Is this the sound of coil whine???

Goliath_1911
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
1 minute ago, Goliath_1911 said:

i asked the support of the store where i got it and he said he couldnt tell so i posted here

he told me to RMA it tho, and if am right coil whine isnt included in the warrenty i think , 

should i just RMA it anyway??

You could try, they'll likely just send it back to you or send you another unit that may have the same issue or be in worse shape, depends on what they have in stock usually when you RMA and they replace the unit they send back another RMA'd unit that they repaired, so it will be used and sometimes they can be a little worse cosmetic condition than what you sent in. Plus right now with whats going on most RMA centers are closed, so you'll likely get the RMA accepted and send it out and wait a month or two at least to get the used or same unit back. In my opinion if it doesn't bother you just deal with it. If it does buy a new PSU. I, especially right now wouldn't recommend RMAing it. 

Hi , i know coil whine is generally not much of an issue but recently it started to make a weird sound for a couple of seconds as soon as a load hits it, but then fades out, it is in the video below

Can someone confirm if it is indeed coil whine ??? I can`t tell if it is , help is appreciated!!!

EDIT: forgot to add its a coolermaster masterwatt 650 80+ bronze

Sounds like it to me.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Yes, that is coil whine. Typically not a bad thing, mostly just annoying. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yes, that is coil whine. Typically not a bad thing, mostly just annoying. 

i asked the support of the store where i got it and he said he couldnt tell so i posted here

he told me to RMA it tho, and if am right coil whine isnt included in the warrenty i think , 

You could try, they'll likely just send it back to you or send you another unit that may have the same issue or be in worse shape, depends on what they have in stock usually when you RMA and they replace the unit they send back another RMA'd unit that they repaired, so it will be used and sometimes they can be a little worse cosmetic condition than what you sent in. Plus right now with whats going on most RMA centers are closed, so you'll likely get the RMA accepted and send it out and wait a month or two at least to get the used or same unit back. In my opinion if it doesn't bother you just deal with it. If it does buy a new PSU. I, especially right now wouldn't recommend RMAing it. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

i don`t mind the sound as it`s only there for a like 10 secs, but i was worried if it is something faulty since this rig is new , barely 1 year old , and i just recently installed a new gpu so was afraid of something getting toasted,

Also i was wrong in saying the psu is 1,5 years old , i did get it 1,5 years ago but i installed it when i got all the new rigs parts so basically in use for barely a year

so i guess i will forget about the RMA

i don`t mind the sound as it`s only there for a like 10 secs, but i was worried if it is something faulty since this rig is new , barely 1 year old , and i just recently installed a new gpu so was afraid of something getting toasted,

Also i was wrong in saying the psu is 1,5 years old , i did get it 1,5 years ago but i installed it when i got all the new rigs parts so basically in use for barely a year

so i guess i will forget about the RMA

If you used the PSU with a low power GPU and then get something a bit beefier coil whine can happen. Some people say you can get rid of it by "breaking in" the components. Running some intense stress tests for a few hours or until the coil whine stops. If the coil whine isn't loud or constant I wouldn't worry about it.

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you used the PSU with a low power GPU and then get something a bit beefier coil whine can happen. Some people say you can get rid of it by "breaking in" the components. Running some intense stress tests for a few hours or until the coil whine stops. If the coil whine isn't loud or constant I wouldn't worry about it.

well i did jump from a 1050 ti to a 2070 super (old gpu was in the new rig for like 7 month)

It happens when the power usage increases massively(start a heavy game) , but goes away after like 10 secs

Coil whine is minimal , i couldnt tell if it was whine or something else tho, had me worried for a bit .

Thanks for your help!!!

If the PSU is new, I would just return it under the return policy of the store, and buy a different brand or model. The reality of things is that manufactures tries to avoid coil whine, at least on their non-budget products. But depending on your system configuration and power from the wall. It can happen, and there is no fix, beside trying a different configuration of components with differing circuitry design.

Personally, I hate coil whine. If it is constant, it gets annoying real fast, and if it fluctuates like yours, it sound like a HDD under load and is annoying. But then again, I am all for computers that are ultra quiet operating. Ideally, if possible, one should not know if the system is turned on or off by it's sound, at least at idle. It is a computer not a car engine. But that is just my view.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If the PSU is new, I would just return it under the return policy of the store, and buy a different brand or model. The reality of things is that manufactures tries to avoid coil whine, at least on their non-budget products. But depending on your system configuration and power from the wall. It can happen, and there is no fix, beside trying a different configuration of components with differing circuitry design.

Personally, I hate coil whine. If it is constant, it gets annoying real fast, and if it fluctuates like yours, it sound like a HDD under load and is annoying. But then again, I am all for computers that are ultra quiet operating. Ideally, if possible, one should not know if the system is turned on or off by it's sound, at least at idle. It is a computer not a car engine. But that is just my view.

well it`s been in use for a year, though it is still under warrenty, as said above due to the  covid situation it might take some time for one to get sent back

Also for some reason in my country almost all stores sell AeroCool psus which from what i heard are not that good, and risky, this coolermaster one is the only psu i managed to find that is not Aerocool lol, i might just hang on this one for a while, and import a seasonic psu when i upgrade my cpu (planning to jump from the i5 8400 to 9900k)