Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First PC Build

Go to solution Solved by Charlie Groves,
15 minutes ago, chrimeth said:

Some questions/things I was thinking about:

Are the 3 extra fans overkill? I heard that the Cooler Master case doesn't have the best airflow and the 3300X can get hot but I don't know how much I will need to keep temperatures down. (If I would only use the 1 Fan that comes with the case I would save 50 Euros -> the 3 fans plus fan hub)

Does the SSD make sense from a price perspective? I thought of using it to store windows and maybe other stuff for a faster boot and such but maybe that's not worth it?

I am not an expert

But IMO, an SSD is a must in any new system. As someone corrected me on in a previous post, try to go for a 240GB one instead of a 120GB as they will throw up less issues in terms of size and (in the UK at least) are only £5 more (5 Euro cos our currency has tanked thnx to boris).

3 fans may not be necessary now but it may make your computer quieter as the individual fans spin at a slower speed as of course will help your devices to have a longer lifespan. If you have the extra cash then go for it as you will thank yourself for upgrade ability in the future (higher end stuff = hotter normally).

Budget (including currency): ca. 450-550 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Web browsing, Light 3D Work, Digital Art, Programming, Light Music Prodcution.

Other details:

Im going for 1 monitor 1080p60hz. I play all kinds of games but here are some examples of what I play or want to play with this system: Modded TES Games, Witcher Games, Assassins Creed, Shadow of Mordor/War, Minecraft, Battlefront 2 (EA), CSGO, Dishonored, ...

I should have Retail Windows so I won't be needing an OS. I also already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and a WLAN adapter.

I am upgrading because my current PC was not a very good choice (prebuild with AMD A10-7800, very cheap Mobo, bad cooling, etc). It was bad when I bought it around 4-5 years ago, and it's even worse now.

I later got a GTX960 as an upgrade but the CPU has always bottle necked it and more recent games that need even more CPU power are unplayable. (Graphic settings don't change FPS for me it's only the CPU that causes this).

Now for the actual build:

Two components I won't be changing unless you give me a very good reason. These Are:

Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB OC edition (GV-N960IXOC-4GD)    -> The card mentioned. I don't care if I can't play new games on Ultra as long as I can run most of them/my listed games fine on medium. I might upgrade this card in a year or so.

Thermaltake Hamburg 530W 80Plus Bronze                          -> The PSU I got to support the 960 (This one I am more willing to exchange since it is almost around 4 years old; hasn't been on full load though)

This is what I plan on getting:

Capture.PNG.f1f89d9a19aed756846d4ff463155f56.PNG

Also getting a Thermaltake Commander (PWM fan hub) -> ca 20 Euros

Since this is my first build please feel free to critique any part of it and point out compatibility issues.

Are the 3 extra fans overkill? I heard that the Cooler Master case doesn't have the best airflow and the 3300X can get hot but I don't know how much I will need to keep temperatures down. (If I would only use the 1 Fan that comes with the case I would save 50 Euros -> the 3 fans plus fan hub)

Does the SSD make sense from a price perspective? I thought of using it to store windows and maybe other stuff for a faster boot and such but maybe that's not worth it?

Also could I overclock using this Mobo? I don't really plan on doing it but considering I could overclock both CPU and GPU in addition to all those fans maybe I could give it a try in the future?

If I forgot anything important please ask. Thank you for reading :)

cut

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/n4GGzN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€136.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€61.80 @ Alza) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€68.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU750 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€68.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€44.98 @ Alternate) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€44.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (€4.59 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €439.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-27 13:11 CEST+0200

Your budget did include the PSU or GPU or was 550€ for these parts only?

Some things might be cheaper where you are already looking, like the CPU.

120GB ssd is really abysmal at this point, and the cost for higher capacity isn't that much. The one I've selected is just an example to give you and idea, but has a good balance of capacity performance and price. The mobo I selected is cheap but so was in your exampe so I guess you aren't looking for some particular feature. If you want more USB3 support etc you need to step up in price quite a bit.

About the PSU, if it's in good conditions it's not necessary to change it. They usually last a very long time.

For the GPU I'm not really sure but if you're ok with it right now then there's no problem in keeping it and checking back later.

