Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8GB Raspberry Pi 4 on sale now ($75) plus Raspbian gets a 64 bit update and is now renamed to Raspberry Pi OS

I remember when the Ras Pi 4 was announced, they released an advert that listed an 8GB variant which never showed up.... Until Now.

pi4-8gig-scan3-1.jpg

Raspberry Pi 4 is almost a year old, and it’s been a busy year. We’ve sold nearly 3 million units, shipped a couple of minor board revisions, and reduced the price of the 2GB variant from $45 to $35. On the software side, we’ve done enormous amounts of work to reduce the idle and loaded power consumption of the device, passed OpenGL ES 3.1 conformance, started work on a Vulkan driver, and shipped PXE network boot mode and a prototype of USB mass storage boot mode – all this alongside the usual round of bug fixes, feature additions, and kernel version bumps.

While we launched with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB variants, even at that point we had our eye on the possibility of an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4. We were so enthusiastic about the idea that the non-existent product made its way into both the Beginner’s Guide and the compliance leaflet.

The BCM2711 chip that we use on Raspberry Pi 4 can address up to 16GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM, so the real barrier to our offering a larger-memory variant was the lack of an 8GB LPDDR4 package. These didn’t exist (at least in a form that we could address) in 2019, but happily our partners at Micron stepped up earlier this year with a suitable part. And so, today, we’re delighted to announce the immediate availability of the 8GB Raspberry Pi 4, priced at just $75.

The 8GB model has also undergone a small PCB revision with a new Switching Mode PSU thats located in a different position on the board.

To supply the slightly higher peak currents required by the new memory package, James has shuffled the power supply components on the board, removing a switch-mode power supply from the right-hand side of the board next to the USB 2.0 sockets and adding a new switcher next to the USB-C power connnector. While this was a necessary change, it ended up costing us a three-month slip, as COVID-19 disrupted the supply of inductors from the Far East.

But possibly the biggest news is that Raspbian has been switched over to the Arm64 and renamed to Raspberry Pi OS. They will still offer the Arm32 branch alongside which will also be renamed. The Arm64 build is still in Beta but is available now.

Our default operating system image uses a 32-bit LPAE kernel and a 32-bit userland. This allows multiple processes to share all 8GB of memory, subject to the restriction that no single process can use more than 3GB. For most users this isn’t a serious restriction, particularly since every tab in Chromium gets its own process. Sticking with a 32-bit userland has the benefit that the same image will run on every board from a 2011-era alpha board to today’s shiny new 8GB product.

But power users, who want to be able to map all 8GB into the address space of a single process, need a 64-bit userland. There are plenty of options already out there, including Ubuntu and Gentoo.

Not to be left out, today we’ve released an early beta of our own 64-bit operating system image. This contains the same set of applications and the same desktop environment that you’ll find in our regular 32-bit image, but built against the Debian arm64 port.

Both our 32-bit and 64-bit operating system images have a new name: Raspberry Pi OS. As our community grows, we want to make sure it’s as easy as possible for new users to find our recommended operating system for Raspberry Pi. We think the new name will help more people feel confident in using our computers and our software. An update to the Raspberry Pi Desktop for all our operating system images is also out today, and we’ll have more on that in tomorrow’s blog post.

You can find a link to the new 64-bit image, and some important caveats, in this forum post.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-at-75/

This came out of nowhere. Pretty useful for some Ras Pi power users, for the rest of us, not so much. If you're using a Pi for emulation then the extra memory and Arm64 OS will not help you at all (in fact it could make things worse).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Man I really want to trade in my Pi 3 B

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

https://www.techspot.com/news/85409-8gb-raspberry-pi-4-model-arrives-alongside-new.html

"The BCM2711 chip supports up to 16GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM, but "the real barrier to our offering a larger-memory variant was the lack of an 8GB LPDDR4 package," said Eben Upton, CEO of Raspberry Pi Trading and co-founder of The Raspberry Pi Foundation. "These didn't exist (at least in a form that we could address) in 2019, but happily our partners at Micron stepped up earlier this year with a suitable part.""

"To take full advantage of this extra memory, a 64-bit version of the foundation’s official operating system, Raspbian, has been released in early beta, though it’s now called Raspberry Pi OS. Upton writes that “power users, who want to be able to map all 8GB into the address space of a single process, need a 64-bit userland,” and while there are options such as Ubuntu and Gentoo available, the Raspberry Pi OS is now available as a 64-bit image in addition to the existing 32-bit image."

Currently, the Pi 4 8 GB sells for $75. I wonder if I could just buy an 8 GB LPDDR4 chip and solder it onto an existing Pi 4 though.

The Schnoz

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

RPiOS. Riposte? o_o

now to wait for a newer version that's capable of encoding 4K. that sweet sweet 8GB ram would come in handy

Might actually happen if they can get the GPU driver finished

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

UwU cool! i still have one of the older models with 1gb and it's a mess if you wanna do anything remotely intensive. with one of these if you have issues with your project you could just open chromium and look it up. on the old models you'd run out of ram. 

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB iOS
Laptop: HP EliteBook 9470m | Core i5 3437U | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.10

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

@Schnoz

Thread merged ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

@Ashley xD Thank you for justifying my desire to upgrade! 😁

I have an RPi2.  I would probably get the 4GB RPi4.

