Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU runs way hotter after installing new graphics card

Go to solution Solved by Tristerin,

Intel Stock Cooler.  New GPU.  GPU putting heat into case, shitty cooler cant compete.  Shitty cooler also now working even harder than ever due to CPU now working hard to produce frames every 1 second

I just installed a new AMD Radeon RX 5600XT paired with my old Core i7-6700 3.4GHz (non-K) and noticed that my CPU now runs way hotter and the system lags/stutters at times. Also while playing games, my CPU is running way hotter than before the GPU upgrade and my PC sounds like a jet engine while gaming because of the CPU fan. Comparison: RDR2 before GPU upgrade-CPU runs at 65C max. | RDR2 after GPU upgrade-CPU runs at 76C max. Don't know if these temperatures will affect the life span of my CPU.

 

I am using the Intel stock cooler and I don't know why this is happening. My main guess would be that my system is bottlenecked but I am still unsure. I have MSI Afterburner in-game overlay turned on and while playing RDR2 for example the GPU utilization is above 95% and the CPU utilization is above 80%. Before the GPU upgrade the CPU utilization in RDR2 was a lot less and the temperature was less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because new GPU pumps out more FPS and CPU works harder to catch up with higher frame rates. Stuttering might have to do with old drivers not properly cleared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Because new GPU pumps out more FPS and CPU works harder to catch up with higher frame rates. Stuttering might have to do with old drivers not properly cleared.

I have used DDU to uninstall my old NVIDIA drivers and installed the latest AMD drivers with the Radeon Adrenaline program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel Stock Cooler.  New GPU.  GPU putting heat into case, shitty cooler cant compete.  Shitty cooler also now working even harder than ever due to CPU now working hard to produce frames every 1 second

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the old GPU? It was likely the old one was slow enough the CPU didn't have so much work to do to keep up. If the new GPU uses more power, that could also lead to increased CPU temps if the heat isn't removed from the case adequately quickly.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@21334 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Desktop Gaming system (to be retired): Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k, Noctua D15, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Asus Strix 1080 Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p144 G-sync

Former Main system (to be retired): Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 3333@2133 4x4GB, GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, Acer RT280k 4k60 FreeSync [link]
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, 512 GB SSD, 165 Hz IPS panel


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, porina said:

What was the old GPU? It was likely the old one was slow enough the CPU didn't have so much work to do to keep up. If the new GPU uses more power, that could also lead to increased CPU temps if the heat isn't removed from the case adequately quickly.

My old GPU was an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB in case you're wondering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bluecew said:

I just installed a new AMD Radeon RX 5600XT paired with my old Core i7-6700 3.4GHz (non-K) and noticed that my CPU now runs way hotter and the system lags/stutters at times. Also while playing games, my CPU is running way hotter than before the GPU upgrade and my PC sounds like a jet engine while gaming because of the CPU fan. Comparison: RDR2 before GPU upgrade-CPU runs at 65C max. | RDR2 after GPU upgrade-CPU runs at 76C max. Don't know if these temperatures will affect the life span of my CPU.

 

I am using the Intel stock cooler and I don't know why this is happening. My main guess would be that my system is bottlenecked but I am still unsure. I have MSI Afterburner in-game overlay turned on and while playing RDR2 for example the GPU utilization is above 95% and the CPU utilization is above 80%. Before the GPU upgrade the CPU utilization in RDR2 was a lot less and the temperature was less.

 

When you upgrade the GPU, programs/applications/games will be able to use the GPU to push more frames/data and that means more information to be processed by the GPU, upgrade your GPU cooler from the stock one for better cooling and/or lower noise output.

 

Recommended Cooler for i7 6700:   https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9LW9TW/deepcool-cpu-cooler-iceblade200m

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Intel Stock Cooler.  New GPU.  GPU putting heat into case, shitty cooler cant compete.  Shitty cooler also now working even harder than ever due to CPU now working hard to produce frames every 1 second

 

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

 

When you upgrade the GPU, programs/applications/games will be able to use the GPU to push more frames/data and that means more information to be processed by the GPU, upgrade your GPU cooler from the stock one for better cooling and/or lower noise output.

