Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, 

Unfortunately my pc has finally bitten the dust and I now require a temporary pc (which will become by mothers system in 6 months after purchase in August) until I buy my new system at the end of FEB 2021. I would require it to be able to run most games at 1080p / 1440p and have the capability to run light/mid 3D cad / rendering and adobe suite work. I have a budget of £730 for the tower and £150 for a monitor. 

 

This is what I have come up with (I have a 500gb ssd lying around to add to it), also ignore the PSU I cant seem to find any great ones so im going to wait until one comes into stock (the psu in the list is a price place holder). All opinions welcome :D

 

 

Many thanks for the help in advance, stay safe,

Lex

Link to post
Share on other sites

No SSD for OS  in 2020? Boy........

 

I suggest you to wait for B550 board. Stronger vrm than b450.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AshRiver said:

No SSD for OS  in 2020? Boy........

 

I suggest you to wait for B550 board. Stronger vrm than b450.

 

 

I have a 500gb samsung 860 evo lying around to add to it for OS.

 

Will I really need b550 with a 3600, not to mention the wait with bios issues which seem to be inevitable with AMD? 

 

Thanks for help, 

Lex :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

I have a 500gb samsung 860 evo lying around to add to it for OS.

 

Will I really need b550 with a 3600, not to mention the wait with bios issues which seem to be inevitable with AMD? 

 

Thanks for help, 

Lex :D 

B550 support Ryzen 3000 out of the box without any issue. B550 is alternative to X570 without active chipset fan. B550 and X570 also support upcoming Ryzen 4000 desktop aka Zen 3. In addition, B550 boards will have much better vrm than B450. 

 

Since you are building a new pc, I would get b550 instead old b450. B550 will come out in June or July. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexander Underwood said:

I have a 500gb samsung 860 evo lying around to add to it for OS.

 

Will I really need b550 with a 3600, not to mention the wait with bios issues which seem to be inevitable with AMD? 

 

Thanks for help, 

Lex :D 

If you can't wait until June 16th then the Tomahawk is fine. Should support Ryzen 4000 as well as it has a bigger bios chip.

Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

If you can't wait until June 16th then the Tomahawk is fine. Should support Ryzen 4000 as well as it has a bigger bios chip.

I'm buying in August so I will have the time to wait for the release of B550, however my concern is that, in true AMD fashion, there will be bios issues for a long while (a minimum of 3 months ) which I cant exactly afford to wait for. 

 

Also, correct me if im wrong, but I heard AMD will be removing support for older ryzen chips in order to free space for Ryzen 4000 bios rather than only relying on boards with a larger bios chip.

 

Thanks for the help,

Lex :D  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AshRiver said:

B550 support Ryzen 3000 out of the box without any issue. B550 is alternative to X570 without active chipset fan. B550 and X570 also support upcoming Ryzen 4000 desktop aka Zen 3. In addition, B550 boards will have much better vrm than B450. 

 

Since you are building a new pc, I would get b550 instead old b450. B550 will come out in June or July. 

I have major concerns however for bios issues.... It's in AMD's nature to have a period of a few months where bios issues make your life a living hell.

 

I'm not to concerned about the vrms since the tomahawk has solid vrms already (sure not good enough perhaps for a 3900x, however, ill be using a x570 mobo when i build my main rig in Feb).

 

It would be nice to have a solid upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 but like I said at the top, I have concerns for the bios on each board.

 

Guess I'll just have to wait and see in June / July.

 

Many thanks for the help :D ,

Stay safe,

Lex 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Alexander Underwood said:

I have major concerns however for bios issues.... It's in AMD's nature to have a period of a few months where bios issues make your life a living hell.

And a B450 isn't immune to it either when the new AGESA version comes out for Zen 3 support. They had problems with 3000 series boosting last year too, and it's more down to AMD ironing out AGESA for a new CPU architecture rather than for the new chipset. For the current Zen 2 CPUs, you should have no problems with the current version of AGESA on 400- and 500-series chipsets. B550 is simply the better option for your build. If you're worried about BIOS issues, then wait a few months after 4000 series launch before you drop one onto your motherboard for AGESA to mature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×