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1TB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe (boot)

2TB Crucial MX500 SATA III (games)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

HyperX Stinger wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

1 minute ago, Techstorm970 said:

@Ashley xD Thank you for justifying my desire to upgrade! 😁

I have an RPi2.  I would probably get the 4GB RPi4.

no problem lol

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB iOS
Laptop: HP EliteBook 9470m | Core i5 3437U | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.10

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

Well dang.   I just got a 4gb board.   I also use a couple Pi 3s for Octoprint but those are fine for what I use them for.     

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Huh... 🤔

That means then for those who were happy enough with 2GB or 4GB RAM can now set up a couple of ramdisks. It might be a PITA given how Linux and RPi works, but it will certainly be a lot faster than the overclocked speed of the SD card, and even of the newish USB3 IO.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Moving to Arm64 will be a very good thing for the linux arm community it will help unify the ARM packages and give us much better Arm64 support across the board! 

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

If you're using a Pi for emulation then the extra memory and Arm64 OS will not help you at all (in fact it could make things worse).

Im not sure why you think ARM64 is worse at emulation?

I'd like to see if it improves win10 emulation, especially of they install the os on a ssd rather than the painfully slow sd card. The only youtube videos I've seen were with 1 or 2gb models and it wasnt pretty.

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

Im not sure why you think ARM64 is worse at emulation?

It's not that its worse, its that a lot of the binaries will only be compiled against Arm32 so might not work at all on Arm64.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It's not that its worse, its that a lot of the binaries will only be compiled against Arm32 so might not work at all on Arm64.

For emulation of old console games etc the binaries are not even Arm32, that is why its called emulation.

Why is she crying, is it just that good?2039328915_ScreenCapture_google-chrome_20200528180621.thumb.png.fcd3e131ea165b517c1b2991fb2daf9c.png

Jokes aside, pretty cool. I don't think I'll be upgrading from my 3B+ anytime soon as all I use it for is Steam Link and it still works fine, but cool.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Fiio FH1S

i use arch btw

24 minutes ago, hishnash said:

For emulation of old console games etc the binaries are not even Arm32, that is why its called emulation.

What? OFC the emulator binaries are Arm32.

36 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What? OFC the emulator binaries are Arm32.

the emulators will be recompiled to arm64 within a matter of seconds.  

The games they are running are not Arm32 the emulator is emulating the cpu ISA/and gpu of the game console they were written for.

cool i guess, compute module when?

8 hours ago, hishnash said:

the emulators will be recompiled to arm64 within a matter of seconds.  

The games they are running are not Arm32 the emulator is emulating the cpu ISA/and gpu of the game console they were written for.

Games are not binaries though....

And not necessarily. Arm64 is very young and immature, software has dependencies and if a dependency hasn't been ported yet then the emulator won't be getting ported any time soon either.

Its going to take a fairly long time until Arm64 reaches Arm32 levels of maturity. Actually having a device as popular as the Ras Pi running Arm64 gives devs the push to get more software ported over at a faster speed so its only a good thing.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

games do have binaries, every game has binary code for some instruction set.

Arm64 is very young and immature,

Arm64 cpus have been is mass production since 2013. 

software has dependencies and if a dependency hasn't been ported yet then the emulator won't be getting ported any time soon either.

If you don't have the source code of your dependencies yes, however if you do have the source code re-compiling ARM32 to ARM64 is trivial. It is a lot simpler than going from x86-32 to x86-66.  Both GCC and LLVM are very good at this. 

All of the emulation software on the raspberry pie is open source and in fact the package manager that exist (apt as an example) have the ability to pull source version and compile on demand. So you should be able to just `install` even if you are the first person to do it.. it will take longer since you will be compiling a `lot` of code but once compiled it will just run.

fairly long time until Arm64 reaches Arm32

I would assume on this device recompilation of a full emulation stack will take 5 hours max. Given things like Xorg/OpenGL etc are already Arm64.

note even if you don't have the source code for you depeancies it is possible these days to lift them up to LLVM byte code, re optimise and then compile them back down to a new target, this is a fun area of modern compiler magic that is even used by some companies to patch old (critical banking etc) applications were you have lost the source code!

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The Raspberry Pi's CPU supports AArch32 so that will not be an issue.

11 hours ago, hishnash said:

Well the emulator is still some architecture like AArch32. The games themselves might not be in ARM instructions, but since they go through a translation change they do end up as ARM instructions at some point. I think that's what they meant.

A binary is basically any file that is not a text file. Games are binaries.

And not necessarily. Arm64 is very young and immature, software has dependencies and if a dependency hasn't been ported yet then the emulator won't be getting ported any time soon either.

AARch64 is very mature at this point. It's so mature that Google will soon drop 32 bit support in Android.

You might be right that it will take some time before we see 64 bit support though. But in the meantime, the 64 bit OS will be able to run 32bit applications.

And let's not forget that a lot of the software for the Raspberry Pi is open source. That makes the transition from 32bit to 64bit waaaay easier than on for example Windows.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

they do end up as ARM instructions at some point.

most modern emulators emulate to LLVM bytecode then get tool like lli (part of llvm) to run that. that lets the emulator be agnostic as to the target ISA that it is running on.

RPiOS overview and changes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000