What type of ssd do i need?

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,
20 minutes ago, Raeks said:

Hi i want to upgrade my laptop (Asus fx505dy-bq002t) with an ssd but im not sure which type i should get. Im a noob with this type of stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. The laptop has hard drive which is 5400 rpm and is very slow. I want to know what types of ssds does this laptop support.

Also will the following ssd work?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MTVVXG7/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_j2oZEbF8BXFCF

Thanks

That SSD should work fine. Don't worry about soldering, it's nothing to concern yourself with as your laptop has slots

Hi i want to upgrade my laptop (Asus fx505dy-bq002t) with an ssd but im not sure which type i should get. Im a noob with this type of stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. The laptop has hard drive which is 5400 rpm and is very slow. I want to know what types of ssds does this laptop support.

Thanks

Edited by Raeks

9 minutes ago, Raeks said:

Thanks

the m.2 should work, but i think some laptops simply have a soldered ssd, youll have to open it up and check

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Just now, ketchupspill said:

the m.2 should work, but i think some laptops simply have a soldered ssd, youll have to open it up and check

Soldered?

11 minutes ago, Raeks said:

Thanks

Here's a review with a partial teardown. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, Raeks said:

Soldered?

soldering is when you melt metal onto a mobo, acts like glue but steel, and unless you have a soldering iron you wont be able to pry it off.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

2 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

soldering is when you melt metal onto a mobo, acts like glue but steel, and unless you have a soldering iron you wont be able to pry it off.

Also important to note: even if you did have a soldering iron, you couldn't just pry it off, get a new one, and solder it back on. The chips are often proprietary from Samsung or SKHynix, and they're usually spread out, along with their storage controller.

For all intents and purposes, 'soldered' in this context means 'not user upgradeable'.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

20 minutes ago, Raeks said:

Thanks

That SSD should work fine. Don't worry about soldering, it's nothing to concern yourself with as your laptop has slots

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Also important to note: even if you did have a soldering iron, you couldn't just pry it off, get a new one, and solder it back on. The chips are often proprietary from Samsung or SKHynix, and they're usually spread out, along with their storage controller.

For all intents and purposes, 'soldered' in this context means 'not user upgradeable'.

I think it is user upgradeable. I have attached the upgrade mannual in attachment

E15004_FX505DY_FX705DY_Upgrade_Guide_WEB.pdf

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Ok thanks! I will go for it then.

1 minute ago, Raeks said:

Ok thanks! I will go for it then.

Just don't expect miracles. Your data will still be on the HDD and game load times won't change

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Just don't expect miracles. Your data will still be on the HDD and game load times won't change

Yes i know. I only play rocket league so i think i can squeeze it in there with the os on the ssd. The rest will go on hdd. Thanks again!