F@H Web Client Dark Skin with PPD comparison by GPU / WU

Go to solution Solved by LAR_Systems,

HI everyone,  Quick update. 

There was some server updates today to deal with server resource issues so sorry if you  were impacted by some strangeness like WU averages etc. being a little strange while this occurred.

In addition to the cleanup you will now find that for GPU projects the Atoms and Cause is reported on the slots.

Atoms and Cause coming to CPU slots soon.

image.png.96a2a24471ee3392c37e18b8310adc99.png

The PPD indicator has been updated so there is a +/- 10% tolerance for the red or green indicators coming on for when you GPU slot is operating within this "Average" range making it a more useful indication as to when PPD is out of the ordinary.

Project pages on the database site have been updated to show the Atoms, Core and project branch status of projects.

image.png.d3fcd4c830ec61537d13dc93b7450eae.png

And CPU based project pages (link found in the CPU slots in the web client) now contain the BETA charts for PPD-PLC (PPD per logical processor) as that system builds data and is under review.

image.thumb.png.03ed6ca321e14602de92ef37145c6c2c.png

These client based updates will trickle in to the wild over the next couple hours and take effect with a refresh of the page when they do.

Any reason why so many AMD cards are lumped together as one while every single Nvidia card with only the slightest difference get its own?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Any reason why so many AMD cards are lumped together as one while every single Nvidia card with only the slightest difference get its own?

My guess is it is F@H being Lazy as the driver is 100% specific but they dont want to seperate

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

@cbigfoot is correct.  It’s how F@H groups them on the gpu list.  So if they don’t separate them unfortunately there is no way for me to do it in the client.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Capture.PNG.b09623da04a908b51eb7304274568889.PNG

My 1070 is ranked "0 of 119 GPUs" and the slot performance is based on an average of 0 work units. Any ideas on how I might be bale to fix this?

4 hours ago, Chord said:

Capture.PNG.b09623da04a908b51eb7304274568889.PNG

My 1070 is ranked "0 of 119 GPUs" and the slot performance is based on an average of 0 work units. Any ideas on how I might be bale to fix this?

Hi Cord,

Can you look at the bottom of your window and let me know what version of F@H it says you're running.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Hi, I'm getting this when using chrome beta as well as regular chrome and Edge. It works fine when not using the extension. Any ideas as to what could be the cause?

lttfold.png

lttfold2.png

9 hours ago, Sumgaivg said:

Hi, I'm getting this when using chrome beta as well as regular chrome and Edge. It works fine when not using the extension. Any ideas as to what could be the cause?

lttfold.png

lttfold2.png

Looking at the power slider you have it set to light, so it's paused and not running cause your using the computer, it's "waiting for idle" to do stuff while you're not there.

The update system, chart logging, PPD performance etc. only happens when you're folding (status is running), try putting the power slider to medium or full to have it run while you're looking at the window.

Edit:  It also looks like a mobile GPU, so I assume a laptop, it might not fold on battery, so this might happen if you're not plugged in.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I've already run through a full project, this is all that I've seen since I installed it, no charts or points per day etc. just those dashes. I usually pause  when I'm not at home or able to monitor due to temps on drives getting out of hand(known issue with my particular model)

Yes I am using  a laptop but I'm not running on battery.

5 minutes ago, Sumgaivg said:

Sorry, should have been more clear. I've already run through a full project, this is all that I've seen since I installed it, no charts or points per day etc. just those dashes. I usually pause  when I'm not at home or able to monitor due to temps on drives getting out of hand(known issue with my particular model)

Yes I am using  a laptop but I'm not running on battery.

Could you please provide a screen shot of it in the running state, there are some labels etc. that change when it's running that can help me diagnose where a problem may lie that I can't see when it's waiting.

Ideally set it to full, wait a minute for it to do all the calls it's going to do then screen shot that.

Thanks,

As requested,I let it run for about 4 min on full then took the screen shot.

lttfold4min.png

Thanks, looks like your GPU is not getting added.

I have made a change on my side for what I'm guessing the issue is.

Please clear your browser cache and try reloading the window. 

Please let me know when you have done this so can check the database to see if your GPU has been added.

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

Thanks, looks like your GPU is not getting added.

