RX Radeon 480 gpu usage spikes up and down

AaronG 21

I have a RX Radeon 480, and I noticed Recently that the usage goes from 0 to 100 or from low numbers to high numbers, Idk the reason why. It happens with fortnite, cs go, but I haven’t texted on other games like gta five and stuff. I did the benchmark from msi afterburner, and gpu usage was at 100% which I heard that’s what you want to happened, I will answer any info you guys need, please help.

Well, have you tried a driver update and checked if the fans on the card are working properly?

If so, reseat the graphics card and see...

My old 480 did the same, one day updated the driver and usage is not flat on 100%. Do you notice any performance loss or stutter?

5 hours ago, AaronG 21 said:

I have a RX Radeon 480, and I noticed Recently that the usage goes from 0 to 100 or from low numbers to high numbers, Idk the reason why. It happens with fortnite, cs go, but I haven’t texted on other games like gta five and stuff. I did the benchmark from msi afterburner, and gpu usage was at 100% which I heard that’s what you want to happened, I will answer any info you guys need, please help.

Ddu your drivers 

Check your temps

What are the full specs please ?

PSU and how old is it ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 hours ago, JupiteL said:

My old 480 did the same, one day updated the driver and usage is not flat on 100%. Do you notice any performance loss or stutter?

Yes, when I played fortnite my first my FPS used to be really high, I had it up to 200 FPS, and it was locked, now I have it on 120 and when I’m playing a match it goes down even to 80 and then comes back up, not even when I’m moving the camera. What did you do to fix it? 

9 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ddu your drivers 

Check your temps

What are the full specs please ?

PSU and how old is it ?

What do you mean ddu? I’m new with this lol. My temps are good, barely passes 60 degrees, sometimes 65 c but in rare cases, I have a r5 1600, rx Radeon 480 4gb, 8 Gb of ddr4 3200nhz one m.2 ssd and one 500gb hdd, with a thermal take 500w psu which is completely new 

Just now, AaronG 21 said:

What do you mean ddu? I’m new with this lol. My temps are good, barely passes 60 degrees, sometimes 65 c but in rare cases, I have a r5 1600, rx Radeon 480 4gb, 8 Gb of ddr4 3200nhz one m.2 ssd and one 500gb hdd, with a thermal take 500w psu which is completely new 

And a gigabyte b450m bs3h 

1 minute ago, AaronG 21 said:

Do you have xmp on ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

12 hours ago, V.K.Videsh said:

Well, have you tried a driver update and checked if the fans on the card are working properly?

If so, reseat the graphics card and see...

I checked the updates and my gpu is up to date, but I when I first made the built 3 days ago I used to have a different and program, that I never saw spikes. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, but I haven’t reseated the graphics card yet, how can I do it? 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Do you have xmp on ?

I have no idea what that is I’m sorry, could you tell me how to check if I have it on please? 

6 minutes ago, AaronG 21 said:

I have no idea what that is I’m sorry, could you tell me how to check if I have it on please? 

Go to your bios and check :)

it should say enable xmp or xmp profile 1 if you have it on 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Go to your bios and check :)

it should say enable xmp or xmp profile 1 if you have it on 

Gotcha, Thank you! I will do that when I get home. So if I have it on, should I turn it off? If it doesn’t change anything should I put it back to normal? 

1 minute ago, AaronG 21 said:

Gotcha, Thank you! I will do that when I get home. So if I have it on, should I turn it off? If it doesn’t change anything should I put it back to normal? 

You should turn it on 

Now I don't know where it is exactly since I am not familiar with gigabyte uefi but it essentially runs your ram at it's advertised speeds 

Build Log: 

But, won't that affect only cpu performance? And watch a video online for the reseating or watch a Linus tech tips build guide

1 minute ago, V.K.Videsh said:

But, won't that affect only cpu performance? And watch a video online for the reseating or watch a Linus tech tips build guide

What do you mean ? 

Stutters are caused for bad 1% lows in games and with a ryzen cpu where multiple ccxs are a thing and latency is a critical thing running your ram at higher speeds will make everything smoother 

If it relates to the cpu it doesn't mean it will only improve cpu performance plus it doesn't hurt to get free performance lmao  😜

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

You should turn it on 

Now I don't know where it is exactly since I am not familiar with gigabyte uefi but it essentially runs your ram at it's advertised speeds 

When I try to open bios in my keyboard I press delete multiple times but nothing happens, it goes straight up to windows, anything I could do?