How much RAM for Premier?

I previously would edit using large 4k videos from my a6500 and sometimes I would run out or my PC would crash when opening. When I build my desktop I was thinking about getting 32gb but was thinking about doing it in quad channel for 4 sticks of 8 for slightly better gaming performance but then if I need more than 32 I can't do that. 

I think you've got to decide for yourself on this one. Personally I would get 2 sticks so I can upgrade in the future if I needed to, without setting my money on fire by not being able to use my old sticks.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I previously would edit using large 4k videos from my a6500 and sometimes I would run out or my PC would crash when opening. When I build my desktop I was thinking about getting 32gb but was thinking about doing it in quad channel for 4 sticks of 8 for slightly better gaming performance but then if I need more than 32 I can't do that. 

If you are working with large files but can't get anything over 32 

I guess 32 gigs is the way to go but what are you planning on pairing these with ? Or is it the a6500?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I'm not a professional editor and I know that professionals tend to use up to 128GB of RAM. That's also what's recommended by Adobe (basically they recommend to get as much RAM as your motherboard can support). However I really can't imagine a scenario in which 32GB won't be enough. That's already a lot of RAM and anything above that is for comfort rather than necessity. In the very worst cases you'd just need to reboot your PC every one in a while.

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you are working with large files but can't get anything over 32 

I guess 32 gigs is the way to go but what are you planning on pairing these with ? Or is it the a6500?

Do you mean what CPU or what?

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm not a professional editor and I know that professionals tend to use up to 128GB of RAM. That's also what's recommended by Adobe (basically they recommend to get as much RAM as your motherboard can support). However I really can't imagine a scenario in which 32GB won't be enough. That's already a lot of RAM and anything above that is for comfort rather than necessity. In the very worst cases you'd just need to reboot your PC every one in a while.

Yeah I saw for 4k on their site it said 32GB and I think it may be enough but I am not sure. Like my PC with 16gb legit crashed after doing a medium small ish project. 

Just now, Inkz said:

Do you mean what CPU or what

Yes what cpu are you paring it with or is it still the same ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Yes what cpu are you paring it with or is it still the same ?

Well I am on a laptop right now so on it I can't upgrade. My old desktop someone accidentally left it outside in winter so I have to get a new one. I am considering getting a 10900k whenever they are actually in stock. I do like 95% high FPS 1080p gaming and streaming and just occasional premier so I prioritize the FPS over a minute or two in adobe. 

2 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Well I am on a laptop right now so on it I can't upgrade. My old desktop someone accidentally left it outside in winter so I have to get a new one. I am considering getting a 10900k whenever they are actually in stock. I do like 95% high FPS 1080p gaming and streaming and just occasional premier so I prioritize the FPS over a minute or two in adobe. 

I think this answers your question. There's no reason to get more than 32GB for occasional editing.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

I think this answers your question. There's no reason to get more than 32GB for occasional editing.

But the occasional editing I do is with really large file sizes, my A6500 records at 100mb/s

6 minutes ago, Inkz said:

But the occasional editing I do is with really large file sizes, my A6500 records at 100mb/s

Even then, 32 is still plenty of RAM.

4 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Even then, 32 is still plenty of RAM.

Ah ok also how much benefit do you think I would get running quad channel over dual channel for games?

For games I doubt you would have any. Are you sure that your motherboard supports quad channel? It's usually more suited for server applications.

20 minutes ago, Inkz said:

10900k whenever they are actually in stock. I do like 95% high FPS 1080p gaming and streaming and just occasional premier so I prioritize the FPS over a minute or two in adobe. 

the 3900x or the refresh of it 3900xt is going to be a better buy. they are cheaper and given adobe is moving to dGPU supported encoding intel loses any advantage it had in exports.

7 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Ah ok also how much benefit do you think I would get running quad channel over dual channel for games?

a 10900k is only dual channel.

you should always run 2 larger capacity sticks over 4 smaller.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

18 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

the 3900x or the refresh of it 3900xt is going to be a better buy. they are cheaper and given adobe is moving to dGPU supported encoding intel loses any advantage it had in exports.

a 10900k is only dual channel.

you should always run 2 larger capacity sticks over 4 smaller.

Ah gotacha. However for high FPS gaming 10900k is the better buy. 4000 series might change that but not for now. Like I said I do mostly high FPS 1080p gamingi and occasional editing so even though I like AMD Intel is still the better buy for me. 

shouldn't have said quad channel, I mean just 4 sticks

7 minutes ago, Inkz said:

shouldn't have said quad channel, I mean just 4 sticks

Ok this is 2x dual Channel. Same I don't think this would have any significant impact on your fps.

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Ok this is 2x dual Channel. Same I don't think this would have any significant impact on your fps.

4 sticks in a dual cpu channel will hurt the ram speeds you can get.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Just now, GDRRiley said:

4 sticks in a dual cpu channel will hurt the ram speeds you can get.

Gotcha, also I have been looking at the rumors of the Zen 2 refresh which feels strange since Zen 3 is rumored for the Fall. But even then not sure if for the games that are more CPU bound if they can catch up enough. If it comes in and blows them all away then I will go with them, but rumors are rumors and I am trying to build up my stream now for this summer not later so plan is still 10900k when it comes back in for now. 

3 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Gotcha, also I have been looking at the rumors of the Zen 2 refresh which feels strange since Zen 3 is rumored for the Fall. But even then not sure if for the games that are more CPU bound if they can catch up enough. If it comes in and blows them all away then I will go with them, but rumors are rumors and I am trying to build up my stream now for this summer not later so plan is still 10900k when it comes back in for now. 

zen2 refresh can also be achieve by OC, as far as all the rumor channels go it is just better binning. It is looking like july for a launch vs q3 for the start of zen3

AMD yields are in the mid to high 90%s vs at launch 70%s the node is now mature and does a bit better.

they have launched products for short times before better stuff launched. the 1600AF for example.

35 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

zen2 refresh can also be achieve by OC, as far as all the rumor channels go it is just better binning. It is looking like july for a launch vs q3 for the start of zen3

AMD yields are in the mid to high 90%s vs at launch 70%s the node is now mature and does a bit better.

they have launched products for short times before better stuff launched. the 1600AF for example.

Good point, but even then if it it's with an OC it would be minor in comparison to Zen 3. I am hoping that Zen 3 comes in and wipes the floor finally in gaming too but unfortuantly I need my PC for summer and for now it looks like Intel if 10900k WILL EVER COME IN STOCK. Also Ampere is rumored to come in September or August, so I am planning on getting an EVGA GPU with their step up program in hope Ampere comes out by then and if it doesn't I still got a good 90 days and can resell for a slightly worse deal.