Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fiber Optic Line Getting Chewed.

TheGeekyGuy

For the past 4 years our internet company replaced the fiber optic line to our house 8 times in the last 4 years. The issue is something is chewing the cable, They have put the cabling underground and still got chewed. The issue is we are surrounded by woods/trees. I'm wondering if there is something I can coat the cable in to deter rodents. They have on 3 occasions denied to replace it and offer us service. Sadly they are the only internet company that services our area.

The Fiber Optic cable underground was in a half inch Pvc pipe. 

The best way to handle this is to use corrugated steel pipe for your fiber (atleast for the sections prone to rodents.

You could coat it in some sort of animal deterant but most aren't meant to be permanent/"set it and forget it" solutions. Not to mention they're not fullproof. You're better off putting it in some type of sleeve the animal can't chew through. Something metal, one that can resist the elements.

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

In the Queue:

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

This is gonna sound weird,

But try and get some fox pee. Rodents will smell it, figure there's a predator near by and scurry off

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

You need to use more durable undeground cables, preferably steel coated, or pipes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020