Is there any point in B550?

Hi,

I am looking to build a new computer and people have been telling me to wait for B550 motherboards (I plan on using either 3900x or the new refresh rumoured to be releasing soon). Is there any point in this over B450 (MSI tomahawk)? By the time I will likely want to upgrade again (about 3 years) won't AMD be on AM5 and there will be DDR5 ram, and so a new motherboard will be necessary anyway? Especially with b450 now supporting zen 3, it seems like B550 would be not worth the extra money for me?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

it seems like B550 would be not worth the extra money for me?

but who talked about ''extra money''?

The new boards will replace the old ones...they will look slightly better and have slightly upgraded and more up to date specs and features like it's always the case for about the same price.

If you don't plan on buying a CPU now...do not buy a motherboard now...wait.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

53 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

Hi,

I am looking to build a new computer and people have been telling me to wait for B550 motherboards (I plan on using either 3900x or the new refresh rumoured to be releasing soon). Is there any point in this over B450 (MSI tomahawk)? By the time I will likely want to upgrade again (about 3 years) won't AMD be on AM5 and there will be DDR5 ram, and so a new motherboard will be necessary anyway? Especially with b450 now supporting zen 3, it seems like B550 would be not worth the extra money for me?

Thanks

The "B" chipsets are the "Budget" chipsets.

In a AMD context, these have a few less features, like no SLI/Crossfire support, less PCIe lanes available, less SATA ports and less USB ports. It's not like an Intel H or B chipset where all the high-end options like USB 3.1 ports and PCIe 3.0 lanes get nerfed.  

The AMD X chipsets are basically the same idea as an Intel Z enthusiast chipset. 

https://wccftech.com/intel-amd-chipset-roadmap-z490-z390-x399r-b450-8-core-cpus-reveal/

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3

So the B450 still has some PCIe 2.0 lanes where as B550 is all PCIe3, and X570 has them as all PCIe 4.0

dual-gpu-support.png

Take note of that "For NVMe storage and Graphics cards", you can't put any other PCIe 4.0 cards in.