Cant get 5.1 audio from sound cardm via optical, configure option is greyed out

BobDeclor

Running windows 10 and I have a xonar se sound card plugged in. I have it outputting audio via optical to my 5.1 set up.

When I go to properties and supported formats and have it test the DTS audio and Dolby digital, i do get 5.1 surround sound.

But when I go to advanced I only have 2 channel options. Also when I go intro control panel and select the spdif out "configure" is greyed out.

I know the 5.1 works, I just cant select it. And I do have it updated to the latest drivers

Check to see if asus has a control panel or software specifically for the card or audio cards. I own a Sound Blaster ZXR and they have a special control panel just for the card. From there I'm able to adjust all the settings there. And note some applications in windows will only output 2 channel like windows media player. 

4 minutes ago, Dub7030 said:

Check to see if asus has a control panel or software specifically for the card or audio cards. I own a Sound Blaster ZXR and they have a special control panel just for the card. From there I'm able to adjust all the settings there. And note some applications in windows will only output 2 channel like windows media player. 

Thanks, I checked that and unfortunately it only shows 2 speakers with no options to select 5.1

Another thing to check out is the recording in the windows audio panel. The zxr has a device called What U Hear and I've been able to change the setting to six channels which actually controls the channels for my system. Weird huh

17 minutes ago, Dub7030 said:

20200526_155434.jpg

thanks, i checked that out but every mic i have only has either 1 or 2 ouput channel options

Well crap, ill do some research and see if i can come up with anything. Ill get back to ya if i find anything.

ill keep looking to see if i cant find anything else

9 minutes ago, Dub7030 said:

I found this website and it seems to be that the asus drivers for those particular cards are buggy but they have a possible solution https://www.infopackets.com/news/10456/how-fix-asus-xonar-wont-play-51-surround-sound-win10

thanks, i checked this out but my sound card is not listed in the drop down box when installing the new drivers.

Well i found out the xonar se doesn't support DTS connect or DDlive, the only way to get actual surround sound from that card is if the audio itself is a encoded soundtrack, which sadly is most applications are not. You may be able to try some games that are encoded.

Dumb question, but have you tested an actual DTS or dobly stream of audio like a pre-encoded movie? If the test is working, then that kind of stream should automatically start working as well.