GPU memory error while folding is it dangerous in the long term?

Dr0y

My gpu is the Sapphire Rx590 nitro+ SE and I have it at stock speed.  No oc of any sort from my part, it runs at the frequencies it was running out of the box. 

So I've been folding for quite a while and I've noticed that when I was folding with the GPU, hwinfo detects gpu memory error.  I've never experienced any while gaming or doing stress tests with unigine benchmarks or 3dmark ones.  I don't know if those could damage the gpu  memory at some point if it continues to fold and memory errors happens.  I tried it again today and I got 2 of them.   Temps during the last session spiked to  67 C which I believe is fine.  I'd like you opinion on this.  Here is a screenshot of the HWinfo sensors.  Thanx a lot. 

image.png.5a9c6e239d965ea57195e7f7cfd2b82d.png

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

5 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

My gpu is the Sapphire Rx590 nitro+ SE and I have it at stock speed.  No oc of any sort from my part, it runs at the frequencies it was running out of the box. 

So I've been folding for quite a while and I've noticed that when I was folding with the GPU, hwinfo detects gpu memory error.  I've never experienced any while gaming or doing stress tests with unigine benchmarks or 3dmark ones.  I don't know if those could damage the gpu  memory at some point if it continues to fold and memory errors happens.  I tried it again today and I got 2 of them.   Temps during the last session spiked to  67 C which I believe is fine.  I'd like you opinion on this.  Here is a screenshot of the HWinfo sensors.  Thanx a lot. 

image.png.5a9c6e239d965ea57195e7f7cfd2b82d.png

Memory errors can be quite common, and not much of an issue when gaming. Error correction slows down memory access so maybe it's disabled by default, but FaH enables it due to the nature of the work?

A few here and there are nothing to worry about, over a few days of folding my RX580 at stock memory speeds will spit out 4-7 memory errors. It's when they're counting up quickly that it's an issue. If it's 2 errors in say 5 minutes then there's a problem maybe. GDDR5 has ECC built into it so a few errors here and there are easily handled by the ECC.

I don't even have errors as an entry in HWINFO, is it created when an error occurs?

3 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

I don't even have errors as an entry in HWINFO, is it created when an error occurs?

It should be there, but I think only AMD expose this value? My RX580 does, their RX590 does, my Vega56 I can't recall, none of my Nvidia cards do.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

It should be there, but I think only AMD expose this value? My RX580 does, their RX590 does, my Vega56 I can't recall, none of my Nvidia cards do.

Yeah I have Nvidia, doesn't even show the error, thought maybe my HWINFO was out of date.

Well it was about 2 hours of folding so 2 errors/hours.  I'll check to disable the screen saver and see if it's related to it ...  I'm starting the folding at 10h45 pm before going to bed ... I'll see tomorrow morning what is the error count ... it starts at 2 from the previous session.  I've disabled the screen saver.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD