Computer turns on, off, then back on

Optane^

Hi there, my PC will turn on, off in like half a second. then back on like nothing happened.

I have a 5ghz OC. And motherboard lighting turned off when computer is powered down.

Any ideas? 

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Does it happen without the overclock?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Does it happen without the overclock?

Just tried it, yes. Only with OC... Wonder what's wrong. It's stable @ 1.35

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Just tried it, yes. Only with OC... Wonder what's wrong. It's stable @ 1.35

Have you checked that it actually reaches the target frequency and voltage? It's possible the motherboard is resetting the overclock because it can't post with it...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Have you checked that it actually reaches the target frequency and voltage? It's possible the motherboard is resetting the overclock because it can't post with it...

Yes, it did it just now and the OC is on. 

image.png.a33c099deabad0c8af97b60cc3f195f5.png

-

3 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Yes, it did it just now and the OC is on.

Then I'm not sure, it could be a quirk of your specific motherboard. I wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't cause performance or stability issues.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Then I'm not sure, it could be a quirk of your specific motherboard. I wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't cause performance or stability issues.

So I was curious. I ran a cinebench test and saw that my CPU at 100% load, was stuck around 4.7Ghz. As i'm typing now, it's hovering around 4.7-5.0.

I'm confused lol.

image.png.3e2b340efa76cd0c8201e710dee97b07.png

-

So I was curious. I ran a cinebench test and saw that my CPU at 100% load, was stuck around 4.7Ghz. As i'm typing now, it's hovering around 4.7-5.0.

I'm confused lol.

I would say I was right the first time - if not for the fact that your CPU is boosting 100MHz higher than it should at stock. Maybe it's the motherboard giving you a better boost automatically if you have the power and cooling for it...? Anyway check if lower overclocks don't cause an instant reboot and can maintain the speed you set.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would say I was right the first time - if not for the fact that your CPU is boosting 100MHz higher than it should at stock. Maybe it's the motherboard giving you a better boost automatically if you have the power and cooling for it...? Anyway check if lower overclocks don't cause an instant reboot and can maintain the speed you set.

I'm just confused as the PC will hit 5Ghz during web browsing but not under load..

-

Just now, Optane^ said:

I'm just confused as the PC will hit 5Ghz during web browsing but not under load..

That's just the way turbo boost works - the maximum speed can only be reached by one core at a time to stay within the advertised TDP. Usually when you manually set the multiplier that behavior is turned off and the cpu will just go as high as you ask with all cores - unless for some reason that's not the case for your motherboard.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's just the way turbo boost works - the maximum speed can only be reached by one core at a time to stay within the advertised TDP. Usually when you manually set the multiplier that behavior is turned off and the cpu will just go as high as you ask with all cores - unless for some reason that's not the case for your motherboard.

Interesting. That first test was done with R20. I ran R15 for S&G and it did run at 5ghz, most of the test. 

I found another thread with other people with this same issue, noting it's normal. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/927877-pc-switches-on-off-then-back-on-after-overclocking/

-

Interesting. That first test was done with R20. I ran R15 for S&G and it did run at 5ghz, most of the test. 

I'm guessing R15, being older and not optimized for modern chips, doesn't make full use of the CPU.

6 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

I found another thread with other people with this same issue, noting it's normal. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/927877-pc-switches-on-off-then-back-on-after-overclocking/

It's not "normal" but as I said it could very well be a quirk of some motherboards.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I'm guessing R15, being older and not optimized for modern chips, doesn't make full use of the CPU.

It's not "normal" but as I said it could very well be a quirk of some motherboards.

I appreciate your time. Thank you.

-