[COMPLETED with TUTORIAL] Ambilight - Atmospheric lighting behind your TV/Monitor

Awwwwwwwww yissssssssssss

Just found a way to control WS2812's, which I can get in a 144 LED per 1 meter string, this will take me from a 200LED system to a 550-570 LED system... Amazing...

Hi, i'm trying to control my WS2812B with a Teensy 2.0. What is the way you found to do it, please ? :)

Thk for the work.

Thank a lot !
Do you have any idea if there is a new version with FastLed new librairie ?

Thank a lot !

Do you have any idea if there is a new version with FastLed new librairie ?

Sorry no I don't. I plan on building a 'PC-less' version when I get the new TV but I haven't had any time to look at it yet. Any updates I have I'll be sure to post in here.

• 2 weeks later...

@d33g33, I've got a question for you mate.  I'm going to be using the WS2801 LED Strips (NOT strings).  I had a question about how to mount the LED to the TV.  I was looking at this guys diagram and it didn't make any sense to me.  Here's the diagram:

hw_installation_scimo11.gif

I understand the LED have arrows and they move in one direction.  I don't get why he's connecting the start point and end points together.  I've seen it done differently where the start point would get connected to the board and the end point would be cut off, so it's like one long strip.  Sort of like this guys video.  Skip to the 1:20 mark to see his setup.  Is there a correct way to do this?

Another thing that threw me off was the top right corner of the diagram.  I don't understand why he drew that?  He states it's for "optional power injection to LED strip"?  I guess it's to supply a separate power source?  Is there an advantage to this?  BTW, your diagram is a little confusing as well, but I know your illustration is for the LED strings.  Maybe if you drew a diagram with an entire square like his it would make sense to me :D  I'm more of a visual persion.  I need to see a bunch of examples.

On a side note, I've been researching this for about a week now.  I'm just gathering all my data and trying to understand everything before I attempt this project.  I read your entire guide and it was very helpful.  I already have the Rpi and some of the parts already lying around at home.  I just need the LED strip and power supply.  I elected to get the 5M strip because it is cheaper and easier to work with versus the LED strings.  Some of the threads I've read suggested getting a 5V/8A or 5V/10A power brick to power everything.  I remember reading somewhere that there's a way to calculate the number of amps needed to power everything.

Thanks for introducting me to the teensy board.  I've never heard of it until I read your guide.  I'm actually going to get one to tinker with.  It may come in handy with my ATV1 running Crystalbuntu 2.0.  It's fully modded.  Have you considered running Hyperion?  I've read that it's running smoother & uses less cpu than Ambibox and Boblight. 

ok quite simply his diagram, and the 'optional' supply as well as my diagram are all pointing out the same thing.

Depending on how man LED's you have over distance you will get vdroop over distance, so the LED's at the start of the string will be brighter to those at the end. Having voltage injecting into different points around the string is to achieve equal brightness around the string.

Your diagram above is for WS2812's obviously you can see the difference but only the 5v and GND is being terminated around the string, the Data string isnt and can't be, really this is what the arrow is for, not so much the power/ground.

In regards to Hyperion, im looking into this myseld. There are 2 versions of the Ambilight I guess, one takes a data feed from an application on the PC, using and Arduino or in my case a Teensy, the 2nd is using a RasPi or similar device and is capturing the video source. The RasPi option is much better because it works with other devices such as PS4, Xbox etc however, its much more complicated. Im looking to build one and I found this great link you should read. It has a iso build with preconfigured Hyperion. LINKY

Sorry this answer is quite rushed, if anything is unclear please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hey d33g3,

Can you make another tutorial or update your tutorial with WS2812B LED with a Teensy 2.0.  Is there any merit for us in getting a Tennsy 3.0? I really want to do this and I have no clue on how to do this. Maybe make the tutorial for dummies, :). You are doing a great job with the project, and I hope that you would be able to help me out.  Also, how much did all of this cost you in the end? 

Plus, can I use WS2811 LED instead of WS2812? 

