Do I need a new PSU?

IAmAndre

Hi again,

I currently have a Be quiet! Pure Power 400W. I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Vega 56 on it. I undervolted the GPU but I'm still getting some occasional crashes. I was about to replace the PSU but now I want to replace the GPU instead. Would a 5700 XT be a better fit? It consumes less power than the Vega out of the box and I would still undervolt it.

For the record, my Vega consumes about 175W currently but apparently it has some spikes of power consumption at times, causing the crashes. So I believe I could get a lower consumption with the 5700XT but I'm not sure about those spikes.

Thanks

Your money is better spent on a better power supply.

The difference in most use cases between a Vega 56 and 5700 XT is negligible.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Your money is better spent on a better power supply.

The difference in most use cases between a Vega 56 and 5700 XT is negligible.

Well I have a blower style design and the noise is atrocious. So it's either spend $300 on an aftermarket cooler, $500 on a custom loop for the whole system or sell the GPU and buy a new one. So I think the later in the best bang for the buck.

32 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Well I have a blower style design and the noise is atrocious. So it's either spend $300 on an aftermarket cooler, $500 on a custom loop for the whole system or sell the GPU and buy a new one. So I think the later in the best bang for the buck.

Imo I think being strategic with your purchases is more important then noise 

I recommend PSU and then wait for ampere to see what it offers then you can upgrade if you decide to

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Imo I think being strategic with your purchases is more important then noise 

I recommend PSU and then wait for ampere to see what it offers then you can upgrade if you decide to

The issue is I won't be able to get anything from the Vega if I wait for too long. On the other hand I'm totally happy with the performance of the GPU so getting 20% more performance and less noise for around $200 (assuming that I'm able to sell the Vega for $200) is appealing to me, especially if I don't have to replace my PSU.

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

The issue is I won't be able to get anything from the Vega if I wait for too long. On the other hand I'm totally happy with the performance of the GPU so getting 20% more performance and less noise for around $200 (assuming that I'm able to sell the Vega for $200) is appealing to me, especially if I don't have to replace my PSU.

I mean a 400w PSU can be many things 

If you want something comparable to the Vega 56 that is more efficient I guess the 1660 super now correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 56 is about the same as a 1070 sorry my Vega numbers are kind of blurry in my head but if it is like a 1070 then the closest cheapest option is the 1660 super which goes for 230ish for a decent model but the PSU as I said can be many things it can have barely 400w on the 12v rail maybe it doesn't have that many pcie cables it really depend

While it is still be quite 

Be quite doesn't have the best PSUs sometimes and they do have some pretty bad ones 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

I mean a 400w PSU can be many things 

If you want something comparable to the Vega 56 that is more efficient I guess the 1660 super now correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 56 is about the same as a 1070 sorry my Vega numbers are kind of blurry in my head but if it is like a 1070 then the closest cheapest option is the 1660 super which goes for 230ish for a decent model but the PSU as I said can be many things it can have barely 400w on the 12v rail maybe it doesn't have that many pcie cables it really depend

While it is still be quite 

Be quite doesn't have the best PSUs sometimes and they do have some pretty bad ones 

When I benchmark my undervolted Vega 56 I'm a little bit below the 2060 and I could definitely match it by overclocking it if I had a better PSU, and even beat the 2060 with a better cooling.

This PSU delivers only up to 280W through this 12V rail. As I said it's fine with my undervolted values but I'm still getting some occasional crashes.

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

So it's either spend $300 on an aftermarket cooler

Uh.... Those are usually closer to $50

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Uh.... Those are usually closer to $50

Well if you can find one at this price that's compatible with Vega, I'll be all over it.

8 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Well if you can find one at this price that's compatible with Vega, I'll be all over it.

The Accelero Xtreme apparently isn't compatible, but the Raijintek Morpheus II should be, kind of. Not in stock atm, and not quite $50, but way less than $300

https://imgur.com/a/ZvZFs

https://www.amazon.com/Raijintek-Morpheus-CORE-Universal-Cooler/dp/B00R6YQYQ2

:)

It's an end of life product so very hard to find right now. What is easier to find is the Aphacool Eiswolf, which would cost me $200 and an extra $100 in shipping and import fees. It would be a better deal to sell the Vega for around $200 and pay an extra $200 to get a 5700XT.