I have made a change on my side for what I'm guessing the issue is.

Please clear your browser cache and try reloading the window. 

Please let me know when you have done this so can check the database to see if your GPU has been added.

Not seeing a change, did everything waited a few minutes and also tried the same in Edge.

lttfold5.png

23 minutes ago, Sumgaivg said:

Not seeing a change, did everything waited a few minutes and also tried the same in Edge.

lttfold5.png

Please try again now, cache clear, refresh... I have cleared the global cache on the content delivery network in the event something is stuck between my server and your browser.

Thanks in advance, know this is a pain, but it helps a lot to work out these issues when they only show for some users.

20 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Please try again now, cache clear, refresh... I have cleared the global cache on the content delivery network in the event something is stuck between my server and your browser.

Thanks in advance, know this is a pain, but it helps a lot to work out these issues when they only show for some users.

Done, but no change. Happy to help.

2 hours ago, Sumgaivg said:

A few more changes has been made to try and identify your issue.

I have pushed them to the build if you would like to try and clear cache and reload again to see if anything changes.

If this does not resolve it, I will have to try another approach, but it will need to trickle out across the network, so it could take a couple days before we can retry.

Please let me know what you see.

3 hours ago, Sumgaivg said:

I also just checked the server logs for the past 2 days... your GPU has not been passed to the log aside from my testing.  This suggests that something on your system could be blocking the API calls.   Please check if you have a firewall / firewall rule that could be blocking stuff.

2 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

I also just checked the server logs for the past 2 days... your GPU has not been passed to the log aside from my testing.  This suggests that something on your system could be blocking the API calls.   Please check if you have a firewall / firewall rule that could be blocking stuff.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the firewall besides browsers and fahclient? Those have full access.

Did everything mentioned but no change.

I did notice that a GTX 1060 mobile is now showing up in the GPU PPD database.

2 hours ago, NetoriusNick said:

Am I being really dense I'm struggling to find a table on @LAR_Systems DB that can be ordered by cost per 1M

image.thumb.png.74131d7794a60bef238ed27b3daf851c.png

Power consumption estimates are only on the GPU profile pages right now.

My development cycles have to go in phases due to my time available, web client then website, repeat.   

So the client just got finished getting a major update last week and fixes etc. 

Now I'm working on a complete UI update to the database site to bring new screens, sorts, rank lists etc. by CPU, GPU, Projects, Atoms and power information tools.   

Power is a big pet project of mine with this as I would like to enable power management for people that have peak hour rate usage billing to the web client.   So that info of cost per million could be used by an individual to choose what cards run etc. at what times of day to help you do research, but not go broke doing it.  The key being, the client can switch WUs to finish automatically (not pause) so they stop as close to the end of your cheap power window, which for most is overnight to early morning.

2 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

Power consumption estimates are only on the GPU profile pages right now.

My development cycles have to go in phases due to my time available, web client then website, repeat.   

So the client just got finished getting a major update last week and fixes etc. 

Now I'm working on a complete UI update to the database site to bring new screens, sorts, rank lists etc. by CPU, GPU, Projects, Atoms and power information tools.   

Power is a big pet project of mine with this as I would like to enable power management for people that have peak hour rate usage billing to the web client.   So that info of cost per million could be used by an individual to choose what cards run etc. at what times of day to help you do research, but not go broke doing it.  The key being, the client can switch WUs to finish automatically (not pause) so they stop as close to the end of your cheap power window, which for most is overnight to early morning.

would you consider more indepth local recording of temps and power specs on each local machine when you switch this to a python script? That is if I have understood previous comments, that in the long run this is to become a merger of HFM, babysitter.

2 hours ago, NetoriusNick said:

would you consider more indepth local recording of temps and power specs on each local machine when you switch this to a python script? That is if I have understood previous comments, that in the long run this is to become a merger of HFM, babysitter.

TLDR
While I never say never.   The first round of the python version is only for PPD and folding machine management (run, stop, finish, etc.)

The Development Issue:

When you get in to the local access to hardware like CPU / GPU temps, power settings, and local recording of data etc. in python you're moving in to software for the local machine that will require Admin permissions to run vs. something that is just massaging the F@H API data that their service is already providing and add information / perspective with my APIs and Server side logic.

