Can my PSU power a GTX 1660 Ti?

SaiyanKurosaki

I'm looking to upgrade my GTX 770 Twin Frozer  to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti SC Ultra Gaming, I saw that it needed an 8 pin connector to the GPU which is fine cos my 770 uses 2 of those, however someone mentioned that it needed a 6 pin connection to the PSU, I only have 4 pin connections on my PSU. Can anyone tell me if that makes a difference, will the card not get enought power? I can't see why it would be an issue given the 770 draws more power but I just wanna be on the safe side.

My PSU is a Cooler Master V550

Your power supply's 8 pin connectors for video cards should be designed to be able to split them into a 6 pin part and a 2 pin part - you simply plug the 6 pin in the video card and leave the other 2 pin part of connector in the air, unused. 

if your psu does not allow you to split a 8 pin connector into 6 +  2, you could get a simple adapter cable for a few dollars.

A gtx770 consumed up to 180 watts... the 1660ti goes up to around 125w so it will definitely work fine with your current psu.

If the 8-pin connectors worked fine on your GTX 770, then it'll work fine on the GTX 1660 Ti.

The 770 uses 2x8, 1660 Ti only uses 1x8. Not sure what that person you said meant by needing a 6 pin connection to the PSU.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your power supply's 8 pin connectors for video cards should be designed to be able to split them into a 6 pin part and a 2 pin part - you simply plug the 6 pin in the video card and leave the other 2 pin part of connector in the air, unused. 

if your psu does not allow you to split a 8 pin connector into 6 +  2, you could get a simple adapter cable for a few dollars.

A gtx770 consumed up to 180 watts... the 1660ti goes up to around 125w so it will definitely work fine with your current psu.

My cables to split, thanks for your help

2 minutes ago, t4ils said:

If the 8-pin connectors worked fine on your GTX 770, then it'll work fine on the GTX 1660 Ti.

The 770 uses 2x8, 1660 Ti only uses 1x8.

Thats what my gut was telling me tbh, it was just a comment I saw about it that sorta threw me off about it