Not sure about the fan controller. I'd get a cheaper fan splitter directly without too much control over it as it's not really needed, plus get cheap fans. If you aren't going for the look, it's pretty much "all of the same" with a different brand printed on them.

I dont see any compatibility issues here.

I can reccomend to try and get the Phanteks P300A airflow (around 50 €) as a case and just buy 2 more Arctic P12 PWM PST (5-7 € each) or Arctic P14 PWM PST fans for the front. The fans are cheaper and the case is much better. Also with the "PST" Fans from Arctic you dont need any fan hubs as you can just plug 2 into 1 header on the mobo. When you have 2 fans in front and the one that Comes with the case in the back you should have enough ariflow and great temps.

Overclocking should work just fine with this mobo.

I would NEVER miss out on an SSD at least as a boot drive. It makes the complete System feel much more snappy and responsive.

Also make shure u have a good enough power supply if you plan to add in a GPU later on.

I'd say minimum 500W 80+ Bronze.

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 11 preview - Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

I am not an expert

But IMO, an SSD is a must in any new system. As someone corrected me on in a previous post, try to go for a 240GB one instead of a 120GB as they will throw up less issues in terms of size and (in the UK at least) are only £5 more (5 Euro cos our currency has tanked thnx to boris).

3 fans may not be necessary now but it may make your computer quieter as the individual fans spin at a slower speed as of course will help your devices to have a longer lifespan. If you have the extra cash then go for it as you will thank yourself for upgrade ability in the future (higher end stuff = hotter normally).

CPU: i7 6700

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

Storage: 2TB Crucial SATA SSD + 2TB WD BLUE

12 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/n4GGzN

Your budget did include the PSU or GPU or was 550€ for these parts only?

120GB ssd is really abysmal at this point, and the cost for higher capacity isn't that much. The one I've selected is just an example to give you and idea, but has a good balance of capacity performance and price. The mobo I selected is cheap but so was in your exampe so I guess you aren't looking for some particular feature. If you want more USB3 support etc you need to step up in price quite a bit.

Not sure about the fan controller. I'd get a cheaper fan splitter directly without too much control over it as it's not really needed, plus get cheap fans. If you aren't going for the look, it's pretty much "all of the same" with a different brand printed on them.

Thank you for the list. The budget is not including PSU and GPU. You're right getting a bigger SSD makes sense if its just for a bit more and no I wasn't looking for anything in the mobo as long as it doesn't bottleneck anything else.^^ I'll also look into the fans a bit more. Thanks for the reply :D

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I dont see any compatibility issues here.

I can reccomend to try and get the Phanteks P300A airflow (around 50 €) as a case and just buy 2 more Arctic P12 PWM PST (5-7 € each) or Arctic P14 PWM PST fans for the front. The fans are cheaper and the case is much better. Also with the "PST" Fans from Arctic you dont need any fan hubs as you can just plug 2 into 1 header on the mobo. When you have 2 fans in front and the one that Comes with the case in the back you should have enough ariflow and great temps.

Overclocking should work just fine with this mobo.

I would NEVER miss out on an SSD at least as a boot drive. It makes the complete System feel much more snappy and responsive.

Also make shure u have a good enough power supply if you plan to add in a GPU later on.

I'd say minimum 500W 80+ Bronze.

Thank you for the Reply. The Case looks like a good Idea I'll take a closer look at that :]

16 minutes ago, Charlie Groves said:

I am not an expert

Yes makes sense with the ssd thank you :D

13 minutes ago, chrimeth said:

Thank you for the list. The budget is not including PSU and GPU. You're right getting a bigger SSD makes sense if its just for a bit more and no I wasn't looking for anything in the mobo as long as it doesn't bottleneck anything else.^^ I'll also look into the fans a bit more. Thanks for the reply :D

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Fqgwf9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€174.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€104.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€68.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU750 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€68.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€60.60 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  (€54.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €547.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-27 13:47 CEST+0200

Updated the list to fit in the 550€ max budget then. This will get you a much better overall experience and the mobo+cpu are a tier up on the list. I've increased the HDD capacity to 3TB in case you'd need it otherwise you can either save some money or move to an 1TB SSD directly and forbid the hard disk entirely which is actually a good move IMO. I also changed the case to something that was reviewed much better for airflow and general by GN since I've read you kinda like it as well. It's a good case.