The issue is the hardware access layer to get CPU/GPU hardware level in Python is done in part usually though addition of DLLs, frameworks and other fun 3rd party API stuff that that is OS specific.  This means different builds with possible different feature sets / limitations possible for Windows, Linux and OSX in co-ordination with 3rd party libraries and software I do not control.

As this adds various barriers to development, testing and requiring users to run some random stuff I need to bundle in but don't get to see the source code, as admin, I'm reluctant to focus on local hardware access for temps and power settings etc. until I have a basic plain text, platform agnostic python script that can provide what the web extension does first.

The Lack of Community Value Issue:

On a side note, once I have the basics in place I'm not sure I will ever focus on local hardware monitoring features in general, as there are lots of solutions already providing great hardware monitoring logging tools cross platform with giant dev teams to keep on the moving target of os drivers and hardware.

Temps and power targets might be of interest to an individual local user on their hardware, but globally these types of data points don't really change the average PPD by Project calculations (highs, lows, all in-between) for a GPU as what I provide are averages for a GPU on a Project so that you can see if you are above or below the community average if you tweak your system to be the best at PPD, or best at power / thermals.   

The data I provide is an indicator to know if your GPU on a project is close to average compared to everyone, or wildly out of spec above or below, and if out of spec, you need to tinker depending on what you're trying to accomplish.   

The average PPD for your GPU and a Project is always changing unlike regular GPU synthetic benchmarks (which are consistent) as the work units and folding cores are always fluctuating variables in terms of performance which is why I show the averages over the past several weeks on the site as F@H changes stuff up.  Todays hardware specific insights, overclocks etc. might be different or useless tomorrow if F@H changes the WUs or cores.

This is why I recommend using what's already out there for hardware info, I do this looking at the PPD average +/- indicator and charting, then using MSI afterburner to dial in my GPUs until I'm stable and above the average for my GPU and that project.  Then adjust system fans until the thermals are where I'm comfortable, which is subjective.   I do this weekly as I see the PPD trends change for a GPU model globally.

Everything else is really more on the Individual user to figure out what they are trying to accomplish be it more PPD, or better power usage, lower temps and all the environmental (room temp, cooling with air or water/aio, LM2 ;) and and computer settings, silicon lottery, silicon degradation etc. that play in to that which are not captured in software and are too numerous to account for and provide meaningful feedback to the community in terms of the overall database, as that level of detail becomes data tailored to a single users configuration and specific physical hardware settings, environment and issues.  

Perfect example case came up on my one machine for showing the difference by WU while everything else about the system folding is identical which is why averages are used in the database as this is not benchmarking on a 1:1 basis by Machine config, GPU and Project.

Same exact 2060s cards, same production batch, clock and memory settings, folding machine, GPU temps, Room temps, etc.

The important part, Same Project... the 200K difference in PPD is specific to the WU PRCG that is being folded and/or a silicon difference in the GPUs.

Same_GPU_Settings_Same_Project_Difference_by_WU.thumb.PNG.1feeeec19674483a2500744730d794b3.PNG

Part time lurker here.
Love the interface so far, and how CPU stats are being implemented. Basically having it running to add to the database.

May I suggest a way to schedule folding tasks? We have solar and time of use rates where electricity costs basically double so I’d love the ability to have my computer go all out when the sun shines and shut down when it gets pricy.

Probably a long shot but I’d love to see a way to look up  and compare( Recorded PPD per GPU/CPU)  over (Manufacturer’s stated Wattage) in a sortable table. 

1 hour ago, SodaDog said:

May I suggest a way to schedule folding tasks? We have solar and time of use rates where electricity costs basically double so I’d love the ability to have my computer go all out when the sun shines and shut down when it gets pricy.

That would require additional scripts which would probably require additional program downloads or google chrome admin access to your device. Not feasible as of now.

1 hour ago, SodaDog said:

Probably a long shot but I’d love to see a way to look up  and compare( Recorded PPD per GPU/CPU)  over (Manufacturer’s stated Wattage) in a sortable table. 

That would be more realistic to make but not sure it's worth it. Current tables have more than enough info, however down the line, I expect @LAR_Systems will probably make this one too.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz