Intel NUC6i3SYH as a server!

Heya guys!

So I have an Intel NUC6i3SYH with:

CPU: i3-6100U

RAM: 4GB

SSD: 120GB SSD

SO: Windows 10

I would like to make this mini pc as a server for websites, file storage with owncloud and a server for minecraft bedrock edition.

I'm literally noob what comes about server stuff, can you guys help me with this? I've been dreaming doing this for so long but been trying and not being able to do it.

Btw I'll be upgrading the RAM to 32Gb and the SSD for a 1TB NVME.

Thanks for your help and time!

Stay safe!  

Gonna have a bad time running a minecraft server on a Skylake laptop i3.

I'd put Ubuntu Server on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I done it with 8th gen i3 nuc and worked great :)

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'd put Ubuntu Server on it.

The minecraft server runs great! It's the only thing I've been able to put running. 

Now the rest is getting kinda hard for me.
So you're saying if I change my OS to Ubunto Server, I'll be able to do all I want?

23 minutes ago, prosy said:

The minecraft server runs great! It's the only thing I've been able to put running. 

Now the rest is getting kinda hard for me.
So you're saying if I change my OS to Ubunto Server, I'll be able to do all I want?

If you already have an OS installed, why change it? I thought you didn't have any OS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Win-10 is hardly considered a server OS 🙄

Linux is a much more stable OS and Ubuntu works fine but there's more choice there: Mint, Debian and dare I say it, Fedora, Mandriva and OpenSUSE are also suitable platforms to build your server on. Install the lxd/lxc packages to get usable VM containers. Webserver: Apache2 or a more lightweight option, Owncloud from the repositories and you're pretty much set.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

12 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've run a minecraft server for a few friends on a 3rd gen i3 NUC and it never skipped a beat ;)   unless you want 20+ people on a single server, you don't really need a ton of power.

12 hours ago, prosy said:

I would like to make this mini pc as a server for websites, file storage with owncloud and a server for minecraft bedrock edition.

I'm literally noob what comes about server stuff, can you guys help me with this? I've been dreaming doing this for so long but been trying and not being able to do it.

Btw I'll be upgrading the RAM to 32Gb and the SSD for a 1TB NVME.

Thanks for your help and time!

Stay safe!  

While you could technically run all those different roles on this single instance of Windows 10, it's generally accepted in the server space

to delegate tasks to either separate VMs or containers.

However, since you're not super savvy in terms of servers, I'd stick to your existing Windows 10 for now and see if you can get your wish list

fulfilled this way.

A webserver for a website should be easy. You can either use IIS (in Windows) or install WAMP, which is the LAMP stack for Windows.

That gets you Apache, MySQL and PHPmyAdmin.

A few caveats:

- If you want a public facing website, you need to get a domain (i.e. myserver.com) and create an A-record pointing to your WAN IP.
  then forward ports 443 and 80 to your NUC's internal LAN IP. Lookup security best practices to prevent your server from being compromised.

- You need to get an SSL\TLS certificate, which needs to be bound to the domain you bought, this needs to be installed on the webserver.

Let's Encrypt is a free solution that works well. It needs to be able to reach your webserver from the internet through your domain to

work and issue/renew your certificate. Without a certificate, your website won't work properly on Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc. since certificates are now mandatory.

Storage is easy enough. Not sure if owncloud has Windows support, though. Whatever you do, never port forward 445 for SMB. SMB over the internet is a big security nono. Use a VPN instead (not a VPN like NordVPN, but more like OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSEC, SSTP).  

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro