both on my Mac and PC and never checked them back again (that is why I made a mistake here). I’ve taken a look into release notes and from version 9.1 it is compatible on both Windows and Mac (March 13, 2017). 

Although I thought that AMD will never work with Thunderbolt, it seems that since February this year we got the first AMD Thunderbolt motherboard. And Thunderbolt is a bit complicated so it cannot be added to the system by simply putting PCIe board 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Although I thought that AMD will never work with Thunderbolt, it seems that since February this year we got the first AMD Thunderbolt motherboard. And Thunderbolt is a bit complicated so it cannot be added to the system by simply putting PCIe board 

The Titan Ridge PCI Thunderbolt card I linked earlier is Ryzen compatible, X570 is, however, the first Ryzen platform to allow native support for Thunderbolt.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Flying Sloth said:

RME, MOTU and Antelope are in a very similar price range with many more channels (and some of which having DSP like the UA)

There is one significant difference between UA and RME and Antelope in the terms of DSP. UA uses Analog Devices Sharc DSP while RME and Antelope are using FPGAs as DSP. Don’t get me wrong, none of them is superior to the other terms of sound quality, however FPGAs are bitch to develop. That is why there is a variety of UA plugins, but not that much plugins available for Antelope or RME. That’s why there is a much higher appeal towards UA products from a variety point. You can program Sharc or similar DSPs in C while Verilog or VHDL for FPGA is a huge PITA and FPGA development cycle is much slower. Currently I am working on a FPGA based project and it  is taking forever. 
 

but anyhow I agree that today we have many great plugins which don’t require any specific hardware. Back in a day CPUs were just way too slow and external DSPs had sense to offload the processing. Today even Raspberry Pi’s SOC has quite powerful DSP onboard. Also, there is nothing special if you compare same eg. AD Sharc DSP plugin with native x64 plugin. They do exactly the same thing. DSP code is just a ton of mathematical equations being performed on a sampled audio signal. Also, one great thing about DSPs from a developer point of view is that it is virtually impossible to pirate your software because it is locked to the physical device. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Flying Sloth said:

The Titan Ridge PCI Thunderbolt card I linked earlier is Ryzen compatible, X570 is, however, the first Ryzen platform to allow native support for Thunderbolt.

I understand that there are only a few x570 boards that support thunderbolt at all and they are high end.   Will more b550 boards support thunderbolt then? And what about usb4.0?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I understand that there are only a few x570 boards that support thunderbolt at all and they are high end.   Will more b550 boards support thunderbolt then? And what about usb4.0?

You're right, it's only in a few mobos, that's why I said it was "the first Ryzen platform to allow native support for Thunderbolt." and not "It has Thunderbolt support". 
I have very little knowledge about what new chipsets will and won't support, it all comes down to the choices AMD makes going forwards.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Niksa said:

Also, one great thing about DSPs from a developer point of view is that it is virtually impossible to pirate your software because it is locked to the physical device. 

And if you know anything about music production, it's that 99.9% of your users are not paying for your software.

Honestly though, having used UA stuff here and there, it doesn't stand out to me as better than CPU bound plugins. Waves, Fabfilter, Valhalla and iZotope account for prettymuch all the effects I use regularly and even when UA products are available I can't find a good reason to use them over what I know.

UA makes great hardware, their rack pres/comps are great and their interfaces are standard for high end personal and low end studio use but to me they just don't have the value proposition that MOTU and Antelope do in the 'high end lots of IO' game and they certainly can't beat out much in the 'couple of good pres' game since I can grab a (good) cheap 2 input interface, a couple of GAP73 (or other decent) pres and an FMR RNC for less than the cheapest offering from UA. The Apollo does look cool though, I'll certainly give you that one, my monitor controller is a fair bit bulkier than that. 




 

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, The Flying Sloth said:

You bought a thunderbolt audio interface and are using a platform that does not support thunderbolt...
I really don't understand why you would do that, there are so many great USB options for far cheaper but I guess you just decided you had to spend the money on something that isn't at all compatible. Other people haven't experienced this issue because it's not an issue, they just arent compatible.

There are three ways to solve this problem,
1, Get a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard (many x570 motherboards support TB3)
2, Get a thunderbolt PCI card (not officially compatible but unofficially it works great, your mileage may vary)
3, Buy a USB interface like a normal person

I have had the interface for almost 2 years, like I said I went from a macbook pro to a custom built pc and did not anticipate this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, gofigure715 said:

I have had the interface for almost 2 years, like I said I went from a macbook pro to a custom built pc and did not anticipate this.

Thanks for your help though, I have the tuf gaming x570 motherboard and I have only seen two motherboards that have thunderbolt 3 and are amd compatible and just my luck they are both out of stock everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Flying Sloth said:

And if you know anything about music production, it's that 99.9% of your users are not paying for your software.