 

Recommended Cooler for i7 6700:   https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9LW9TW/deepcool-cpu-cooler-iceblade200m

Yeah so I'm basically still a beginner at building PCs and I have no clue how to install a CPU cooler. My PC was a prebuilt and I have only upgraded simple things like the RAM and GPU. While I was installing my GPU, I somehow managed to break the pins on my USB 3.0 port on my motherboard while doing cable management and now the front case ports no longer work (lol), showing how much of a clumsy beginner I am.

I doubt I'd be able to install a CPU cooler correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bluecew said:

Yeah so I'm basically still a beginner at building PCs and I have no clue how to install a CPU cooler. My PC was a prebuilt and I have only upgraded simple things like the RAM and GPU. While I was installing my GPU, I somehow managed to break the pins on my USB 3.0 port on my motherboard while doing cable management and now the front case ports no longer work (lol), showing how much of a clumsy beginner I am.

I doubt I'd be able to install a CPU cooler correctly.

 

Don't worry, even the most experienced system builders have made plenty of mistakes in the past, although what is important is that you don't let that discourage you, I believe that you can install a CPU cooler right, honestly even for a beginner it's not that difficult.

 

Here's a guide on installing a LGA 1151 CPU cooler, should be pretty much the same on the DeepCool model which I linked previously:

 

 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bluecew said:

 

Yeah so I'm basically still a beginner at building PCs and I have no clue how to install a CPU cooler. My PC was a prebuilt and I have only upgraded simple things like the RAM and GPU. While I was installing my GPU, I somehow managed to break the pins on my USB 3.0 port on my motherboard while doing cable management and now the front case ports no longer work (lol), showing how much of a clumsy beginner I am.

I doubt I'd be able to install a CPU cooler correctly.

As noted above, beginner to experienced we all break stuff lol.  Actually, the ONLY way to get better is to try - plenty of guides around to do that.  If you need a CPU cooler suggestion we would need to know what case you have as tower coolers height have to be taken into account vs case available width

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

As noted above, beginner to experienced we all break stuff lol.  Actually, the ONLY way to get better is to try - plenty of guides around to do that.  If you need a CPU cooler suggestion we would need to know what case you have as tower coolers height have to be taken into account vs case available width

Thanks, I don't really know what coolers are good and which ones are bad. Here's my case:

image.png.f31a117588be5ae2644af36582ae6ebb.png

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bluecew said:

Thanks, I don't really know what coolers are good and which ones are bad. Here's my case:

image.png.f31a117588be5ae2644af36582ae6ebb.png

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03

157mm of clearance for an aftermarker cooler.

 

I suggest opening up a new thread in the Air Cooling subforum and mention the case, what changes you were made and seek suggestion on air coolers (I personally liquid cool almost everything so I may suggest things that work, but may not be the best in terms of whats new on the market etc.

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

157mm of clearance for an aftermarker cooler.

 

I suggest opening up a new thread in the Air Cooling subforum and mention the case, what changes you were made and seek suggestion on air coolers (I personally liquid cool almost everything so I may suggest things that work, but may not be the best in terms of whats new on the market etc.

Alright, will do, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluecew said:

My old GPU was an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB in case you're wondering.

1060 3GB is nominally a 120W device, compared to 150W of the 5600XT. I'm not sure if they're comparing like with like, as generally speaking nvidia tend to report total board power, and AMD report GPU power. So you have a combination of the 5600XT both potentially putting out more heat, as well as running more frames so the CPU has more work to do to keep up.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@21334 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Desktop Gaming system (to be retired): Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k, Noctua D15, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Asus Strix 1080 Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p144 G-sync

Former Main system (to be retired): Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 3333@2133 4x4GB, GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, Acer RT280k 4k60 FreeSync [link]
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, 512 GB SSD, 165 Hz IPS panel


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×