Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

350w with intel pentium 2,80ghz and gtx970?

Kanna
 Share

Okay just a making a free bottleneck build for fun and wondering 350w is enough for a slow af intel pentium 2.83ghz dual core and a gtx 970? Can give more specs if needed

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, boggy77 said:

what is a free bottleneck build?

Just my way of saying parts i got for free and just adding them together

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 970 should draw about 170 watts, the pentium should consume around 70W, leaving you with 110W for the rest of the system.

 

But that is not the whole story. You have to check the 12V rail on the PSU and see how much power can be delivered there.

To be on the safe side you would need 28A on the 12V rail for a GTX 970 and a 500W power supply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

A 970 should draw about 170 watts, the pentium should consume around 70W, leaving you with 110W for the rest of the system.

 

But that is not the whole story. You have to check the 12V rail on the PSU and see how much power can be delivered there.

To be on the safe side you would need 28A on the 12V rail for a GTX 970 and a 500W power supply.

So for it to be safe to use i would have to get a 500w psu?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Kanna said:

So for it to be safe to use i would have to get a 500w psu?

Without doing any other research and calculations, yes.

If you are willing to curch the numbers by yourself, you might be able to go with a smaller wattage, but that depends on how much Amps it can deliver on the 12V rail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Without doing any other research and calculations, yes.

If you are willing to curch the numbers by yourself, you might be able to go with a smaller wattage, but that depends on how much Amps it can deliver on the 12V rail.

How can i check if i can’t run on the 350w psu then i will use some old gpu and use the pc for streaming instead of extreme bottleneck

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottlenecking usually refers to one part of the system being significantly slower than another for a certain task, where both are needed. So if you are gaming and your CPU could potentially provide data for 200 FPS, but your GPU can only deliver 60, your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU.

 

If your PSU is the bottleneck the PC, as in it can't deliver enough power for your system, your PC will either shut down, or your PSU will light on fire : D
I don't know, what you want to say with extreme bottlenecking ._.

 

Well you could go through the power requirements for each of the devices on the PC, as well as the VRM losses, to calculate how much amps you are going to draw on each rail, and see if that is in spec with your PSU. But that will pretty difficult, because it is usually pretty hard to find those numbers... 

If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. That GPU is still pretty capable (I actually bough a used GPU recently and saw gtx 970 upwards of 120€, don't know if anyone actually bought them at that price though)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Bottlenecking usually refers to one part of the system being significantly slower than another for a certain task, where both are needed. So if you are gaming and your CPU could potentially provide data for 200 FPS, but your GPU can only deliver 60, your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU.

 

If your PSU is the bottleneck the PC, as in it can't deliver enough power for your system, your PC will either shut down, or your PSU will light on fire : D
I don't know, what you want to say with extreme bottlenecking ._.

 

Well you could go through the power requirements for each of the devices on the PC, as well as the VRM losses, to calculate how much amps you are going to draw on each rail, and see if that is in spec with your PSU. But that will pretty difficult, because it is usually pretty hard to find those numbers... 

If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. That GPU is still pretty capable (I actually bough a used GPU recently and saw gtx 970 upwards of 120€, don't know if anyone actually bought them at that price though)

Is the cpu that good? Also didn’t think the be quiet 350w psu was that bad anything that can be provided?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Amps for each rail are printed onto the PSU.

The CPU as well as the GPU use the 12 volt rail.

So to get to the amps you need for the CPU, you divide the power draw (wattage) by the voltage your CPU is running at and then you need to account for the VRM, which converts the 12V ingoing to something like 1.2V for the CPU.

 

And you have to go through each component like that. You need to figure out if your fans are running on 12V or 5V, see how much amps they draw and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, adm0n said:

The Amps for each rail are printed onto the PSU.

The CPU as well as the GPU use the 12 volt rail.

So to get to the amps you need for the CPU, you divide the power draw (wattage) by the voltage your CPU is running at and then you need to account for the VRM, which converts the 12V ingoing to something like 1.2V for the CPU.

 

And you have to go through each component like that. You need to figure out if your fans are running on 12V or 5V, see how much amps they draw and so on.

Only kind of fan i have is a intel stock cooler and no side panel when on, i can provide image of psu text

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not gonna do this for you. If you really want your PC to run with that PSU, you'll have to do the calculations on your own.

Sorry :c

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I'm not gonna do this for you. If you really want your PC to run with that PSU, you'll have to do the calculations on your own.

Sorry :c

Will post another one for more help thanks for your help :D 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probaly not only cooler i use is the intel stock cpu cooler and i use one sata drive and cd drive and 8gb ram ddr2, not overclocked

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The title says it all if any images or more specifications are needed just ask

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why in the world would you pair a Pentium 4 2.80GHz with a 970? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

 

 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Single core Pentium 4? You're not looking at terribly high power draw there. The 970 can be anywhere from 150 to 200 watts, depending on what model you get (some have an 8 pin, some have 8+6) speaking of which, the PSU in question hopefully has PCIe connectors, you do not want to run a card like a 970 with a molex or SATA adapter.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Why in the world would you pair a Pentium 4 2.80GHz with a 970? 

just for fun got some free parts i know bottleneck would be real but just not that hard

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Kanna said:

just for fun got some free parts i know bottleneck would be real but just not that hard

Yeah, that's not my idea of fun...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

 

 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Single core Pentium 4? You're not looking at terribly high power draw there. The 970 can be anywhere from 150 to 200 watts, depending on what model you get (some have an 8 pin, some have 8+6) speaking of which, the PSU in question hopefully has PCIe connectors, you do not want to run a card like a 970 with a molex or SATA adapter.

it is a dual core pentium 64bit and its a be quiet psu so it should have PCIe connectors im sure

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

it is a dual core pentium 64bit and its a be quiet psu so it should have PCIe connectors im sure

Which Pentium model is it? The variety is pretty wide in that era

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Single core Pentium 4? You're not looking at terribly high power draw there. The 970 can be anywhere from 150 to 200 watts, depending on what model you get (some have an 8 pin, some have 8+6) speaking of which, the PSU in question hopefully has PCIe connectors, you do not want to run a card like a 970 with a molex or SATA adapter.

^^^ Yeah, make sure and use the proper connectors. Should be possible wattage wise though, I ran an i5 2400 and a 980 Ti off just a 450W PSU. 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig - i7 6950X @4.2GHz w/Watercool Heatkiller IV Block - EVGA X99 Classified w/Intel AX200 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia 2060 Super FE w/Corsair XG7 Block - 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB WD Blue SATA M.2 + 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda in RAID1 - LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Drive - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D Air - 360mm Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS rad + EKWB D5 pump/res and ZMT tubing - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 3 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000 - LG 27UK650-W - Corsair K55 - Logitech G502 - AKG K371BT - Windows 10 Pro

 

Daily Devices:

MacBook Pro 15,4 - i7 4980HQ - 16GB DDR3L - Iris Pro/Radeon R9 M370X 2GB - 1TB SSD - macOS 11 Big Sur {work}  

iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB - iOS 15 Beta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Which Pentium model is it? The variety is pretty wide in that era

It's a Intel Pentium E5300 and it was 2.60ghz  *i just started ww2 with this old stuff*

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Kanna said:

It's a Intel Pentium E5300 and it was 2.60ghz  *i just started ww2 with this old stuff*

Definitely looking at well under 100 with that CPU, so you're in the power budget as long as everything connects properly.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Definitely looking at well under 100 with that CPU, so you're in the power budget as long as everything connects properly.

so i would be fine with the 970 and the pentium? also i use a hdd and an cpu fan ofc (side note this is a old build that was donated i'm not this cheap on stuff)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×