Honestly though, having used UA stuff here and there, it doesn't stand out to me as better than CPU bound plugins. Waves, Fabfilter, Valhalla and iZotope account for prettymuch all the effects I use regularly and even when UA products are available I can't find a good reason to use them over what I know.

UA makes great hardware, their rack pres/comps are great and their interfaces are standard for high end personal and low end studio use but to me they just don't have the value proposition that MOTU and Antelope do in the 'high end lots of IO' game and they certainly can't beat out much in the 'couple of good pres' game since I can grab a (good) cheap 2 input interface, a couple of GAP73 (or other decent) pres and an FMR RNC for less than the cheapest offering from UA. The Apollo does look cool though, I'll certainly give you that one, my monitor controller is a fair bit bulkier than that. 

 

So you don't think nothing can be done? I have spent hours researching this and I can't find an answer. The PCIE cards out there are compatible with intel and heard they don't work with amd.



 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gofigure715 said:

 

You quoted me twice, the first time I gave you three solutions, two of which allowed you to keep using the interface with your system, the third involved a new interface.

 

Of course I think something can be done, that's why I have you solutions.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, The Flying Sloth said:

You bought a thunderbolt audio interface and are using a platform that does not support thunderbolt...
I really don't understand why you would do that, there are so many great USB options for far cheaper but I guess you just decided you had to spend the money on something that isn't at all compatible. Other people haven't experienced this issue because it's not an issue, they just arent compatible.

There are three ways to solve this problem,
1, Get a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard (many x570 motherboards support TB3)
2, Get a thunderbolt PCI card (not officially compatible but unofficially it works great, your mileage may vary)
3, Buy a USB interface like a normal person

1. “Many x570 motherboards support TB3)

so far I’ve only found 1 which is asrocks phantom gaming itx/tb3. I have this and it just shit out on me. (Mobo issues with WHEA-Logger/Bluetooth drivers)
2. Not a reliable solution. 
3. When you’re in the creative arts industry whether it be music production, film or graphic design, Apple and thunderbolt are the normal persons tools. 
not trying to shit on you but just wanted to provide a balance in opinions. 
Working in the creative field UAD are one of the industry standards/norms and having a product or system that is compatible with both windows and Mac would be very nice. Unfortunately still to this day there are extremely limited options for that utility. You have the asrock mobo or inconsistent adaptability through pcie headers and adapters. 

EDIT: in research of searching for a new board I did find the Asrock X570 aqua. I think they only made 999 according to Linus’ review video

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JacenMagic said:

1. “Many x570 motherboards support TB3)

so far I’ve only found 1 which is asrocks phantom gaming itx/tb3. I have this and it just shit out on me. (Mobo issues with WHEA-Logger/Bluetooth drivers)
2. Not a reliable solution. 
3. When you’re in the creative arts industry whether it be music production, film or graphic design, Apple and thunderbolt are the normal persons tools. 
not trying to shit on you but just wanted to provide a balance in opinions. 
Working in the creative field UAD are one of the industry standards/norms and having a product or system that is compatible with both windows and Mac would be very nice. Unfortunately still to this day there are extremely limited options for that utility. You have the asrock mobo or inconsistent adaptability through pcie headers and adapters. 

EDIT: in research of searching for a new board I did find the Asrock X570 aqua. I think they only made 999 according to Linus’ review video

1, Like I said, it comes down to integrator choice, to quote myself from 3 months ago...

On 5/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Flying Sloth said:

You're right, it's only in a few mobos, that's why I said it was "the first Ryzen platform to allow native support for Thunderbolt." and not "It has Thunderbolt support". 

2, Absolutely a reliable solution and even is it wasn't there are motherboard options available like the Creator, Phantom and Taichi

3, Agree to disagree, especially as far as hobby studio audio gear goes. The most common connection for interfaces is still by far USB with Dante/TB/PCIE all being much more expensive and clearly designed for the top end of town. For sure MAC is more common in creative fields, whether that is because it genuinely is a better product or because of brand image is certainly up for debate but I have absolutely no issues admitting MAC OS handles audio better than windows does, just, the price, restrictive OS and lack of an economical upgrade path.

Now, UA stuff is certainly well made and you won't find me argue against that but their products are absolutely compatible with both MAC and PC, now, would I suggest someone buy UA for a hobby studio? Hell no ! There are far better (and better value) products available in much the same price range. But if they were really going to make use of the DSP and didn't already have an extensive plugin library and had infinite money and I wasn't allowed to suggest better value options I certainly wouldn't oppose using UA interfaces. Their rack gear is stupid good too.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is literally only one brand Thunderbolt Ryzen capable board. They have 2 boards and that’s it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, JacenMagic said:

There is literally only one brand Thunderbolt Ryzen capable board. They have 2 boards and that’s it. 

No, every brand (afaik) is TB3 capable with the PCIE expansion and Asrock has 4 Thunderbolt Mobos as far as I remember, either way, I agree, there should have been higher adoption rates but in the end its up to brands to make that decision and so far only Asrock has enabled it on-board

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×