Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice Regarding An Upgrade Of My System

Saren

Budget (including currency): ~$800-1000 US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: My system is mainly used for playing games, but I do quite a bit of 3D modelling and video editing work, not the focus of the system but frequent enough to be a consideration

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Budget: ~$800-1000 US (Willing to go higher just wanted to set an idea of what I can work with)

System Use: Mainly for running games, but also used for a fair amount of work with 3D modelling and rendering software, not the focus of the system however. The main focus of my games involve  high demanding titles like Monster Hunter World

Other Details: I'm not looking for anything that crazy or overboard, I just knew my system was going to have performance issues regarding my CPU after I made quite a large leap with upgrading my GPU (Went from a 1060 to a 2070 Super). It can't quite keep up and struggles a lot on games reaching 100% use and running quite hot at times. Which is my reasoning for why I'm seeking help to get that part of the system updated.

System Information

CPU: Intel Core i7 3960X (Overclocked to 3.9GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH X79

RAM: 16GB DDR3 (1600 MHz if I'm not mistaken, I know it's quite old)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER

PSU: 650W

I'd wait as in august-september nvidia is launching new stuff and amd is rumoured to launch their new ryzen cpu's in september too.

If you can't wait do wait for next months launch of the b550 boards and then get yourself a b550 + 16gb 3000mhz ram + ryzen 3700 (or better) setup.

Also what's cooling the 3960x? It should still be a pretty good gaming cpu so a cooler upgrade which can be moved to a new system can fix your issues. Whats your temps like?

The 3960X is being cooled by a somewhat large heat sink with two fans, I've attached a picture below. I had never had any sort of temperature issues until I made the graphical upgrade and the chip started getting stressed a lot more resulting in some much higher temps than the usual cap of 68-70C that it tends to run at. It wasn't until recently that I ever saw it spike over 70C

20200526_013057.jpg

4 minutes ago, Saren said:

The 3960X is being cooled by a somewhat large heat sink with two fans, I've attached a picture below. I had never had any sort of temperature issues until I made the graphical upgrade and the chip started getting stressed a lot more resulting in some much higher temps than the usual cap of 68-70C that it tends to run at. It wasn't until recently that I ever saw it spike over 70C

20200526_013057.jpg

If you stay under 90c it's more than fine.

So pretty much if you can wait a couple months before you upgrade as a lot of new much better stuff is around the corner.

@narrdarr made a good point at least one of your fans is on backwards.

I definitely think I'll wait for this June for that motherboard release you mentioned! I really do want to get the most out of my system while I've got the time and extra money to do so. So thanks a ton for that. Also relating to the fans that was a complete accident, I cleaned out my case when my new card arrived since I got some compressed air and had spare time on my hands. I can't believe I put that fan on backwards, that makes me worry about all the others, completely dunce moment there for me. 

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you stay under 90c it's more than fine.

So pretty much if you can wait a couple months before you upgrade as a lot of new much better stuff is around the corner.

@narrdarr made a good point at least one of your fans is on backwards.

they both are. you can see they label.

@Saren can you take another pic of your build from multiple angles?

Now that you've mentioned it I really need to double check the flow of my fans throughout my system, my fan directions are so inconsistent. I was overlooking that when I put it back together, wanted to get it finished before I had to leave for quite a bit. Wasn't comfortable having it taken apart while I was gone

20200526_015058.jpg

20200526_015126.jpg

cooler fans appear to be the only ones backwards. Do you have any intake fans?

They're not visible from the pictures I've sent but I have three fans on the front of the case for intake

2 minutes ago, Saren said:

They're not visible from the pictures I've sent but I have three fans on the front of the case for intake

fan haven ye. just flip those two around should be good to go.

Just got them flipped, the air flow feels so much better now, thanks a ton I doubt I would of ever caught that on my own!