Strange question ¯\_(° ͜ʖ °)_/¯ I notice people walk a good few away from their car and then lock it? Why does everyone do this?

WolfLoverPro

So for example they get out and then keep their finger on the lock button then once they are a few however many steps away from car they press lock? 

Is it so no one.know it’s their car or somethings so they are not like looking at their car while lockingor what 

Habit to make sure everyone's out of the car first, and because you can be finding the right button while walking the first few steps.

Edit: should note that I haven't driven in over 14 years, that's just what I remember.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I don’t do it.

No power locks in my car. :D

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

24 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Habit to make sure everyone's out of the car first

This^^

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

A better question for you; what would be the point of remote locking if you stood next to the car door when you used it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

A better question for you; what would be the point of remote locking if you stood next to the car door when you used it?

Now that's how you utilize your stuff ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I do it often because as I'm first getting out of the car my worry isn't locking but double checking my surroundings

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

So for example they get out and then keep their finger on the lock button then once they are a few however many steps away from car they press lock? 

Is it so no one.know it’s their car or somethings so they are not like looking at their car while lockingor what 

Some cars wont lock until the key is some distance away from the car.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Sets the alarm too, and saves key wear which does become an issues over the years. Got a car and had a new key cut as the original one doesn't reliable operate the drivers door lock any more. The new key gets jammed in the ignition barrel even though it was cut from the original key.

20 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Some cars wont lock until the key is some distance away from the car.

Mine only don't lock if the sensors find the key inside the car. And auto send the lock signal when i'm about 20 feet away.

For me i still manually press the lock button on the door once my wife is out and her door is closed.

5 minutes ago, Franck said:

Mine only don't lock if the sensors find the key inside the car. And auto send the lock signal when i'm about 20 feet away.

For me i still manually press the lock button on the door once my wife is out and her door is closed.

I think that's wise. I mean who knows what can happen if you always let it auto lock and you step around a van parked next to your car and meet a friend that you talk to for a while and your car is still unlocked, right?

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Sets the alarm too, and saves key wear which does become an issues over the years. Got a car and had a new key cut as the original one doesn't reliable operate the drivers door lock any more. The new key gets jammed in the ignition barrel even though it was cut from the original key.

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Now that's how you utilize your stuff ;)

I would probably lock it then check the handle to make sure because then the person who don’t check and thinks it’s locked 🔒 whoops 

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

I think that's wise. I mean who knows what can happen if you always let it auto lock and you step around a van parked next to your car and meet a friend that you talk to for a while and your car is still unlocked, right?

Depend on the car you drive If you leave door unlock someone step in my car and steal it as i don't see it i am responsible as it's called "incitation to criminal behavior" here and not locking your car you can get ticket if you are not in your car and it's not locked.

I guess that the chance of getting your car stolen depends on the car make and model. Personally when i drive my wife civic i doubt the chances to have that happen to me is high compared to my car (a Challenger SRT) an i don't trust people around it plus a very similar situation happen to a buddy of mine from my muscle car group during a car show to raise fund for children hospital. Luckily the site was closed with barrier and the guy and girl that stole the car couldn't get out the parking lot we were in.

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

As opposed to what...? Reaching into the door and pressing the lock button? Or using the key to manually lock the doors?

Frankly on a modern car, using the Fob to lock it is the easiest and fastest way to do it. Even more so if there were passengers. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For me it's a several reasons:

Checking whether I've forgot anything in the car? Phone? Wallet? Sth else?

At the same time I walk away to see whether I've parked it right - and if not - I'll get back and

And finally I just love the blinking of my Subie when I lock it and it's another reason to look at is once more ❤️

2 hours ago, Franck said:

Depend on the car you drive If you leave door unlock someone step in my car and steal it as i don't see it i am responsible as it's called "incitation to criminal behavior" here and not locking your car you can get ticket if you are not in your car and it's not locked.

I guess that the chance of getting your car stolen depends on the car make and model. Personally when i drive my wife civic i doubt the chances to have that happen to me is high compared to my car (a Challenger SRT) an i don't trust people around it plus a very similar situation happen to a buddy of mine from my muscle car group during a car show to raise fund for children hospital. Luckily the site was closed with barrier and the guy and girl that stole the car couldn't get out the parking lot we were in.

Yeah man, it's not just that the car can get stolen but also stuff. A cheeky criminal can clear out a lot of stuff in just a few seconds so yeah best to lock it before you're too far away. I just drive a pos Opel Corsa B atm but I still lock it, always even if I'm just around a corner. I still got things in there that can get nicked pretty fast.

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

This!  God yes, love this answer.

Or it could be that the fucking horn is annoying and I don't want it blaring in my ear so I lock my car when I'm a good 30+ft away.  

Next time lock your car when your mom is walking in front of it.  You'll see.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Benji said:

@Dedayog In what freaking country on this planet is it standard behaviour for a car to use its horn upon locking/unlocking the car? In Germany it is illegal. It is even pre-determined how a car is allowed to signal when it locks/unlocks.

Well, since we have a car with a keyless system since 2015, basically nobody even touches the key unless it is being put in another pocket/purse.

As someone who used to sell cars, there are many brands that honk its horn when the lock button is pressed for the second time. First click locks, second one honks the horn. This is the case with my 2 Honda's, actually all Hondas ive owned in the past 10 years. Seems like certain brands such as BMW, Merc, Lexus etc... dont do this, the lights just flash and makes a much more silent beep sound.

To answer the OP's original question.....Im not sure why this needs to be asked. If you have power locks controlled on your key, are you expecting people to stand at their door, pick up their key stare at it and then push the button to lock the car? 

Haha. Interesting thread.

I'm one of those people who walks away from the car a few feet and then locks it. There are two reasons for this:

1) I have a smart key system in my Lexus LS430. When I get in the car, they key is in my pocket. I just touch the door handle and the car unlocks. Once I get in the car, I just turn the key knob and start the car with the key still in my pocket. Yes, you turn the key knob without a key in it because for some dumb reason Lexus thought that was a good idea instead of a push to start button lol. So when I get out of the car, the key is still in my pocket so usually I have to feel around for it as I walk away to find the button. By that time I'm already several feet away. However, my car does also have a button you can press on the outside door handle to lock it. Sometimes I just use that instead but I don't like how much pressure it requires and it has a weird rubber feeling so I don't use it that much. I usually do that when my pockets are full of things and I don't feel like digging for the key. 

2) I like to look back and admire my car as the horn honks and the lights flash. It's just me being a car nerd lol.

So psycho customers don’t know which one is my car and follow me home.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I leave mine unlocked. 

Still got the stock stereo. Nobody will steal it :(

Nope i got an old fashion key, you know the thing that goesin a keyhole

lives on

BAKABT

I always use the key fob to lock the door; primarily to set the alarm. Thieves will look for anything of value and will not hesitate to make for a smash-n-grab! Once they bust the window out, they have no choice but to unlock the door from the inside. That sets off the alarm.

Best advise is to never keep anything of value to be seen from outside. Better yet, don't store anything there, and keep the entire car free from junk.

It's especially true for daycare centers where women will often leave their purse temporarily in the car as the run into the building with their child. Then you have "scouts" that phone in to another "hawk" that swoops in and takes it from the car. It's sad.

Anyways, for me and others I know, it's primarily a security thing. 

On 5/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

I don’t do it.

No power locks in my car. :D

You’re lucky. Four out of five doors on my car lock. One doesn’t unlock. Literally to break into my car you just open the door. 

for the thread, I don’t really walk a while away from my car to lock. I used to, because my wing mirrors close in when I lock and the lights flash. It’s pretty cool.