Computer isn't happy with XMP

Hello LTT folks,

A while ago I posted a problem that I had with a new build that I had. To cut a long story short, I eventually figured out what was causing the BSOD at start up - the XMP mode in the Bios.

Or at least I think that it is. Turned it off, didn't encounter problems for a good few weeks and only had the problem happen again when I re enabled it. Seems to be the culprit as far as I can tell.

I've checked (after double and triple checking before purchase) the manufacturer website (MSI) for compatibility and everything seems okay - the part number for the Corsair Vengence RGB pro is listed there, and so it is for the processor. There is, however, a few versions of the memory that is on there that is causing a bit of concern but I can't figure out what the version of the RAM that I have in my system is.

Put simply - what is going wrong, what's the best way to test, and how can I fix it to get the full speed of the RAM that I bought?

Thanks in advance

There is a chance that not all the memory timings are set according to profile. Check subtimings and put them manually if needed.

2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

There is a chance that not all the memory timings are set according to profile. Check subtimings and put them manually if needed.

Thank you for the reply - by memory timings do you mean the whole 16-18-18-36 and to but it in by hand rathat than having the XMP do it automatically?

Please excuse my ignorance - Memory isn't a strong point with me, I'm afraid.

I have a friend who has had speed issues with the same model of RAM 🤔

Just now, Katnip said:

Thank you for the reply - by memory timings do you mean the whole 16-18-18-36 and to but it in by hand rathat than having the XMP do it automatically?

Please excuse my ignorance - Memory isn't a strong point with me, I'm afraid.

Yes the whole 16-18 etc. But those are probably loaded correctly, so check that TRFC, TRFC2 and others are set accordingly. In my UEFI I have a page called SPD which displays all the memory timings for stock and both Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP).

Thank you for the reply guys - will have a play around later tonight and report back.