Hopefully this one is compatible with your software??? 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5M-WS2811-LED-Digital-Strip-60leds-m-with-60pcs-WS2811-Built-in-the-5050-SMD-RGB/2048882498.html

TL;DR = nope

Though we just got our Arduino boards in Programming class :D

Hey d33g3,

Can you make another tutorial or update your tutorial with WS2812B LED with a Teensy 2.0.  Is there any merit for us in getting a Tennsy 3.0? I really want to do this and I have no clue on how to do this. Maybe make the tutorial for dummies, :). You are doing a great job with the project, and I hope that you would be able to help me out.  Also, how much did all of this cost you in the end? 

Plus, can I use WS2811 LED instead of WS2812? 

Hopefully this one is compatible with your software??? 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5M-WS2811-LED-Digital-Strip-60leds-m-with-60pcs-WS2811-Built-in-the-5050-SMD-RGB/2048882498.html

so a WS2812 is basically a combination of the WS2811 controller paired with a 5050 SMD LED, when combined called a WS2812.

the WS2812 is compatible with BobLight, it certainly can be used without issues,however to use with this guide you would have to use the edited library I poster earlier, however this pull data from the FAST SPI library which I havent figured out. Im in the middle of some big moves with selling my house and moving the other side of the country. Im by no means an expert (or even a novice) at this stuff so dont expect any updates soon, however as I improve this I will come back and update this document

so a WS2812 is basically a combination of the WS2811 controller paired with a 5050 SMD LED, when combined called a WS2812.

the WS2812 is compatible with BobLight, it certainly can be used without issues,however to use with this guide you would have to use the edited library I poster earlier, however this pull data from the FAST SPI library which I havent figured out. Im in the middle of some big moves with selling my house and moving the other side of the country. Im by no means an expert (or even a novice) at this stuff so dont expect any updates soon, however as I improve this I will come back and update this document

So in theory, I could use your program for the WS2812 for the WS2811? This will all work with the teensy 2.0 correct, or will I need to use an arduino uno. 

Are you talking about this post on the Fast SPI http://waitingforbigo.com/2013/02/19/fastspi_led2_preview_release/

Thanks man on replying, and safe travels on your moving.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, amazing detailed tutorial :o so cool!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Looks really nice but I think it would be too distracting when watching a movie. Great job nonetheless ;)

As I have a Philips television with ambilight already implemented (8000 series) I can confirm that it really does add to the experience and I really like the extra lighting it provides when the TV is off ( I don't know if you can dok that with this mod tho) anyway nice guide but it really is a ton of work man... For lazy people might as well just buy a Philips television with ambilight.

Interested in Business and Technology

• 1 month later...

lucky u on the front page of imgur

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Surprised this isn't available off the shelf. Soon no doubt if not already.

I love it and I'm either making 1 or buying pre-built.

d33g33, on 27 Dec 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:
So I put this .gif on Imgur yesterday
QuuZP6H.gif

And its since had over 800,000 views and has equaled over 4tb of data from this .gif. amaze-ballz.
Q6lsCVZ.png

Totally blown away right now.

Just seen it on imgur and saw the Linus's tech link so here i am.

If anyone is keen on the HDMI version which can also be used on consoles check out LightBerry. I pretty much have all the stuff that comes with LightBerry so i'll be doing this upgrade soon. :)

As a videophile home theater douchebag, this feature seems entirely pointless to me, since you have a dark bezel there anyways.

BUT with that said, I do commend you on a cool diy arduino/coding build and very interesting thread to read.

There are obviously peple interested in flashy stuff like this or phillips wouldnt have produced models with it, so keep it up man!

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

As a videophile home theater douchebag, this feature seems entirely pointless to me, since you have a dark bezel there anyways.

BUT with that said, I do commend you on a cool diy arduino/coding build and very interesting thread to read.

There are obviously peple interested in flashy stuff like this or phillips wouldnt have produced models with it, so keep it up man!

I find people that haven't seen it in real life and only see pictures have mixed opinions, some like it, some not. In the pictures online and YouTube You kinda look at the whole thing, in real life you focus on the center and get the ambiance effect.

I haven't heard anyone that has seen one of these in real life and spent some time watching it not like it, though i'm sure there will be someone, there's always someone.

hi d33g33, I'm sooo gratefull for your tutorial! You did amaizing project. I have decided to folow your tutorial only without frame becouse i will be using ws2801. in a few days when it arives i will start my (your) project and i will appriciete if you help me. I have downloaded all software you provided but when i start ambibox i dont get different boxes colors...they are all the same color.? (i'm not conected arduino yet) do you have any idea? THX